British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

Riders Who Never Quite Fulfilled Their Full Potential

But for his Prestatyn grass track crash in 1969, what could Norman Hunter have achieved?

Having viewed 'The Memories of West Ham Speedway' DVD I thoroughly enjoyed listening to 'Storming Norman' reminisce. His delivery was so dry and amusing!

I recall his last years spent at Swindon he had this habit of patting the top of his helmet with his hand as he approached the starting gate! You remember things like that!

Edited by steve roberts

i remember watching Egon Muller at Exeter in 1982 or 83 when he rode 4 races against Ivan Mauger for what was labeled king of the world (by Exeter)

think Mauger won 3 of them

anyway back on topic, 2 riders i watched as a lad who were almost unbeatable (at the County Ground) for a while and then pretty much faded into obscurity were Keith Millard and John Barker

I dont remember much about their riding styles but i know they were my favourite riders at the time, Millard was British under 21 champion in 83 but don't remember him riding much after 84 and Barker I believe had a couple broken legs.

• Like 2

i remember watching Egon Muller at Exeter in 1982 or 83 when he rode 4 races against Ivan Mauger for what was labeled king of the world (by Exeter)

think Mauger won 3 of them

anyway back on topic, 2 riders i watched as a lad who were almost unbeatable (at the County Ground) for a while and then pretty much faded into obscurity were Keith Millard and John Barker

I dont remember much about their riding styles but i know they were my favourite riders at the time, Millard was British under 21 champion in 83 but don't remember him riding much after 84 and Barker I believe had a couple broken legs.

Remember John Barker as a junior at Eastbourne and riding for Oxford in 1979. He was a bit wild but if I recall the Swindon promotion signed him up and loaned him out to another Wally Mawdsley track Exeter. Never saw him ride down there unfortunately.

Remember John Barker as a junior at Eastbourne and riding for Oxford in 1979. He was a bit wild but if I recall the Swindon promotion signed him up and loaned him out to another Wally Mawdsley track Exeter. Never saw him ride down there unfortunately.

Barker was very talented unlucky with injury think he had one of the quickest times ever at Exeter Autrey held the record for along while is Leigh Adams the holder now.?
  • Like 1

Barker was very talented unlucky with injury think he had one of the quickest times ever at Exeter Autrey held the record for along while is Leigh Adams the holder now.?

Thanks Sid, didn't realise that he had held the County Ground track record at one time. He used to be quite scary round Cowley riding close up to the fence so I'm not surprised that he excelled down at Exeter!

Edited by steve roberts

Thanks Sid, didn't realise that he had held the County Ground track record at one time. He used to be quite scary round Cowley riding close up to the fence so I'm not surprised that he excelled down at Exeter!

Think he come through at Eastbourne just after Woods( who i really liked) yes Barker was unlucky i so miss the County Ground what a track scary as hell that was just watching😫 Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

Think he come through at Eastbourne just after Woods( who i really liked) yes Barker was unlucky i so miss the County Ground what a track scary as hell that was just watching

I also liked Paul Woods. A good stylist who, again, should have gone further in the sport. His move to King's Lynn (bit like Gordon Kennett before him) seemed to effect his confidence and he soon dropped back down into the National League with, I think, Rye House?

Eastbourne excelled with regards finding talent. Other than the obvious there were the likes of Steve Naylor and Colin Ackroyd...who was coming on quite nicely at Cowley then ended up at Reading and disappeared from the scene.

I saw a lot of action at Arlington as it was Oxford's and. later, White City's sister track. Good memories of the place!

Scott Autrey held the track record at Exeter into the late 80's, think it was Mark Loram that eventually beat it

That's probably why he was a favourite of mine as a lad, knew there must have been something, shame there is not a lot of footage of Exeter in the early 80s with either him or Keith

• Like 1

Scott Autrey held the track record at Exeter into the late 80's, think it was Mark Loram that eventually beat it

That's probably why he was a favourite of mine as a lad, knew there must have been something, shame there is not a lot of footage of Exeter in the early 80s with either him or Keith

By the way Wiseguy...your profile picture. My uncle took that picture of Ivan Mauger at Oxford in 1975! He was the track photographer in those days.

• Like 1

By the way Wiseguy...your profile picture. My uncle took that picture of Ivan Mauger at Oxford in 1975! He was the track photographer in those days.

I hope he wouldn't mind me using it, great pic of a great man

• Like 1

I hope he wouldn't mind me using it, great pic of a great man

I would agree. I have nothing but admiration for what Ivan achieved. He started with nothing and thru' sheer dedication and hard work achieved the ultimate to become the best ever speedway rider!

I recently re-read his first autobiography 'Triple Crown Plus' and is an amazing rags to riches story.

Barry Thomas - another rider who showed potential but never quite realised it...another great entertainer however!

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

Having viewed 'The Memories of West Ham Speedway' DVD I thoroughly enjoyed listening to 'Storming Norman' reminisce. His delivery was so dry and amusing!

I recall his last years spent at Swindon he had this habit of patting the top of his helmet with his hand as he approached the starting gate! You remember things like that!

I remember that too. He did it all of his career. He was another one who failed to reach his potential. On the verge of world class when he suffered that terrible hand injury at Prestatyn and was never anywhere near the same again.

• Like 1

Mark Courtney never kicked on from his firm of 83 and 84.

Joe Owen if he'd ridden more bl rather than settling for dominating the nl.

Mark Courtney never kicked on from his firm of 83 and 84.

Joe Owen if he'd ridden more bl rather than settling for dominating the nl.

I thought that Mark Courtney had a really classy style but felt that he just wasn't professional enough. Should have gone much further.

Joe Owen, in my opinion and he's questioned same, shouldn't have ridden for Hull (although it was an obvious move due to the promotional tie up) He would have been better plying his trade at a more conventional track.

Torbjorn Harrysson - Never saw him ride but apparently a very spectacular performer whose career ended due to serious injury. There was a story that Oxford were about to sign him once but I felt that was a Dave Lanning publicity stunt personally!

Edited by steve roberts

Courtney is certainly one of the most stylish riders i ever saw ride won a British junior championship.But his career did not kick on after Leicester think when i last heard he was mechanicing a lot in Poland i believe.One that certainly should of done better was Graham Plant on his day he could beat anyone.

• Like 1