British Speedway Forum
Grachan

Should Ex Riders Get Into Speedway Free?

I noticed a conversation elsewhere (*cough* sp**dway fri*nds *cough*) where an ex r ider is complaining that ex riders need to pay to get into Belle Vue.

The general consensus there seems to be that riders should get in free, although personally I don't see why they neccesarily should.

Martin Ashby is always on the terraces at Swindon. I wonder if he pays to get in? No idea.

So, what do people think? Should ex-speedway riders pay to go and watch meetings?

Not necessarily, especially in recent mercenary times.

Perhaps a length of service to one club type measure; say 5 years maybe?

Having said that, speedway has always been awash with freeloaders that have never ridden or worked for the clubs.

Edited by frigbo
  • Like 8

If I become a speedway rider tomorrow, and then retire on Saturday... Can I get in free every week then too?

• Like 4

Yes

Not sure if belonging to the SRA is/was compulsory but by showing a card I see no problem as proof of being a rider at some time. Same as other forms of employment. I have an Oxford University Retirement Employee's card which allows me access to colleges an/or Oxford University establishments.

Or if a rider has signed up to the Veteran's club etc.

Edited by steve roberts

absolutely not

• Like 2

At Glasgow former riders pay. Jim Beaton is there every week and pays. Personally I think if you have ridden for a club for a set number of years, as frigbo suggests five years, you should be allowed in free. Maybe a card allowing a discount would be possible. I believe this point is on the agenda with the B.S.P.A.

Mark Loram goes to Ipswich and doesnt have to pay

• Like 1

If it's to be understood correctly, this has happened at Belle Vue?

I know it also happens at certain football grounds.

It's a catch 22...where do you draw the line?

I understand there is a 'Belle Vue Legends' wall at the new stadium?

I'd feel uncomfortable if I was the owner of the Club, promoting it, using images and names of former riders, to enhance their own business today, yet not willing to wave £20 to those riders he's using for his own business interests.

Would a certain rider turn round and say...'No longer use my name or images, in programmes or further Belle Vue promotions, to gain financial reward for your own business now.'?

Could we ever see a case of image rights being used by Speedway riders? Or has that already happened?

Good will sometimes benefits a club or promotion now...

If fans felt strongly enough that say for example 'PC' had to pay to get in, then talk with your feet...they'd soon take notice.

• Like 2

If I become a speedway rider tomorrow, and then retire on Saturday... Can I get in free every week then too?

As long as you are the team tomorrow night!!

what does it matter? it's up to the promoter who he let's in free.

You can't just let every rider who's thrown his leg over a bike come in every week for free. Places like Coventry and Belle Vue who have a long history would just be packed with ex-riders.

I wouldn't expect riders who have legendary status to be paying, and I'm sure if Ole Olsen was in the country he'd be invited to Coventry for free. The same goes for Tony Rickardsson at Poole.

I wouldn't expect the likes of Peter Collins, Alan Wilkinson, Jason Crump, Jason Lyons to pay at Belle Vue, nor Terry Betts at King's Lynn, Martin Ashby at Swindon, Sam Ermolenko or Ronnie Corrie at Wolves etc etc.

But I wouldn't let every Tom, Dick and Harry walk in without paying every week, as some feel they have the right to.

A lot of ex-riders who want to attend every week give their services anyway as managers, machine examiners, clerks of the course, or working in hospitality.

Football clubs often use ex-players to look after VIPs in hospitality. Garry Stead takes on this kind of role at Belle Vue and is very good at it.

So I say let in club legends, and find a role for riders who want to give something back to the sport, but no automatic right to any lesser ex-rider who wants to come along every week and just get sozzled at the bar.

• Like 9

No. It's should be a general no but then there can be individual exceptions for riders who did a lot for the clubs, are club legends or maybe had a nasty life changing injury. But the expectation from every rider should be to have to pay.

Otherwise as said I'm becoming a speedway rider today, I'll retire tomorrow and turn up to meetings 6 days a week for free!

As i say Mark Loram doesnt pay at Ipswich but then should he also get in free at Poole, Lakeside and Eastbourne for example.

Fine line as you say about where to draw the line on who should pay and at what tracks.

Legendary riders who have a particular connection with a club YES, as others have said. If a journeyman rider, NO, but current riders are allowed in if showing their riders licence. It only admits one, despite protestations, and does NOT give riders automatic rights to visit and stay in the pits. They are crowded anyway, but in the case of a serious negligent incident in the pits, and that rider was hurt, the first question in court would be 'why was a non official/rider allowed in the pits during a meeting". Same rule goes for wives, etc.

When we opened up in 1997, one ex KL rider was adamant that he had a right to attend any speedway meeting without paying. Strewth. He always paid after that.

Berwick have recently issued a list of every rider who had ridden for the Bandits, to contact them and to invite the riders to attend their meetings free of charge I believe. It may be a large number, but not a lot of riders still live in the area anyway, but i think it is a nice gesture from a very friendly and trying hard promotion.

• Like 2