British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Smith

Could Woffy Be Making An El Return?

Your entitled to your opinion but im english and my country comes before any club allegiance. I may not have liked Havelock that much but im glad he won the world crown.

I dont understand that in a Gp if there was a race between Holder , Ward , Janowski and Harris that an English person would want Harris to come last because the other 3 riders rode for their Poole club. That to me is just strange.

By all means cheer for Holder in a race of no Brits but when he is up against Harris you must want the Brit surely??

Would you still cheer for Holder if say he moved to another Elite league club? If the answer is no then you put your club before country and i have no idea why people do it.

For my sins im a West Ham fan and do i want Dimitri Payet to score for France if we play him??? No i want him to be sent off if anything!

Please don't apologise for being a West Ham fan :t:

red rum never disappeared it was shergar.

yes, that was already pointed out several posts before yours and I'd already admitted I was a numpty.

There's no doubting he's our best rider since Loram, I mean he'll never be liked by everyone.

jealousy as with all riders who attain great things and attach themselves to one team.

wolves fans in fairness are pretty fair when it comes to praising/criticising Tai

DUMP is a bit harsh. Pete, like me, is no Spring Chicken and I don't think he envisaged doing more than a couple of years when they first got together.

Why are people making mountains out of molehills?

Tai employing Lemon to his GP team is no different to Rosco employing Aussies for Swindon.

Completely irrelevant.

Edited by stevebrum

As for all the bad mouthers on here, lets not forget where L Messi,C Ronaldo, Neymar,G Bale and many many more pro footballers earn their crust, yes that's correct not in their home country.

Give the guy a break, if you want to blame anybody lets start and end with the good old BSPA, after all they have let our sport decline over the years.

• Like 5

So what night would you suggest so he would come rushing back to ride, along with all the other G.P. stars? Not Friday's now Poland seem to have taken that day over as well.

I'm not suggesting a night, just pointing out the Danish League is a completely different situation.

As for all the bad mouthers on here, lets not forget where L Messi,C Ronaldo, Neymar,G Bale and many many more pro footballers earn their crust, yes that's correct not in their home country.

Give the guy a break, if you want to blame anybody lets start and end with the good old BSPA, after all they have let our sport decline over the years.

Agreed and lets not forget where most folk earn their wages, generally not at the company that trained them in the first place :)

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 1

DUMP is a bit harsh. Pete, like me, is no Spring Chicken and I don't think he envisaged doing more than a couple of years when they first got together.

Three, apparently, which is what happened.

• Like 1

I doubt Danish riders get slagged off by Danish fans as much as the British World Champion (born in Scunthorpe to British parents) does by a certain section of, so called, British speedway fans.

If Tai had ridden for the Pirates, Poole fans would be tripping over themselves defending him. These comments just convey a typical Poole bias I'm afraid.

Ask yourself this, if your club signed Tai Woffinden, would you stop going, or would you go and not support him, even boo him?

I'm a Poole fan who will ALWAYS be supporting our current best BRIT. Like Gavan and a few others I can see beyond the crock most of you are crowing!

I would like to make one thing clear, which didn't come over on my previous posts, as I am quite angry on this subject.

I do believe Woffinden is a great rider and worthy World Champion. His work for charity is exemplorary and he deserves praise for his work in this field. No other rider off the top of my head has done so much for such worthy causes.

But it does frustrate me that we have a British World Champion who has shunned his own country's league to entertain fans in other countrys rather than his own. He might feel its a pain to ride in the EL but as a Brit and as a World Champion is is an ambassador to the sport and should have helped re-ignite the sport by riding here. Instead he has chosen to be invisible to the British speedway public and his time as World Champion is a waste for the sport in the UK when it could have been used well.

Not only has he alienated UK fans with his blatant disregard to the EL, but he has also probably missed out on quite a but of sponsorship.

Furthermore, a world champion normally has a huge following from his own country behind him, but his actions have split his support in the UK, as this thread clearly shows.

A shame IMO and one he will probably look back at at after his career is over with regret.

Two sweeping statements which are upheld by the minority. Let's just see how many Brits cheer for the lad in Cardiff...far more than those that will choose not too. Case closed m'lud.

Oh look dump the Brit for a Aussie how fkn predictable

Good old Pete is getting on a bit now...unlike Mark Lemon. I think that probably has something to do with it somehow...

Bang on the money :t:

• Like 1

I'm a Poole fan who will ALWAYS be supporting our current best BRIT. Like Gavan and a few others I can see beyond the crock most of you are crowing!

Apologies Chris, good to hear and, yes, I should not have used such a broad brush and rather have put: a typical bias from certain Poole supporters. Thank you for picking me up on this.

• Like 1

You cannot compare football to speedway that's where your argument fails.

However rugby is a growing sport and unless you play rugby in the country of birth you are Not selected for your country, that sport is growing fast in this country.

Tai has set a bad example to British kids that he can snub the British final,he can snub the Ben fund because he is world champion and doesn't need to do what he doesn't want too.

However rugby is a growing sport and unless you play rugby in the country of birth you are Not selected for your country, that sport is growing fast in this country.

Tai has set a bad example to British kids that he can snub the British final,he can snub the Ben fund because he is world champion and doesn't need to do what he doesn't want too.

you really are quite a tiresome loathsome individual.

your agenda on every thread leads back to Tai and quite frankly we are all a bit bored of you now pal.

If you had half a brain cell you would understand the reasons why Tai isnt riding the British Final yet you choose to ignore or in your case lack the intellect to have any sort of reasonable debate.

• Like 1

So why didn't Tai ask for a bye of the semis because of logistics rather than a miss of the whole comp? Where does the final fit into his hectic schedule?

• Like 2

care to enlighten us as to where L messi . C Ronaldo . Neymar , Gbale . learned to play football Until of international standard ? did they come up through the ranks of a country other than their own and be supported and encouraged in that country ?

your agenda on every thread leads back to Tai and quite frankly we are all a bit bored of you now pal.

If you had half a brain cell you would understand the reasons why Tai isnt riding the British Final yet you choose to ignore or in your case lack the intellect to have any sort of reasonable debate.

Absolute classic . Baaaahhhh baaaahhh!!!!

I would like to make one thing clear, which didn't come over on my previous posts, as I am quite angry on this subject.

I do believe Woffinden is a great rider and worthy World Champion. His work for charity is exemplorary and he deserves praise for his work in this field. No other rider off the top of my head has done so much for such worthy causes.

But it does frustrate me that we have a British World Champion who has shunned his own country's league to entertain fans in other countrys rather than his own. He might feel its a pain to ride in the EL but as a Brit and as a World Champion is is an ambassador to the sport and should have helped re-ignite the sport by riding here. Instead he has chosen to be invisible to the British speedway public and his time as World Champion is a waste for the sport in the UK when it could have been used well.

Not only has he alienated UK fans with his blatant disregard to the EL, but he has also probably missed out on quite a but of sponsorship.

Furthermore, a world champion normally has a huge following from his own country behind him, but his actions have split his support in the UK, as this thread clearly shows.

A shame IMO and one he will probably look back at at after his career is over with regret.

He has annoyed a FEW fans not the majority not by a long chalk yet quite simply you like to have a pop when not knowing the facts.

His actions HAVE NOT split support. There will be a few fools like yourself who may feel the need to boo him but the vast majority will be cheering him on as a BRITISH WORLD CHAMPION - BORN TO BRITISH PARENT - WHO HAD NO CHOICE WHERE HE GREW UP - AND WILL OBVIOUSLY HAVE A SOFT SPOT FOR AUSTRALIA! Not sure if i can actually spell that out any clearer.

Oh and you also mention that this thread clearly shows the split!!!! Well just for your information when i posted that the people slagging off Tai are pathetic i got 23 LIKES , yes 23 , not 3 or 4 that the posts of the Tai haters get 23 incase you misread what i wrote. That hardly shows a divided thread really.

And look at the Tai haters on here, yourself, speedibee, Robert72. Not exactly a line up of people that hold any credibility as a decent poster on here.

And yes the odd Poole fan backing you up. Seems there is still that bee in the bonnet of Poole fans that Tai was actually a better, and far more consistent rider than Darcy, and likely to keep adding world crowns. Some Poole fans hated that fact. Sadly the tragedy that happened means we will never know if Darcy would have been as good as Tai

You have more chance of red rum being found than this happening.

Edited by George Dodds

You lack the intelligence like many who run the sport and that's why it's in such a mess.

You are so happy then that tai refused to ride in the Ben fund ?

You are happy that a lot of the media will avoid the British final because world champion will be missing. Great for the sport but your ok to see the sport die.

Shame you can't see the big picture

You cannot compare football but you can compare rugby?
Who is this bloke Carter I keep hearing about...some All Black apparently. Which club is he playing for? Richie Gray the Scottish loch..where has he played rugby for the last 5 years?
If I could play a sport and be paid 5 or 10 times the money I could for undertaking that pleasure in another country, what is the issue?
Woffinden is free to do what he likes, as he likes. He is a person who works for himself. It is that simple. He has made a good, sound commercial decision for himself because he is alone responsible and if it goes wrong it's him that carries the can.
If he wants to ride in Sweden and Poland only, good luck to him.
  • Like 1