British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Speedway Bid At Arsenal 1929

Yes,that is why i tried to put up some photos from that period.Doesn't show the pitch from a birds-eye view,which would be better,but does show how far the crowd is from the pitch and how low they stand at the front

Edited by iris123

You're right - the pitch at Highbury was the SMALLEST in the whole football league!

Mind you this apparent extract is from 1929 and I don't think either the West or East Stands (in their Art Deco glory) were built by this point - so the situation at the ground (a ground I knew and loved so well later..) wasn't as any of us (except perhaps for John!!) would be able to remember...

Was up at Highbury a few weeks ago, listed west and east stands now apartments, the pitch is a garden, play area. Did stadium tour of emirates with Charlie George, great character, plenty of highbury stories from the 70s

Here's an intriguing new brief item from 1929. I know no more than this - but I am certain we have a BSF member/members who may be able to provide more details. Just to emphasise - the project never materialised.

'Daily Mirror' April 1929

ANOTHER SPEEDWAY FOR LONDON

Rumours of yet another speedway for London, it is to be laid on the Arsenal Football ground at Highbury, an excellent position of course, but can London stand it?

Is this a genuine extract from the Daily Mirror?

In what context was this written? A letter to the Sports pages or in another article?

I found the item regarding speedway at Arsenal in 1929 when I was browsing another forum. It isn't very specific but in case you are interested Parsloes 1928 nearly here's the Link:

http://londonspeedways.proboards.com/thread/1096

Edited by Guest

Was up at Highbury a few weeks ago, listed west and east stands now apartments, the pitch is a garden, play area. Did stadium tour of emirates with Charlie George, great character, plenty of highbury stories from the 70s

Yes I've done the tour with Charlie (my all time hero!) and it's fantastic!!

• Like 1

Yes I've done the tour with Charlie (my all time hero!) and it's fantastic!!

Great to hear his tales of travelling to ighbry on the bus, the brandy, whisky, and fags in the dressing room in the 71 double year! Had good chat with him, and bought 71 final shirt in shop. Fantastic day. He has taken over 60000 on tour. No chance of watching a game at the emirates with 60000 capacity and 120000 members! Super stadium.

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 1

Here's an intriguing new brief item from 1929. I know no more than this - but I am certain we have a BSF member/members who may be able to provide more details. Just to emphasise - the project never materialised.

'Daily Mirror' April 1929

ANOTHER SPEEDWAY FOR LONDON

Rumours of yet another speedway for London, it is to be laid on the Arsenal Football ground at Highbury, an excellent position of course, but can London stand it?

Those were the days.

Great to hear his tales of travelling to ighbry on the bus, the brandy, whisky, and fags in the dressing room in the 71 double year! Had good chat with him, and bought 71 final shirt in shop. Fantastic day. He has taken over 60000 on tour. No chance of watching a game at the emirates with 60000 capacity and 120000 members! Super stadium.

I've got a season ticket - feel free to drop me a line if you ever fancied being on my goto list if i cant get to a game.

Tom

• Like 1

I've got a season ticket - feel free to drop me a line if you ever fancied being on my goto list if i cant get to a game.

Tom

Tom

Cheers Tom