British Speedway Forum
dantodan

27th March 2016: Newcastle Diamonds V Workington Comets Ian Thomas Shield

Berwick`s Theo Pijper comes into the Workington team to replace Claus Vissing who is ill.

Take it Theos ok himself now after Thursday night

Take it Theos ok himself now after Thursday night

Looks like it.

Sadly Mason Campton has been with drawn from this meeting with a broken collar bone, hopefully he will be back asap.

• Like 1

tero now out. all fun and games at rough today .

Aarnio ruled out for the Diamonds with recurring knee injury

Adam Roynon has hurt his wrist but is able to continue riding

dan bewley imaking his debut at newcastle tonight . good luck kid and stay on .

newcastle finally halt the run of 7 ht winners on the trot from the comets ..look like i missed a good meeting . but still a happy bunny .

Edited by jenga

ladies should be watching there figures

I'm watching mine get bigger lol

as long as you can still see your toes ,you're ok .

no comment , yet . :shock::shock::rofl:

) (

Edited by jenga

as long as you can still see your toes ,you're ok .

Dolly Parton hasn't for many years and she's as thin as a rake

She and I have something in common (and I'm not thin as a rake or a c&w singer!) ;)

It was cold out there and the meeting dragged on longer than I would have liked.

Also quite a lot of writing for cold hands with both Aarnio and Campton pulling out after one ride. Hard then to draw any real conclusions on either side although relieved to win as it didn't look likely with two heats to go. The Diamonds were very slow out of the gate and Worrall, Lindgren and Kus all had bike problems. Lewis Rose looked a lot leaner than last year and rode very well and Danny Phillips had a decent home debut and looks good enough to pick up points. Lambert made a pleasing start - wasn't gating but made a decent one when it mattered in heat 15. Ludvig needs to get his bike sorted (same old) - not good for him to jump on a rooky reserve's bike and find it's got loads more speed than his own.

Hansen was flying out of the start other than making two shockers in heat 15 (race re-run) which made Lambert's task of getting around Wells easier. Wells as ever was excellent here and Pjiper did his job. Nice to see Roynon complete a meeting here without getting badly injured.....just. Really hope he has a clear run this year.

Early days but hope Tero can get his knee sorted as he's a vital component as was proved tonight. The main question for me is how often this Diamonds septet will hit the track together. Thursday is a case in point. Ok it's only a challenge but with King's Lynn scheduled to take on Belle Vue we'll presumably be without Lambert, Rose & Worrall, possibly Aarnio as well. Thursday's and Friday's look real problems for the Diamonds and with no less than 7 tracks running on those nights the Diamonds could be resembling a PL select on the road this year.

Edited by NJC71
  • Like 2

It's been a long, long, long winter...glad I could finally take Mrs S to the Speedway again. Having both thawed out now, a few thoughts...

Firstly well done to Workington for pushing so hard for a near victory. The sensational performances of Kenneth Hansen and Ricky Wells, plus 3 Diamonds retirements and the loss of key Diamonds man Tero Aarnio, were key factors in tonight's result IMHO.

Regarding the Newcastle performance: first of all, good to see a strong debut from our star number 1 Robert Lambert. 13/15, dropping points only to Kenneth Hansen who was on fire tonight, and Ricky Wells who is pretty much sure to be s**t hot around Brough Park amongst other tracks. A pleasing start for Lambert who seems to be on a pretty brutal schedule; and he's likely to improve even further on what was tonight a strong performance in the number 1 race jacket.

Rose scored in all of 6 rides, so another strong start for a rider I'm pleased to see in Diamonds colours again this year; I think Rose will kick on this year.

Danny Phillips: the lad put a lot of laps of practice in, so it's good to see 4 points on the board on his home debut. Also nice to see Matt Williamson of Workington battle out 2 points in his 6th and 7th races after not getting on the scoreboard in the previous 5. I think the jury is still out on the 3-pointer rule but certainly tonight both of them battled hard and ultimately got on the scoreboard.

Matej Kus: rotten luck tonight, especially considering he shed a chain when leading the previously-unstoppable Kenneth Hansen. Welcome to the team Matej - looking forward to seeing you banging in more points shortly.

Lindgren: after two second places and a retirement, my favourite Diamonds rider reminded us that 'it's the man not the machine' by easing a restarted heat 14 on a borrowed Danny Phillips bike. Some bad gates but time to work on them and it looked like a lot of the issues were bike-related. At the end of the day if a team has a number 4 as talented as Lindgren then it's not wildly unreasonable to suspect they might win something(s) this season.

Worrall had bike issues tonight, but is top-notch and another signing we should be glad to have.

The riders mentioned above have a lot of positives - the final piece in the jigsaw (other than riders getting their bikes sorted) would seem to be a fit-again Tero, what a breath of fresh air he was last season...

tero now out. all fun and games at rough today .

Tero's injury pre-dated today's fixture; nothing to do with Brough park. He rode one heat and realised he couldn't continue. My wife asked me why he seemed so slow to walk up for the parade lap. I said it was probably his steel shoe...well let's just say Mrs S was right and there was more to it than the steel shoe...

i just said it was fun and game. nothing to do with the track .

• Like 2