British Speedway Forum
Grachan

Should Ex Riders Get Into Speedway Free?

Like pugwash said, it's the promoters business and he can decide. On top of that just create a system where BSPA give's out UK season tickets for people meeting the criteria.

Freeloading is a common problem and not only is money from the gates but negativity among the people that bust their ärses to have meetings on.

It is not just ex riders but present day riders that turn up with friends that walk to the pit gate or through the turnstiles, having a few polite words & gestures with staff that is robbing our sport/promoters of necessary cash.

Another thread, another topic and still the same character puts out claims and cant back them up in anyway.

I see no reason why a paralysed rider shouldnt be charged the same as someone who is paralysed but hadnt ridden, but again it depends on the promotion.

I would imagine Lawrence Hare and Kim Jansson would get into Ipswich free but would be understandable if Darcy Ward or Garry Stead didnt.

Edited by Gavan

Just briefly mentioned above and not pursued. . . .
If you agree a rider can go in, what about his wife/partner ? , , and the family and/or friends he's driven there with ?
Does he go in one gate and his family/friends sent round to another ? Would he tolerate that ? Unlikely if its the wife.
? . . ?

Just briefly mentioned above and not pursued. . . .

If you agree a rider can go in, what about his wife/partner ? , , and the family and/or friends he's driven there with ?

Does he go in one gate and his family/friends sent round to another ? Would he tolerate that ? Unlikely if its the wife.

? . . ?

Depends on who his wife rode for. ;):cheers:

• Like 3

It is not just ex riders but present day riders that turn up with friends that walk to the pit gate or through the turnstiles, having a few polite words & gestures with staff that is robbing our sport/promoters of necessary cash.

That is down to the promoter to either control or allow.

Talking of freeloaders you would be surprised how many wives, children and friends certain promoters bring with them to other clubs.

Another thread, another topic and still the same character puts out claims and cant back them up in anyway.

hey Gavan.... I know who shot Kennedy... But I wont give his name out

Robert72 makes a habit of this as anyone reading the "Should Tai Woffinden be selected for GB" thread would know.

On there one of his claims is that Woffinden would be paid far more than other riders for racing in the British Final for example.. he knows because 'he rode a bike' in the past.

He's also claimed to know the exact pay deals of several top riders, junior riders and others... all un-named of course.

All of it is made up just so he can have a pop at someone, Woffinden on the other thread... Darcy Ward on this one.

Anyway, as to the topic I think the following solution would be great.

All riders get free entry, unless their name is Rob Homer.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 2

I was very disappointed when I attended Belle Vue V Lakeside last Saturday, i'm a big collector of old & modern photos. I sorted some photos out of my collection of Bill Powell, Peter Williams, Ken Eyre & Jim Yacoby & was horrified to be told that they very rarely attend has they have to pay admission! Unbelievable

• Like 1

As i say Mark Loram doesnt pay at Ipswich but then should he also get in free at Poole, Lakeside and Eastbourne for example.

Fine line as you say about where to draw the line on who should pay and at what tracks.

Norman Strachan Pete smith Odd forsengen do, and so they should.

I was very disappointed when I attended Belle Vue V Lakeside last Saturday, i'm a big collector of old & modern photos. I sorted some photos out of my collection of Bill Powell, Peter Williams, Ken Eyre & Jim Yacoby & was horrified to be told that they very rarely attend has they have to pay admission! Unbelievable

Sadly thats why hardly any ex riders bother going to speedway matches, it can be a hero to zero in speedway so quickly.

• Like 1

Do they rarely attend because they can't afford it, like many, or because they feel slightly unwanted?

It must be hard for any rider, especially from back in the day...when they were 'heros' to many, yet when they retire are 'desired' as much any longer.

I also know from other sports, that new club owners and promotors, often don't like old sportsman coming back, as they would talk of the old days and how things were done differently.

• Like 1

Do they rarely attend because they can't afford it, like many, or because they feel slightly unwanted?

It must be hard for any rider, especially from back in the day...when they were 'heros' to many, yet when they retire are 'desired' as much any longer.

I also know from other sports, that new club owners and promotors, often don't like old sportsman coming back, as they would talk of the old days and how things were done differently.

Take all your points, but do you think David Beckham would have to pay to go back to Old Trafford ?

• Like 1

Take all your points, but do you think David Beckham would have to pay to go back to Old Trafford ?

Nah he just probably purchases a stand mate

• Like 2