British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
NeilWatson

National League 4-team Tournament, Coventry, Sunday 14th Aug, 2.30pm

Bit embarrassing for coventry scoring just 2 points on their home circuit.

Well done to rye house. Could see them adding the pairs and NL riders to their trophy cabinet this season too.

• Like 3

Why was the loudspeaker system at Coventry today so poor?

Couldn't hear a thing for much of the time.

Does no-one who holds office in the BSPA check such things?

Many other stadiums in the NL could have done a better job on the day.

Coventry stadium needs investment but it will not get it on a short-term lease.

Coventry should no longer be allocated big meetings at any level.

Not sure where you were but it was okay on the back straight, although there did seem to be an echo from the grandstand ones as well which made things interesting. :lol: Once we moved to the 4th bend it was fine.

Following your bold statement that many other stadiums in the NL could have done a better job today can you give a few names to back it up? Bearing in mind there were 8 teams involved so you need room for 32 riders and bikes. I await your list with interest.

• Like 2

For a NL4s event it actually ran quite smoothly I thought

• Like 3

Bit embarrassing for coventry scoring just 2 points on their home circuit.

Well done to rye house. Could see them adding the pairs and NL riders to their trophy cabinet this season too.

Not really. This Coventry Storm team is by far the worst we have had since entering the NL. Add to that Knuckey and Greenwood both weren't there through injury and we were even weaker.

Surprise winners in Rye house but well deserved.

I have to agree Rye House were worthy winners, My biggest turn off was the attitude of the officials, why are the riders allowed back to the pits after every stoppage? Remaining riders should be straight back on two minutes. The decision to exclude Shuttleworth and remove him from the meeting, for his actions, well justified, No further action needed as he cost Belle Vue of a chance to win. Pity Ellis's bike packing up in Heat 8, robbed us of four laps of the duel of the two previously unbeaten riders (Ellis & Morley) Rules or no rules the decision of watching a single rider going round on his own, was a complete waste of time, common sense, award the race. As for the P.A. yes it was poor/non existent on bend 2 ,I moved to the grandstand area,, there is was working.Finally we need to allocate the Final based on their track conditions, not on who has room in the pits for X number of riders, maybe a track not in the National League?

Only decided to go on Friday and it looks like other than the Morley gang in the grandstand at the startline. I saw no other Rye House fans there.

Coventry stadium does the job and if the size of the crowd for what was billed as a major event is an indication of the sports popularity, then there is not going to be much money to make improvements or move to better premises.

I was worried that Rye House 'Raiders' were a 3 man team and that other teams would have more strength in depth, but for once Rye were lucky ( Luke's fall I'm ht1 final, was negated Perks and Shuttleworth being DQ'd} and a couple of other instances of Rye either missing or not being penalised in other races). Falls and engine failures happening to others.

Sam Woods - Hero, did exactly what was required of him, sat on the bike and scored in every race.

Luke Priest - Always giving it all, unlucky to fall when diving in for 2nd in the first ht in the final.

Rob Branford - Excellent performance, aggressive. skillfull a great asset to the Raiders.

Ben Morley - Rapidly becoming an irreplaceable part of the team, gives the appearance of young and mild rider, but has what is required when it is needed.

perhaps not the most naturally gifted rider, but look inside his trophy cabinet and see how he performs when the pressure is on.

Well done Rye #goraiders

My view on the Shuttleworth/Perks handbags, was that whatever happened between them on track. Perks hit the airbag/fence quite hard and had gone underneath it, Shuttleworth ran over and dragged him out from beneath the bag and then started into him, with a couple of jabs to the helmet a haymaker to the body armour and a kick to the box. He should have waited for the paramedic to check him out before trying to knock him out. lol..

• Like 1

Whenever I go to Coventry, I sit in the grandstand at the point where the riders are about to enter the first bend, and the speaker has always been inaudible. That was the case again yesterday, until mid-way through the meeting, when a ton full of wax must have fallen out of my ears, and they were perfect. It must be the first time I've ever heard the dulcet tones of David Hammond. As for poor old Peter York mumbling away on his roving mic, he might as well save his breath, because you can not really understand a word of what he's saying, and I'm not being rude to HIM by that, as I know and like the guy.

As for the meeting itself, being a King's Lynn supporter, I was extremely disappointed that we were unable to take our place, especially as my wife and I decided to make a weekend of it, and stayed in a motel, and not finding out about our withdrawal until after checking in. However, having said that, we would still have gone, and glad we did.

I don't know how long ago the programmes were printed, but I'd have thought it must have been over a week, as it's that long ago that Kyle Hughes broke his collarbone, and he was still listed to ride!! I also felt that an insert could or should have been printed with the inclusion of Buxton, so that we didn't have to try and write the Lords Prayer on the back of a postage stamp, so to speak, when it came to trying to write names in the riders scorechart for the absent King's Lynn.

I didn't find the racing very good in either of the semi-finals, and as far as I can remember, there wasn't single overtake, although Jordan Jenkins might have achieved one in his first race, but I'm not sure.

I thought Cradley Heath and Rye House deserved to reach the final, although I was hoping Mildenhall would make it, due my East Anglian connections. They put up a splendid fight, and the aforementioned Jordan Jenkins is a little bit special, and is one of many terrific prospects coming through the British Youth Championship scheme. As for Buxton, a club I like a lot, for whatever reason (presumably the late invite to the meeting) just didn't put a competitive enough team out, and missed the likes of Ryan Blacklock, Shelby Rutherford and Ryan Burton.

Like Group A, Group B supplied the right finalists in the shape of Belle Vue and Eastbourne. I expected a lot more from Birmingham, and I was a tad disappointed with their showing. Never at any stage did I think Coventry would finish anywhere but last, but I expected a better showing than two points from a reasonable quartet of riders.

So to the final, and this was excitement plus, and worth every penny of the entrance money. Congratulations to Rye House who were deserved winners, and commiserations to Dan Bewley, Lee Payne and Matt Williamson who were probably denied a winners trophy through the stupidity of Rob Shuttleworth. Had he not done what he did in Heat 1, he would have been allowed back into the re-run, and was guaranteed (assuming he didn't have an engine failure) 2-points. That alone, would have seen his club finish on 14-points along with Rye House. Then when he took his second ride in Heat 6, if he'd beat Sam Woods, then Belle Vue would have been outright winners, so he's got a lot to answer for.

I've just noticed that 'birchfield aces' has made a comment about Ashley Morris riding round on his own, was a waste of time, and that the race should have been awarded to him,. That I don't agree with, because he might have suffered an engine failure early in the re-run, and scored 0-points for his club, so it had to be run the way it was. I do however agree that riders should not be allowed back into the pits after every stoppage, although the exception to the rule is if one rider is on the track receiving medical attention, then I can see no reason why they shouldn't return.

Finally, congratulations to the Coventry workforce, who managed to keep the dust to a minimum, and basically produce a safe and decent race track for the riders. Roll-on the 2017 Final, hopefully with King's Lynn in it this time!!

• Like 1

This meeting had everything! Some

Good racing nice bit of drama and tensions on a last heat decider so unlucky for Eastbourne but well worth the trip way better than last years 4s very impressed! Track was very slick though.

• Like 1

.....birchfield aces............Finally we need to allocate the Final based on their track conditions, not on who has room in the pits for X number of riders, maybe a track not in the National League?

Sorry but that's a bit of a daft statement. Of course it's got to be based on which track has room in the pits or where are the other riders going to wait with a bike warmed up ready to ride? The semi's were conducted at the same time ~ one from group A then one from group B so that involved all 32 riders. As for the track being slick put some dirt down and they wouldn't be able to ride it.

• Like 1

Second half of the meeting was great. Great format that makes it very close. when the teams are well matched.

PA was rubbish.

Shame half the stands were closed. We go there late due to traffice and could not really see a spot where our group could have sat together but lots of empty cordoned off seats!

Shuttleworth got what he deserved and I say that one one clear reason. Fisty cuffs are one thing and in the hig drama of a meeting like that I can see how you can get like it. Ellis had already came under him pretty hard coming out of turn 4 and then took him off at turn two (although I feel Shuttleworth may have had a bit of a locker, I would never argue the decision) but the reason I have such an issue and feel the ban from the meeting was correct was the fact that Ellis was dragged out, pretty much, when he was still on the deck under his bike. He could have had a broken back for all Shuttleworth knew and his actions could have put Ellis in a wheel chair. If Ellis had bee on his feet then I would have said darg them apart and give Shuttleworth a £50 fine and let him ride on!

Ahhhh, gutted about the last race. I went there thinking Eastbourne would win easy. Then I got less sure as other teams were doing so well. When Jake Night won his heat and all we had was Adam Ellis in the last race needing to win I started working out my celebration dance!! Well, thats speedway I guess.

Fair play to Rye House. Seriously! To win a meeting that they were not even entered for originally is just brilliant. Pleased for the riders and their fans! (said while looking down at the dirt and kicking my feet around in it!)

• Like 1

Not sure where you were but it was okay on the back straight, although there did seem to be an echo from the grandstand ones as well which made things interesting. :lol: Once we moved to the 4th bend it was fine.

Following your bold statement that many other stadiums in the NL could have done a better job today can you give a few names to back it up? Bearing in mind there were 8 teams involved so you need room for 32 riders and bikes. I await your list with interest.

Eastbourne could easily do that number....Isle of Wight too...Buxton....King's Lynn....Belle Vue, I would imagine.

You may need to make temporary arrangements - having the space is the key factor. Not sure about Kent as I have never tried to look at their piits.

As for Buxton, a club I like a lot, for whatever reason (presumably the late invite to the meeting) just didn't put a competitive enough team out, and missed the likes of Ryan Blacklock, Shelby Rutherford and Ryan Burton.

We got a phone call on Friday evening just before 8pm asking if we could send a team to the Fours as Kings Lynn had pulled out and IOW and Stoke couldn't do it either. Blacklock was unavailable and Rutherford and Burton are both carrying injuries. We did the best we could in the circumstances and ensured that there were four teams in each group and even scored more than Coventry who tracked two of their heat leaders both of whom are PL standard.

Edited by Jayne
  • Like 2

Richard Weston...................I should think the Isle of Wight can be ruled out for a big meeting like this due to all the cost of getting the 32 riders/bikes/mechanics over there. Not sure many fans would make the journey either. For all its faults Coventry is pretty central and has all the facilities necessary. I thought the whole thing went off pretty well really and I wouldn't have gone anywhere else to watch it, except perhaps just up the road to Leicester.

.......stevec.......Shame half the stands were closed. We go there late due to traffice and could not really see a spot where our group could have sat together but lots of empty cordoned off seats!

Makes sense really to just use the middle bit as the more seats provided ~ and I think Coventry's grandstand holds well over 1,000 ~ extra stewards are needed and more rubbish to pick up afterwards.

.......Jayne...........We got a phone call on Friday evening just before 8pm asking if we could send a team to the Fours as Kings Lynn had pulled out and IOW and Stoke couldn't do it either. Blacklock was unavailable and Rutherford and Burton are both carrying injuries. We did the best we could in the circumstances and ensured that there were four teams in each group and even scored more than Coventry who tracked two of their heat leaders both of whom are PL standard.

All credit to Buxton for getting a team together at such short notice. I was quite surprised how bad Coventry were considering it's their home track but it didn't really bother me because I'm more interested in the racing than any particular team.

Edited by Gemini
  • Like 1

Surely no-one can be complaining that they can't hear Peter York?

What a blessing it was for them

• Like 4

Surely no-one can be complaining that they can't hear Peter York?

What a blessing it was for them

We give thanks for these small mercies!

Richard Weston...................I should think the Isle of Wight can be ruled out for a big meeting like this due to all the cost of getting the 32 riders/bikes/mechanics over there. Not sure many fans would make the journey either. For all its faults Coventry is pretty central and has all the facilities necessary. I thought the whole thing went off pretty well really and I wouldn't have gone anywhere else to watch it, except perhaps just up the road to Leicester.

Makes sense really to just use the middle bit as the more seats provided ~ and I think Coventry's grandstand holds well over 1,000 ~ extra stewards are needed and more rubbish to pick up afterwards.

All credit to Buxton for getting a team together at such short notice. I was quite surprised how bad Coventry were considering it's their home track but it didn't really bother me because I'm more interested in the racing than any particular team.

I of W handy for some.

Come to Eastbourne then...dogs very welcome at Arlington, by the way, you will be delighted to know - if I remember previous posts on BSF.

One dog has been a regular for 11 years.

I know, I know....posting this opens me up for a 101 jokes at Eastie's expense but it's true.

• Like 1