British Speedway Forum

sports journalists believe that because their collegues major on football they should too in order to get their names in the paper as the reporter at a prestige game. the tv companies seeing all this, what was originally club generated publicity have decided they must jump on the football bandwagon and offered mega money to get the matches away from the terrestrial tv companies I,e BBC and ITV. The excessive money on offer from the new tv in itself filtered through to the clubs and allowed them to get sports journalists in their pockets ensuring more publicity for their club in national and regional print media . Newspapers have a limited number of pages, so the sports other than football have been squeezed out of the pages because the journos have got used to the freebies and inducements that the football clubs are able to offer ans concentrate on the one that enhances their pockets.

editors see all the copy coming in about football and think must get all these stories in the paper, therefore rugby, people racing, sailing, hockey, and all forms of motor sport get squeezed from the pages. One regional sports editor admitted that when speedway closed in his area, where there are no football clubs in the national league system his papers sales fell by 25%

speedway needs what used to be called a fleet street journalist to adopt the sport, write good copy and get it into the national press on a regular basis, concentrating on the skill of the sportsmen involved before speedway can be taken seriously by the other media people who like most people are like sheep and will start to follow because they adopt the there could be a few bob to be made here mindset.

talking of lights and doing things differently, anybody visit the Moto Parc in Cornwall with the cliffs around the track colour floodlit, the spinning wheel that rotated around the cliff walls as well and one of the best race tracks in the country at that time.

Air traffic control had to be informed when using the SKYTRACKER because projected straight up it went 14 miles.

Think it was the first track to feature weekly fireworks as well.

Doesn't Peter Oakes do that ... or try to at any rate.

One good question. The Bees where promised a new stadium before Brandon closed. So what happen to that little venture.

We keep hearing from both councils that there is now land available to build a new stadium, I am sure that out there in both Coventry and Rugby, there must be numerous brown field sites lying vacant derilect and un-used for year, so why can't they use one of these. Not in the right place I presume, there has got to be load of sites like these well away from housing, that could be used.

Come on Bees fans bombard the councils with e-mails asking them what the hell is going on out there. Ask them if they have evn looked into the fact there is land out there standing idle instead of sitting in a nice warm office, if they race at Brandon this year, then what happens next year, a new stadium is the only answer. The best way forward is one owned by the Bees fans. Anybody got a big back garden going to waste.

Edited by weatherwatcher

Sorry to go slightly off topic, but are Coventry racing next season ?

Well, exactly.

Looking at the last 2 pages, it looks like boredom and melancholy has set in. Won't be long before rigor mortis follows.

• Like 1

If they ever play that god awful Tune that's often played at lower league football grounds when someone scores ,

Then that's me and speedway finished !!!

Which is ????

your not looking In the right place they are their with dates as well but they have got tbc by the side of them

your not looking In the right place they are their with dates as well but they have got tbc by the side of them

My post said POOLE SITE , I am well aware that the fixture list has lots of TBC, but they are not on the Poole Internet site fixture list. Edited by hrhbig

If they ever play that god awful Tune that's often played at lower league football grounds when someone scores ,

Then that's me and speedway finished !!!

Which is ????

Possibly this one....and if it is I would stop going as well :)

Any one remember Johnnies Marching Girls at Belle Vue in the 50's and 60's? Johnnie was Johnnie Hoskins. That was a feature at BV for many years. Livened up the meetings, needs something of the modern equivalent to liven meetings up.

Make the delay between races shorther (tapes break - straight round again etc), re instate the 2nd half racing. Give the fans more value for money.

My post said POOLE SITE , I am well aware that the fixture list has lots of TBC, but they are not on the Poole Internet site fixture list.

there on main page as mdmc 82 pointed out and there is know need to shout thank you

Any News from Horton or the Bspa today ?

Don't think so..

Thinks it's later today / tonight

Tomorrow friday or Saturday The whole thing is a disgrace, how to treat your fans. NOT. :nono:

Possibly this one....and if it is I would stop going as well :)

Yes that's one of them ,

The other is ' Tom Horn ' I think ?

Equally annoying :)

• Like 1

Don't think so..

It's a total lack of respect of the loyal fans.

Hearing the bees move to BP is down to DH agreeing and not down to the Leicester promotion who don't want Coventry there.