British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Smith

Could Woffy Be Making An El Return?

Tai is a nice person? Not what I've heard and he comes across as very arrogant, more so than any of the other Aussies. As for him not riding in the Uk, you don't see any of the top Danes abandoning the Danish league, do you?

Tbh as long as it isn't at Poole not bothered if he rides in UK again or not but for outsiders looking in it doesn't look good not riding in your home country. Bit embarrassing really.

• Like 2

My issue with Tai is that for a long time he actively promoted how much he did for British speedway and a number of his actions such as not riding in the uk, missing the British final seem to suggest the opposite. Whilst I am not someone who will cheer for him as its my choice paying my entry fee, I certainly would not boo him as every rider deserves respect as they put their life and well being on the line every time they race. Where I am impressed with Tai is the work he has done to raise money for charity and like all speedway riders backs and supports riders who have had life changing accidents e.g. Darcy Ward.

Tai is a nice person? Not what I've heard and he comes across as very arrogant, more so than any of the other Aussies. As for him not riding in the Uk, you don't see any of the top Danes abandoning the Danish league, do you?

Tbh as long as it isn't at Poole not bothered if he rides in UK again or not but for outsiders looking in it doesn't look good not riding in your home country. Bit embarrassing really.

he still rides in Australia :lol:

Edited by speedibee
  • Like 1

What is embarrassing is how low Britain has sunk in the speedway world.

That's the fault of those running the sport .. not the rider.

I know where my blame lies.

Typical attack on Tai tho , whilst I'm displeased he has given up the EL and Wolves he is no different to the scores before him.

You all need to look higher than Tai for blame.

he still rides in Australia :lol:

Not for a couple of seasons.

• Like 6

My issue with Tai is that for a long time he actively promoted how much he did for British speedway and a number of his actions such as not riding in the uk, missing the British final seem to suggest the opposite. Whilst I am not someone who will cheer for him as its my choice paying my entry fee, I certainly would not boo him as every rider deserves respect as they put their life and well being on the line every time they race. Where I am impressed with Tai is the work he has done to raise money for charity and like all speedway riders backs and supports riders who have had life changing accidents e.g. Darcy Ward.

The debates on BSF are about speedway , whatever woffinden has done for chartity is irrelevant to speedway , anyhow doing work for charity says nothing of persons real character and does nothing to offset wrongdoings of any form , otherwise Jimmy saville would still be revered by one and all

Speedibee when Tai's character is hammered on here all things should be considered. Doing work for and raising money for charity should always be commended in my view. If you think differently good luck to you but these charities help many people often relying on donations and well known people publicising their cause. Before you respond with another post about what I can and can't post, don't worry I won't post again or stay on this forum. As it'll it's full of nonsense like I have been reading life is too short. What's wrong with British speedway... It's the supporters who are just so negative all the time. Good luck all and goodbye

• Like 3

A British world champion who cant be arsed to support the top league in this country deserves all the distain thrown at him. A real shame because having the world champ in the EL would have been a big draw card and he would have shown support for the country that gave him the brake.

Instead he would rather ride in Poland and Sweden. I cant fathom why anyone would want to support him after basically craping on his own country's fans.

As far as I am concerned he can carry on singing Waltzing Matilda and after refusing to ride here hope he never gets a spoty nomination he so desperately craves.

hypocrisy.....what about a top british club who failed to support the last british world champ before wuffy

deciding to sign a foreigner instead

• Like 6

Chris Harris!

Exactly. Bomber has set up 'Team Harris' which includes several young riders and I believe young mechanics too. Some of them will actually travel to GPs with him.

• Like 2

What is embarrassing is how low Britain has sunk in the speedway world.

That's the fault of those running the sport .. not the rider.

I know where my blame lies.

Typical attack on Tai tho , whilst I'm displeased he has given up the EL and Wolves he is no different to the scores before him.

That's the thing though, the scores before him haven't been a British world champion. Of course Tai is fully entitled to give up Britain and just ride abroad and good luck to him, but he is always going to be a 'marmite' kind of a rider because of it. I'm another who wants to like him, but there's a fine line between confidence and arrogance and he seems to be veering evermore towards the latter.

Edited by Terry
  • Like 2

That's the thing though, the scores before him haven't been a British world champion. Of course Tai is fully entitled to give up Britain and just ride abroad and good luck to him, but he is always going to be a 'marmite' kind of a rider because of it. I'm another who wants to like him, but there's a fine line between confidence and arrogance and he seems to be veering evermore towards the latter.

He seems a marmite kind of rider, no idea why. Our best rider for many a year.

• Like 1

I doubt Danish riders get slagged off by Danish fans as much as the British World Champion (born in Scunthorpe to British parents) does by a certain section of, so called, British speedway fans.

If Tai had ridden for the Pirates, Poole fans would be tripping over themselves defending him. These comments just convey a typical Poole bias I'm afraid.

Ask yourself this, if your club signed Tai Woffinden, would you stop going, or would you go and not support him, even boo him?

• Like 2

Had ward not had his tragic crash them he would of been back in British speedway this season.

Also holder,Johnson,NKI, Zagar ,Doyle all chasing the world title but are not giving up British speedway.

Too many weak excuses for tai and it's time those in charge make an example of him and not pick him or any rider to represent there country who doesn't compete in British speedway for the sale of the future of the sport.

Wrong, he still would have to fit in any teams average and no one would make those changes for the odd meeting.

You have more chance of red rum being found than this happening.

red rum never disappeared it was shergar.

Had ward not had his tragic crash them he would of been back in British speedway this season.

Also holder,Johnson,NKI, Zagar ,Doyle all chasing the world title but are not giving up British speedway.

Too many weak excuses for tai and it's time those in charge make an example of him and not pick him or any rider to represent there country who doesn't compete in British speedway for the sale of the future of the sport.

OK, we get it, Robert72, you don't like Tai Woffinden. Doesn't mean you have to keep saying it over and over again. And, would you really want Tai to be excluded from Team GB in the SWC? Really? Cut off nose to spite face? Lessen your country's chances of competing and possibly getting on the rostrum, or better? Deprive the people who do want to watch the best team that GB can put out and want to watch the two time British World Champion ride in this country, the opportunity of doing so? The one true world class rider Britain has. A British sportsman who excels in his field. And for what purpose? To teach him a lesson, or to satisfy you? A very poor and sad point of view in my opinion.

(I won't point out the miss-spelling you made in your last sentence, but it did make me chuckle. Thank you. I just wonder how much they will get for it.)

Exactly. Bomber has set up 'Team Harris' which includes several young riders and I believe young mechanics too. Some of them will actually travel to GPs with him.

I love Chris Harris to bits, and his Team Harris initiative is great, but he is taking young riders and young mechanics to SGP's with him? British and Polish league meetings, I would understand, but SGP's, really?

He seems a marmite kind of rider, no idea why. Our best rider for many a year.

There's no doubting he's our best rider since Loram, I mean he'll never be liked by everyone.