British Speedway Forum

I didn't go this year, as the incessant mindless noise of airhorns and vuvuzelas just does my head in.

Is there anyway of avoiding it?

Ah come on that's all part of the fun! Buy ear plugs!

I didn't go this year, as the incessant mindless noise of airhorns and vuvuzelas just does my head in.

Is there anyway of avoiding it?

there are air horn free sections and use ear plugs. I do find the music too loud though.

Edited by eric i

I don't mind atmosphere created by fans cheering and supporting their rider...and I like to hear the bikes engines. I don't mind music either.

Airhorns and vuvuzelas...are just 'noise'. It doesn't make a great atmosphere...it just makes an incessant noise that means nothing.

It's like when the presenter says 'make some noise' for so and so...what does that actually mean? It's just plain braindead imo.

I just don't see the fun in making noise for the sake of it.

Atmosphere is created by excitement and anticipation.

Imo...airhorns are encouraged as it gives a false sense of excitement to the viewers on tv. 'Listen to all that noise and excitement'...when actually its a few thousand Poles, munching on a sausage, pissed outta their heads, pressing their finger down on an airhorn ;-)

Empty vessels and all that.

Tongue firmly in cheek :-)

• Like 1

Air horns are a bit like canned laughter.The stadium could just play the noise over the loudspeakers to save all those people the bother and also help the environment

• Like 1

Air horns are banned at the Principality as mentioned on the back of the tickets.

There may have been the odd few that managed to sneak some in but the majority used were blow horns.

One very noticeable difference as I hadn't been in three years was how much quieter the bikes were

• Like 1

I wonder with some reasonable estimates of the crowd being 32,000,at what level will it not be viable to hold the GP in Cardiff?If the crowd level falls much below 30,000.What we have at the moment is one of the best British riders ever out there and the crowds are still falling.bviously a reflection of the general support for speedway falling.But take that and then the chance in a few years that Tai isn't up there and we have no-one to take his place the crowd could fall quite alarmingl.Just like Phil said the interest in Sweden dropped off once TRick retired and my prediction is this could well happen in Denmark over the next couple of years as Nicki goes out of the GPs and possibly speedway altogether

Edited by iris123

Thought the acoustics were bad, couldn't make out the interviews and result announcements were bad too.

Edited by tyretrax
  • Like 2

Air horns are banned at the Principality as mentioned on the back of the tickets.

There may have been the odd few that managed to sneak some in but the majority used were blow horns.

One very noticeable difference as I hadn't been in three years was how much quieter the bikes were

No they're not banned. Flammable air-horns are banned. Non-flammable ones are allowed.

So the attendance was 40,234. So a bit more than the 32 and 35k some people suggested, I'll claim my 42k guess was pretty accurate.

Maybe one reason why the attendance fell this year is because some people may not be able to relate to Tai Woffinden.

Hes the only GB rider in the GP's so he should be loved by everyone.

But

1) he does not ride in the British speedway league

2) he does not ride in the British Championship

3) probably worst of all - he does not ride for GB

4) some dont like the tatoos he has - of all the top GB atheletes/sportsperson he is the one with the most that are visible.

5) some do not like the swearing he comes out with in normal conversation..

Of course, some on this forum dont mind any of the above, but equally there are some that do object to some if not all of the above.

The crowd seems to be less then before, and some who were there say that not as much cheering for Tai.

No they're not banned. Flammable air-horns are banned. Non-flammable ones are allowed.

So the attendance was 40,234. So a bit more than the 32 and 35k some people suggested, I'll claim my 42k guess was pretty accurate.

Maybe one reason why the attendance fell this year is because some people may not be able to relate to Tai Woffinden.

Hes the only GB rider in the GP's so he should be loved by everyone.

But

1) he does not ride in the British speedway league

2) he does not ride in the British Championship

3) probably worst of all - he does not ride for GB

4) some dont like the tatoos he has - of all the top GB atheletes/sportsperson he is the one with the most that are visible.

5) some do not like the swearing he comes out with in normal conversation..

Of course, some on this forum dont mind any of the above, but equally there are some that do object to some if not all of the above.

The crowd seems to be less then before, and some who were there say that not as much cheering for Tai.

You make some good points, but as SCB said, the crowd level didnt fall.

Cardiff has always been a great crowd and well supported, through many baron years of Brit Riders scrapping merely to stay in the competition.

It's Been somewhere between 40-45k since 2001. My guess is in 2018 it'll be about the same...

Edited by RPNYC
  • Like 2

Just a thought on Jason Doyle's frustration in the pits tunnel following his fall. Bearing in mind that he had just limped about two hundred yards across the stadium following his crash, his pit crew THEN offered him his crutches for the last few yards to his pit box. At the same time the guy took his crash helmet from him and dropped it on the floor! Maybe, just maybe, he thought that his crew might have run his crutches out to him a little bit earlier and saved him at least some of the pain of walking. I think I might have been a touch frustrated by then!

• Like 2

You make some good points, but as SCB said, the crowd level didnt fall.

Cardiff has always been a great crowd and well supported, through many baron years of Brit Riders scrapping merely to stay in the competition.

It's Been somewhere between 40-45k since 2001. My guess is in 2018 it'll be about the same...

Did SCB say the attendance didnt fall??? he said the attendance was 40,234, but didnt mention what it was last year, and I heard figures of 45,000 last year - that would be a drop of 10%

For 3 years (2013-14-15) we have sat in the top tier on turn 3 (£19 as senoirs - there is a lift up but not used :lol: ) but this year that area looked empty,whereas it has been well populated in the years 13-15.

Others have said the start straight was sparsely populated this year, and it looked it - that was different to 13-15. I do think it was less this year but we all know figures can be fudged - Jeremy Corbyn is perhaps most recent acording to this mornings papers.

Been waiting that figure to come so now gonna ask who you quoting?

I bet the actual number of scanned tickets (people inside) was known at any given minute after 5 PM on saturday.

• Like 1

Did SCB say the attendance didnt fall??? he said the attendance was 40,234, but didnt mention what it was last year, and I heard figures of 45,000 last year - that would be a drop of 10%

For 3 years (2013-14-15) we have sat in the top tier on turn 3 (£19 as senoirs - there is a lift up but not used :lol: ) but this year that area looked empty,whereas it has been well populated in the years 13-15.

Others have said the start straight was sparsely populated this year, and it looked it - that was different to 13-15. I do think it was less this year but we all know figures can be fudged - Jeremy Corbyn is perhaps most recent acording to this mornings papers.

700 less than last year apparently.