British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Steve Shovlar

British Gp & Swc At Cardiff Tie In.

With the SWC following Cardiff by a short period of time, wouldn't it be great if the SWC final was held at Cardiff the day after the GP?

What A Weekend!

The track would be in place, the fans would already be in town and could be treated to two fantastic meetings in the space of 24 hours.

BSI would save a fortune in stadium hire, and the attendance for the SWC would be three times the size of Belle Vue. Plus It has a roof so no rain off.

The race off could take place a week earlier at another track, therefore not giving any advantage to the team making the final.

With the SWC rotating between GB, Poland, Sweden and Denmark this could only happen every four years but surely it could work and be a massive success.

Thoughts?

The Cardiff hoteliers will love you for this idea. Cardiff is not a cheap weekend as it is ,that's if you physically can get a hotel. Just isn't the hotel beds available for 40,000 people to stop over which they would have to do under these circumstances. Personally I,m happy its at Manchester,better transport links,more affordable hotels and a better track. Win Win Win

The Cardiff hoteliers will love you for this idea. Cardiff is not a cheap weekend as it is ,that's if you physically can get a hotel. Just isn't the hotel beds available for 40,000 people to stop over which they would have to do under these circumstances. Personally I,m happy its at Manchester,better transport links,more affordable hotels and a better track. Win Win Win

Manchester is Too bloody far.

Manchester is Too bloody far.

And wet :wink:

There might not be enough hotel rooms but camping is fun and cheap enough.

How about a big speedway fans campsite just outside Cardiff with beer tent?

I'd wait and see what type of meetings the Race off and Final serve up at Belle Vue first.

have a feeling we could be in for 2 spectacular meetings that I don't think Cardiff could provide.

it is however an interesting idea but would be losing the world cup week which I'm generally a fan of.

could switch it around and have the SWC final first then the SGP the next day

I would put the importance on the individual world championship and have that the first meeting. Having the team champ. first may lead to a top rider getting injured and not be able to make the ndividual championship.

Depends what the priority is.

It would dilute the spectacle of the Grand Prix and could possibly lead to lower attendances at both events IMO.

As it stands the events being separate and standalone allows the chance to promote them as bespoke events, if done together it would take a bit of the shine away from them.

The caveat being if it did work, it leaves fans wanting for far more in the years the WC isn't the follow up event thus possibly thinking they might leave it till the WC is back

It also reduces content, means less eyes, sponsors and media coverage for speedway etc and so on.

Edited by The Mockingjay

It would be a very expensive weekend for the public. Good idea in some aspects but maybe the public would like two meetings with a gap.

• Like 2

Can't see any of these ideas being accepted by everyone but i for one would love a second days racing after making the effort to get to Cardiff for the Gps.....We've attended every British Gp since it started in '01. Despite having to get holidays and travel 6hrs by roads and 3 hrs by ferry from Ireland I think a meeting before the Gp on the friday would get the track into racing order and up to speed!! (excuse the pun). How many years has the racing been improving heat by heat in the gp for it to be over just as it was getting awesome? imagine if they held the British Final on the friday as the track would obviously be neutral for the british boys and they'd all be there to gain from the Cardiff/ Big crowd experience.

The track then on the saturday would be ready from the 'off' and hopefully provide great racing from the start of Gp and not at the end!! ( so long as it gets no major tinkering!!) ...as these two meetings are run by BSPA and BSI/IMG I can't see this being a runner but stranger things have happened in the years Ive been watching this GREAT sport.

Just another comment......I am always amazed by how many people in the cafes/ shops etc and people on the streets are UNAWARE that Speedway is on that weekend....How hard could it be for the organisers to give each cafe/pub/restaurant a pair of cheap tickets for the gp (up in the Gods!!) to use as they wish..if the business owner choices to either give to a customer or member of staff surely working on the law of averages somebody MIGHT attend (cause its a freebie) and this in turn would fill the stadium a bit more and might even return the year after.

Edited by emerald tyke

Good idea to have a 2nd meeting on Sunday. It happened in Warsaw but unsure of the attendance.

Maybe Sweden and Danes combined verses Rest Of The World

Good idea to have a 2nd meeting on Sunday. It happened in Warsaw but unsure of the attendance.

Maybe Sweden and Danes combined verses Rest Of The World

The sttendace on the second day at Warsaw was excellent.

• Like 1

As this year the Poles ran fixtures on the Sunday after Cardiff. They would do the same again and the riders would rather be there earning €€€€€'s rather the pennies the BSPA would put out.

The Sunday meeting in Warsaw a PZM meeting and not BSI remember