British Speedway Forum
SCB

No Woffinden....

Mikebv why you make up some for why what he does is ok ..there plenty of classics coming up.not sure why you missed thous out

Is this deliberate, or are you really unable to write legibly?

Got to admit how terribly disappointed I feel by this.

I'm not going to jump on the Tai-bashing bandwaggon.

I have been mightily impressed by the guy over the last few seasons.

Obviously on the track but also by how he handled himself off-track as well.

Odd, for me, but I do feel just a little 'let down' by this though..

Which is a pity. But no more.

• Like 8

I'd say the semi-finals straddling the Warsaw GP ( with Poland v Rest of the World scheduled for the 15th) are more than a possible reason, I'd say they were THE reason. Will be interesting to see if Tai rides in the the latter meeting.

Another possibility then. Maybe he wanted to be seeded direct to the final but they wouldn't let him.

• Like 3

Another possibility then. Maybe he wanted to be seeded direct to the final but they wouldn't let him.

Surely he should be seeded though? What is the point of making the World Champion turn up for the semis. Could understand years ago when the field when every rider was top quality but now it makes no sense.

• Like 4

While its disappointing to see Tai not compete this year, could a possible reason be the fact that the two semi finals take place on the 13th and 15th May while the GP is in Warsaw on the 14th and the final is two days after the GP in Horsens.

Fair point. There is some mechanism, is there not, to draft a rider into the British final? I seem to recall it being introduced after Tai went out in a rain-shortened semi?

Very disappointing decision on the face of it for Britain's top rider to opt out of his national competition.

• Like 1

this may go against the grain but imho a sensible move from arguably Britains most professional speedway rider. The guy will have a calendar and if he deems a meeting less "important" than others then of course he will have to cut down on his commitments, its not just a case of two meetings its also the logistics, cost etc that will also come into the equation.

• Like 3

Surely he should be seeded though? What is the point of making the World Champion turn up for the semis. Could understand years ago when the field when every rider was top quality but now it makes no sense.

I agree. Surely Grand Prix riders can be seeded to the final. They are effectively there as 'wild cards'anyway.

If that is the reason, then it's pretty short sighted from the organisers.

• Like 2

You must remember he is in his mid 20's now and all the demands on him racing in speedway some of us can only dream of plus his main opposition is only in his mid 40's ,being a great rider is not always a guarantee of being a great person .

I agree. Surely Grand Prix riders can be seeded to the final. They are effectively there as 'wild cards'anyway.

If that is the reason, then it's pretty short sighted from the organisers.

Why not just give him the title ,save bothering him in his prep tor the GP'S

• Like 2

You must remember he is in his mid 20's now and all the demands on him racing in speedway some of us can only dream of plus his main opposition is only in his mid 40's ,being a great rider is not always a guarantee of being a great person .

Why not just give him the title ,save bothering him in his prep tor the GP'S

The thing is, it's to the benefit of everyone to have as strong a field as possible for the British Final.

What is the main motivation for the riders these days? Is it to win or to qualify for Cardiff?

Woffinden and Harris are already riding at Cardiff. Their own positions in this meeting are already different from all the other riders in it.

For me it makes sense to seed Grand Prix riders to the final.

You'd get a lot more people watching if Woffinden, in particular, was there. One would hope they at least did everything in their power to try and get him there.

• Like 2

I think it was summed up on here quite nicely last year when someone said he had a total lack of class. Exactly right!

The more you see of him, the less you like.

Swearing on tv last year, great move! How often do you see the likes of Rooney swearing on tv? Never, and there's very good reason for it.

TW doesn't put any bums on seats, no loss, let him go. The British fans should find themselves another hero.

• Like 3

Disappointing ... yes. Understandable ... certainly. It is a long time now since the British Championship carried any great kudos and it seems to me that Tai Woffinden is simply putting his priorities in order in a way that he believes will give him the best chance of success on the world stage.

This stance isn't unique, for example, there have been a number of British World Boxing Champions over the years, but how many of them also competed for the title of British Champion once they had moved onto bigger things? Did they get slated as being unpatriotic when they didn't? Not that I recall.

• Like 3

Got to admit how terribly disappointed I feel by this.

I'm not going to jump on the Tai-bashing bandwaggon.

I have been mightily impressed by the guy over the last few seasons.

Obviously on the track but also by how he handled himself off-track as well.

Odd, for me, but I do feel just a little 'let down' by this though..

Which is a pity. But no more.

this is a good post - he must have known what furore there would be - surely he could leave the bikes, etc to his staff and just turn up and ride just to avoid all the crap thats coming his way. I am genuinely puzzled how he could be so daft.

The thing is, it's to the benefit of everyone to have as strong a field as possible for the British Final.

What is the main motivation for the riders these days? Is it to win or to qualify for Cardiff?

Woffinden and Harris are already riding at Cardiff. Their own positions in this meeting are already different from all the other riders in it.

For me it makes sense to seed Grand Prix riders to the final.

You'd get a lot more people watching if Woffinden, in particular, was there. One would hope they at least did everything in their power to try and get him there.

Take your point great rider to watch but I for one am fed up with him moaning about his workload ,most riders would give their high teeth for the kit and backup he has never mind the rewards but there is always a price!!!

• Like 1

Its a major cock up on his part in my opinion, in years to come he will look back and think why on earth did I make that decision. I agree that maybe a few riders should be seeded through to the final but where does it stop, how many ? Bomber, Scott, Cookie ?? It does stick 2 fingers up at us as fans and I thought he had given a years break to his charity work to concentrate on speedway and forgive me for being stupid but is the British title not something to be proud of? no matter what line up it is its still steeped in history. His previous titles and any future titles are now steeped in controversy and bitterness,He could go on and beat Scott's record but it's tainted.

In my eyes he may be world champion but the ego has well and truly landed. Scott Nicholls and Chris Harris may not have the talent as Tai but will always be thought of and regarded as great British riders, the battles they had were great and they wanted that British title above league titles any day. Modern world and speedway today goes to show that 2 meetings for the worlds best rider in his prime against the old boys and Cookie is far too much for him to deal with and will burn him out.

Edited by Coventry_Bee
  • Like 2

Its a major cock up on his part in my opinion, in years to come he will look back and think why on earth did I make that decision. I agree that maybe a few riders should be seeded through to the final but where does it stop, how many ? Bomber, Scott, Cookie ?? It does stick 2 fingers up at us as fans and I thought he had given a years break to his charity work to concentrate on speedway and forgive me for being stupid but is the British title not something to be proud of? no matter what line up it is its still steeped in history. His previous titles and any future titles are now steeped in controversy and bitterness,He could go on and beat Scott's record but will it's tainted.

In my eyes he may be world champion but the ego has well and truly landed. Scott Nicholls and Chris Harris may not have the talent as Tai but will always be thought of and regarded as great British riders, the battles they had were great and they wanted that British title above league titles any day. Modern world and speedway today goes to show that 2 meetings for the worlds best rider in his prime against the old boys and Cookie is far too much for him to deal with and will burn him out.

Scott Nicholls opted out of riding for Team GB.

Surely that's more of a snub to British Speedway then pulling out of an individual meeting that is of little significance to riders already in the Grand Prix.

I guess Scott's parents never emigrated when he was a kid, so he gets less flak.

• Like 4