British Speedway Forum

tbf to Starman, I kind of agree with him here. Surely for this season at least, the Bees racing at Leicester is better than not racing at all?

And longer terms, for speedway to survive in the UK, track/stadium sharing may be the way to go. I can totally understand the emotional reluctance of fans to do so, especially to traditional rivals, but for a sport with major financial issues, the way to survive may be the pragmatism of the reduced costs by sharing a track/stadium.

Yes, I'm sure crowds would be significantly lower than at Brandon. But surely it is better than no speedway at all, those who are interested can go and those who don't want to can stay away.

Surely having another promoter sub-letting off DH (or whoever ends up promoting at Leicester), may also provide the driver for the neccessary track alterations to be made at Beaumont Park, which would surely make it somewhat of a win win?

• Like 2

tbf to Starman, I kind of agree with him here. Surely for this season at least, the Bees racing at Leicester is better than not racing at all?

Surely it makes more sense for Leicester to race at Leicester. Coventry fans are not going to want to travel to Leicester to watch racing on what is generally accepted to be a poor track, while Leicester fans are not going to support a team called Coventry. If Horton was going to toddle off to Leicester he should have done before announcing Lynch as Coventry manager and signing Kerr and the two Bjerres who would have been new (or old in Lasses case) Lions without a Coventry connection. Would have been far easier to get the Leicester fans to accept it as a Leicester team then. Now, even if Horton goes to Leicester and calls them Leicester they'll know it's just Coventry.

Rubbish idea that will fail. If Coventry fans want to go to Leicester they can go and watch Leicester (but I'd suggest more would be found at Perry Barr, Monmore Green and Blunsdon than Leicester!)

Surely it makes more sense for Leicester to race at Leicester. Coventry fans are not going to want to travel to Leicester to watch racing on what is generally accepted to be a poor track,

Yours wasn't much better, allegedly...

Surely it makes more sense for Leicester to race at Leicester. Coventry fans are not going to want to travel to Leicester to watch racing on what is generally accepted to be a poor track, while Leicester fans are not going to support a team called Coventry. If Horton was going to toddle off to Leicester he should have done before announcing Lynch as Coventry manager and signing Kerr and the two Bjerres who would have been new (or old in Lasses case) Lions without a Coventry connection. Would have been far easier to get the Leicester fans to accept it as a Leicester team then. Now, even if Horton goes to Leicester and calls them Leicester they'll know it's just Coventry.

Rubbish idea that will fail. If Coventry fans want to go to Leicester they can go and watch Leicester (but I'd suggest more would be found at Perry Barr, Monmore Green and Blunsdon than Leicester!)

tbf, i did suggest that it might be the neccesary incentive to get the Leicester track sorted. or perhaps they could tack share at Perry Barr or Monmore?

Obviously its not an ideal situation - and I understand Coventry fans being angry/gutted, and having no interest in watching at BP.

and fully agree on your comments re: Horton. i think there is a lot he should have done differently.

All I'm saying is that if I had the choice between watching my club race on a poor track an extra 40 minutes away, i'd rather that than have no speedway. totally understand that others feel differently

• Like 1

You're a total pillock pal. Been supporting the Bees home and away for 30 years, unlike you who gets in free at Poole for peddling a crap magazine and never leaves Dorset.

Why do you think Coventry fans should go and watch their team ride at Leicester (whom they detest) just because you think it's a good idea?

I know fans that have been going to Brandon far longer than me who feel the same and won't travel. Once you lose your home, you cease to exist. It's just a fact. Doesn't make me a bad fan for stating it.

But it makes you a very poor fan for wanting your club to shut down without having the chance of a tempary home for a while.. Shame on you.

Who in their right mind would want to read that amount of utter bilge.(starman's 15k posts)

Well looks like they have a choice, take a tempary home for a season or shut down. Which would you choose ?

I would agree that some speedway is better than none.

Isle of Wight had the situation where they closed for a year (or was it two) and have again reopened but it seems like the Bees fans would rather follow this option than watch their team a few more miles up the road.

Although I do agree about the Leicester track but surely they can do something.

Belle Vue need a promotion and Coventry need a track. What's the odds of a year merge with two of the biggest ever clubs in British speedway doing that. Belle Vue Bees sound better than the Coventry Aces.

I am sad for speedway right now.

I would agree that some speedway is better than none.

Isle of Wight had the situation where they closed for a year (or was it two) and have again reopened but it seems like the Bees fans would rather follow this option than watch their team a few more miles up the road.

Although I do agree about the Leicester track but surely they can do something.

Belle Vue need a promotion and Coventry need a track. What's the odds of a year merge with two of the biggest ever clubs in British speedway doing that. Belle Vue Bees sound better than the Coventry Aces.

I am sad for speedway right now.

I understand where they are coming from mate, but a tempary home for a season is better than no speedway. End of the day Brandon will be flattened anyway, so give themselves a chance to find new premises. That said, BV Coventry would definately not work.

And longer terms, for speedway to survive in the UK, track/stadium sharing may be the way to go. I can totally understand the emotional reluctance of fans to do so, especially to traditional rivals, but for a sport with major financial issues, the way to survive may be the pragmatism of the reduced costs by sharing a track/stadium.

Yes, I'm sure crowds would be significantly lower than at Brandon. But surely it is better than no speedway at all, those who are interested can go and those who don't want to can stay away.

Surely having another promoter sub-letting off DH (or whoever ends up promoting at Leicester), may also provide the driver for the neccessary track alterations to be made at Beaumont Park, which would surely make it somewhat of a win win?

Nice post and i agree. Lets see you get some flack. But that will not happen, you don't come from Poole... ;)

Edited by Starman2006

or perhaps they could tack share at Perry Barr or Monmore?

Wolves already have lodgers with Cradley, we don't need or want another one!

Perry Barr are going to fortnight racing next season and again I hope their isn't a track share or they would be keen after the fractious relationship they had sharing last time.

The only sense if it comes to that would be with Leicester.

However hopefully it won't come to that so that the Bees can remain where they are.

You're a total pillock pal. Been supporting the Bees home and away for 30 years, unlike you who gets in free at Poole for peddling a crap magazine and never leaves Dorset.

Why do you think Coventry fans should go and watch their team ride at Leicester (whom they detest) just because you think it's a good idea?

I know fans that have been going to Brandon far longer than me who feel the same and won't travel. Once you lose your home, you cease to exist. It's just a fact. Doesn't make me a bad fan for stating it.

How dare you be so rude. SS is a great mag ;-)

It's amazing people think that Cov could run at Leics ...the crowds would 400 -500 at best ...whoever tries it will be bust by about july ...yet another idea with no thought about the money side of the sport .

• Like 3

It's amazing people think that Cov could run at Leics ...the crowds would 400 -500 at best ...whoever tries it will be bust by about july ...yet another idea with no thought about the money side of the sport .

4-500 fans? I think you're way off even if he did happen.

Regardless it probably doesn't change the point that, I don't think there would be enough fans to financially keep them in thr Premiership. Perhaps CL or NL.

As a Cradley fan, when the land was sold on our old (and I use the term loosely compared to Brandon) stadium, we had reasonable banked terracing, a few bars & an under cover section. Your only hope is Rugby Council, they are who you need to protest to.

Yours wasn't much better, allegedly...

feck off with your trolling. Not the time or the place.

Edited by SCB

Borrowing tracks has never and will never work.

The fact that certain personnel are still highly active, associated and influential within Speedway highlights the desperation and limited options. Hope all 3 concerned PL Teams make it to the tapes.

Actually was just double checking the pictures and there doesn't look that much wrong.

I obviously don't know the minimum criteria of what is needed to run a stadium but I have seen worse looking pics back when speedway first started.

A round track. Check

Shale. Check

Seating. You don't need any.

VIP area indoors and restaurants. You don't need this either.

Referees box. A few wires ripped out wouldn't be that expensive or take long to do.

Making sure there are no hazards for spectators. Seal off parts of the stadium if checks were not completed in time.

Food and toilets. Presumably portaloos and the burger trailer will still be there from last year.

That leaves the problem of the expense of floodlights and an air fence which will be reasonably costly and can be done in 4 months but I still think it's not in that bad of shape.

Anything else?