British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bigcatdiary

Somerset V Peterborough Koc Qf - 28th June

Just a thought from a veteran speedway supporter who started watching the sport way back in 1965, pre silencers, laydown engines, wheel spoilers,shale deflectors and bike covers. I was thinking about changes I might have tried as a rider at last nights match to go some way to alleviate the wind problem at the Oaktree arena. I would straight away have removed my wheel spoiler and tried the bike without it, as going into the second bend and back straight it was acting as a sail and would have, in affect, blown the bike to the outside of the track which Cookie suffered in his heat 5 tumble, this action would allow the air to travel through the spokes. Also, if that hadn't worked sufficiently, I would have removed my bike cover, probably to the annoyance of my sponsors, to allow the air to pass through the frame and see how the bike performed then. Let's face it, with the demise of the upright Jawa and Weslake there is a great big void above the laydown GM for the wind to pass through !!! Just some ideas !!! Don't jump down my throat if you think I'm mad !!!

i think you have to have them , not too sure tho . front wheel spoilers were knocked on the head due to the front wheel being blown away in windy conditions .

What a crap week with England and now Panthers getting embarrassed..also makes Sunday a nothing meeting..it could have been a great day of sport had both the previous not happened..and this will impact the attendance massively. How could a spanking like that happen!?..maybe a wake up call..and maybe we are not as good as we thought?..the KO cup has always been a disaster for us.

Edited by Lukas
  • Like 1

i think you have to have them , not too sure tho . front wheel spoilers were knocked on the head due to the front wheel being blown away in windy conditions .

Think the front wheel spoilers were banned because of flying shale from the rider in front taking the front wheel out, seem to remember this happening to Tommy Knudsen at a GP in Wroclaw

I know when the rear wheel spoilers started to appear they must have been optional then because only a few of the lads had them. I remember Malcolm Simmons was one of the first to have one back in 77. Surely if it could be proved that they were a hazzard in windy conditions there could be a re think on them ! I know they came in to assist the rider keeping the tail in and not over drifting. Interesting point though, would like to know what a rider would think about it ! There must be some on here !!!

Edited by Aroundtheboards

I would straight away have removed my wheel spoiler and tried the bike without it,

Just a quick point of information on that one. During the discussion in the break at Heat 5, I believe Garry May asked the referee to let the riders take them off, but was denied the request, as they are a safety measure. (Hands, fingers, feet and spokes etc.)