British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

Fundin Olsen Nielsen Would They Have All Won More World Title's If There Had Been A Gp Series Around.?

Sorry mate,you didn't make it clear enough what you meant.Guess with your modus operandi(Latin,plural:modi operandi) anyone could get confused

I don't think anybody has mentioned Ronnie Moore yet. I only saw Ronnie at the back end of his career when he was past his best but still an absolutely sensational rider. He has been described as the most naturally talented rider ever to sit on a Speedwáy bike and qualifying for his first World Final at the age of 17 bears that out.

I have heard of fantastic rides at Wimbledon and he seems to have been a model of consistency which would stand him in good stead in a GP system where not just wins but 2nd and 3rd places are important.

Of course he missed the 1957 season when he tried car racing, and had that broken leg in '63 which brought about an early retirement before his comeback 6 years later, but potentially he could have been a multi-GP winner by reason of his consistency, and his attitude of taking every race as it comes whether it be a World Final or second half.

Who knows ? I admit to bias because the two great riders that stand out in my memory are Ronnie and Briggo

Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 1

Think Olsen could of won titles in 72 and 77 Collins was unlucky in 77 was Collins best year 76?

Think 83 over a series would of been well open Carter,Lee,Sigalos,Nielsen,Gundersen,Sanders all riding well 84 onwards Hans certainly.

Not a chance would Olsen have won in '77 - a GP Series then would've been won easily by PC who was streets ahead the best rider in the world in '77.

I'd also say PC would've had a very chance in '74 (Mich's year) and certainly '75 & '78 - so I'd say Ole would've won LESS World titles...

PC World Champ '74 to '78 inclusive would have had a nice ring about it!!

Agree pc would have won in 77 but think it is far from clear cut. I believe Olsen dominated open meetings early in the season, and of course won the bloc. And of course pc may have ridden the last few gps hampered by injury.

I reckon both pc and Olsen likely to have ended on 2 gps apiece, but if either were to have won more it would have been Olsen without a doubt IMHO.