British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pob

Ipswich Vs Somerset Pl Thurs April 28th

Louis and Hawkins need to wake up and smell the coffee, we ain't that good. As soon as one rider has a below par night we haven't got the cover. I suppose the normal rubbish will be trotted out in the paper over the next few days. Fortress foxhall? Don't think so. Anyway, I didn't think the rebels looked that good before the season started, I was wrong. Allen and dean are only going to get better as the season goes on and I think they will be very potent during the play offs. Definitely title contenders. Well done Gary may for doing it year in year out.

• Like 4

Louis and Hawkins need to wake up and smell the coffee, we ain't that good. As soon as one rider has a below par night we haven't got the cover. I suppose the normal rubbish will be trotted out in the paper over the next few days. Fortress foxhall? Don't think so. Anyway, I didn't think the rebels looked that good before the season started, I was wrong. Allen and dean are only going to get better as the season goes on and I think they will be very potent during the play offs. Definitely title contenders. Well done Gary may for doing it year in year out.

My thoughts exactly , I thought they looked a reasonable team on paper but nothing special and maybe creep into the playoffs . Totally got it wrong.

Know what you mean about BWD but he did fine at Eastbourne.

Crowd is low because it's the final episode of Line of Duty obviously.

BWD is even better than I thought he might be and seems to be adapting to life in the PL very quickly and well. Pleased for the lad. Just a shame there are not more like him in the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Can't understand Louis running against the conclusion of LofD. He must've known it would affect the crowd..... Oh, and its a good one.

When another club closes due to poor attendances and you remember the day you stayed in to watch TV... what's the matter with people these days?

I don't see how two people of East Lothian heritage, not attending a match at a track in Suffolk that one of them is not a supporter of and the other does not go to that regularly these days, can be blamed for a poor attendance, - possibly leading to a club closure. Speedway's ills go a lot deeper than that. Just cast your eyes over some of the threads in the General Discussions section - 'Boring;, etc.

Edited by macca56
  • Like 2

BWD is even better than I thought he might be and seems to be adapting to life in the PL very quickly and well. Pleased for the lad. Just a shame there are not more like him in the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Can't understand Louis running against the conclusion of LofD. He must've known it would affect the crowd..... Oh, and its a good one.

I don't see how two people of East Lothian heritage, not attending a match at a track in Suffolk that one of them is not a supporter of and the other does not go to that regularly these days, can be blamed for a poor attendance, - possibly leading to a club closure. Speedway's ills go a lot deeper than that. Just cast your eyes over some of the threads in the General Discussions section - 'Boring;, etc.

Glad to hear BWD did well again.

First time I saw him ride was a couple weeks back...took my eye straight away, looks a very good rider and very stylish to watch as well.

Looking forward to tomorrow night, hope the witches come out fighting and we get some good racing.

• Like 1

Right - decision made.

Staying at home to watch the Caddy getting his just desserts or maybe he won't.

So Paco will have to do without my support again.

Mind you, watching the rain cloud activity on the radar site I think it might be either a damp one at Ippo or even off.

Sorry macca - some other time.

Thanks buddy. Played right into our hands. Well done to the Rebels; a great team performance. A long way to go but a great start with hopefully more to come.

I would think you might have seen the Premier League champions here tonight. Somerset simply had all round strength and there will be further improvement I thought BMD had a bit of the Darcy Ward's about him

Not very good to see such a poor crowd tonight. The lowest I have ever seen Although it was a cold night this will not help it.

Great first ride by Morten Risager . Probably his best ride ever at Foxhall.Overall not a bad meeting and run very quickly.

• Like 1

Thanks macca you said it all for me.

I'm not a regular speedway attender. Twice so far this season and nothing currently planned.

I want to be reasonably sure the meeting will be on before I drive more than an hour to get to a track. I was far from convinced tonight's would be on.

If I lived close to my team it might be a bit different.

So I'm sorry I didn't give my money to ippo tonight and my support to Paco, but the pull of seeing the Caddy get sorted was too much to resist.

If only speedway could regularly provide the same sort of edge of the seat drama, all tracks would be flourishing.

But Paco did his bit - too many of the ippo team didn't seem to.

• Like 1

The one thing that I thought was rather frightening about tonight's meeting was the attendance. Possibly 500. Now Speedway at Foxhall is not going to carry on at that level. So all those people saying I am not going tonight because it might rain or it's to far to go what will you say when Ipswich Speedway folds . If people do not make the effort to go you will not have to make the choice in the fuxure

One of the main gripes on this forum is "I used to have a local team but is folded "x" numbers of years ago.So if you do not go this will happen here.

Worrying times ahead

• Like 5

I still went despite being full of cold and having what was probably my loneliest night at speedway I have ever had...some of the missing were those who normally sit nearby and who I can chat to from time to time.

• Like 1

Well I thought that was a decent meeting, always a pleasure to go to Ipswich, stadium always nicely presented

Two terrific away wins in a week for the Rebels. Can't see too many teams coming away from either Peterborough or Ipswich with the points, so we'll done Somerset.

Most people made the call that this seasons side was a bit of a risk, with Zach, Bradley and Jake in the team and a heavy reliance on Wrighty, Starkey and Rohan to support Josh, but they have all produced and appear to be a solid team throughout.

In the absence of a Somerset v Ipswich thread, my prediction is the Rebels to score close to 60 tonight.

Just realised no meeting next Thursday. So better be on tonight.

And that has to be a considerable contributory factor to the reported low attendance at Foxhall last night, hastn't it? Having followed the teams fortunes since 1972 and physically followed them around the country from 1975 to 1985 (excepting '81 & '82) - with Ipswich being far from my 'home' club during that period, I cannot recall such a disjointed start to a Foxhall season.

Thursday, 17 March

Thursday, 14 April

Saturday, 23 April

Thursday, 28 April

Thursday, 12 May

Thursday, 26 May

Saturday, 04 June, and then

Thursday, 09 June

shows just how irregularly the home fixtures are arising this year, and with no Good Friday meeting to both swell the coffers and to, maybe, hook or entice a few extras to come along - coupled with a team that some didn't like the look of at the start of the season and which is proving to be inconsistent at best, it is as well that a new and well respected title sponsor is on board. (I notice that in the Speedway Star season preview edition, that Debbie Hancock's top three were Ipswich, Edinburgh & Somerset. Not sure if there was an element of 'reverse psychology' in her predictions, but currently her predicted 3rd place side looks to be in a far better position than her 1 & 2.)

What was it Uncle Len used to say - 'Make it a Date, Friday at Eight' - routine, habit, blind faith, call it what you want, but I used to know that there was a speedway meeting being staged every Thursday at Foxhall - with maybe a one off Saturday against Wimbledon. The people I worked with knew it, I didn't need an organiser to tell me what day I was going to leave work early in the City of London and get on a train, to get home in time to then drive 65 miles up the A12 - every Thursday evening. Yes, I've changed since then too and will no longer blindly travel to a speedway fixture as I used to, as it was the 'be all and end all' to me then, but this season's disjointed home fixture list, presumably mainly due to Louis selecting three riders that also ride for EL teams, has not helped my enthusiasm to attend and, I'm sure, along with the climate, a forecast possibility of rain - and the concluding part of LofD, would have been contributing factors to the reported low attendance last night. And this was one of the meetings I had earmarked to attend, with the return of Romance and BWD's Foxhall début.

I mentioned previously that I am experiencing transport problems at the moment, and The Scotsman very kindly offered me a lift if he was going, and I thought about the bus/es that used to be run to Foxhall from the station and other parts of town. No bus runs now apparently.

I truly hope that the Club's fortunes turn around, both in terms of results and in attendances. I have invested a lot of time, money and emotion in that club over the years. It owes me nothing, but then again, I owe it nothing either.

P.S. - did CL's proposed Interactive Fans' Activity show its face last night?

Edited by macca56
  • Like 1

The one thing that I thought was rather frightening about tonight's meeting was the attendance. Possibly 500. Now Speedway at Foxhall is not going to carry on at that level. So all those people saying I am not going tonight because it might rain or it's to far to go what will you say when Ipswich Speedway folds . If people do not make the effort to go you will not have to make the choice in the fuxure

One of the main gripes on this forum is "I used to have a local team but is folded "x" numbers of years ago.So if you do not go this will happen here.

Worrying times ahead

What an absolute load of tosh. It's this sort of attitude that will be the death of speedway. It encourages promotions to be lazy and stick to the norm without making changes. Seriously, if anyone feels they aren't getting value for money at their track then vote with your wallet, it's the only way a lot of ways to make change happen for the better.

The bitter cold and rain / snow is definatley going to affect attendance at night meetings at the moment.

• Like 2

I agree.

Let's wait till the weather gets a damn sight warmer and drier and more predictable before we start proclaiming this is the end.

• Like 1