British Speedway Forum
dantodan

Redcar V Newcastle Pl Thursday 18th August 2016

good win for the diamonds nut nearly threw it away, cant believe the track never got watered and very little grading leaving the inside third like a dusty motorway, making racing close but difficult to pass imo

Well although pleased with the win this was not a performance that inspired any confidence - Rose excellent no doubt full of confidence knowing his reserve heat was against 3 others not in his league, but he scored vital points in all his rides, Lambert - ok and robbo good guest but Kus and Worrall both trying their best to throw the match away. Sorry but I don't buy into this "he was upset with Bjerre for a hard first bend" - what does he expect and he would have done the same!! he then left Robbo nowhere to go and then to go and get thrown out is ludicrous. Worrall two blatant jumps from the gate to get excluded and then another no brainer to wipe out Busch!! Madness!

Pleased to see many Diamonds fans recognize out riders were at fault for the two incidents, same as many Redcar fans acknowledge Robbo deserved to be back in, some excellent racing Busch's chase & pass in heat 8 top quality and Robbo/Anderson's battle in heat 14 tremendous trust and respect in each other.

Should have won this easy, any team allowing Phillips to score 2 points in heat two are totally reliant on top order doing the business and we have (supposedly) enough to stop this!

One final point re Etheridge taking a lap of honour, imo an excellent move by Bears management, after his torrid first season his confidence must be totally shot, if this can give him some back and help to get him back towards potential everyone says he has then full marks to Bjerre for letting him win and those who sent him round.

They then dropped him from his last ride.

• Like 1

good win for the diamonds nut nearly threw it away, cant believe the track never got watered and very little grading leaving the inside third like a dusty motorway, making racing close but difficult to pass imo

It did get watered, just not very well. The tractor that went round during breaks in between the racing had a very small blue container on it and, believe it or not, a very small amount of water was coming out the back. If they had asked the fans to go onto the track and spit on the track, it would have had more effect, I think!

Delaying start can also mean having to call riders back, there doesn't appear to be a reason of "jumping start" or "gaining an advantage"

Why do you say ref was terrible? you have just agreed with all his decisions (other than the delaying start - which again was correct), I can't remember anything else he did worth a comment.

As to lap of honour I agree with some others that if this gives the kid a boost then fair play :t:

aye maybe a tad harsh on reflection :)

Massive win for the Diamonds which could be vital for playoffs push, be honest would have taken point Bears are much stronger at home than earlier in season. Bit worried by poor exclusions at silly times point thrown away, but shows strength team to still win the meeting despite being under par apart from Rose excellent job especially with him covering r/r. However everybody contributed something even Danny in heat 2 which was vital in the end.

Edited by Big Diamond

The 5-1 in heat 2 was a shock for me and I was hoping Phillips would kick on and get some confidence boosting points but alas that did not happen. He was still way off the pace and considering how many laps he has done around that track was a surprise. Etheridge doing a lap of honour for beating nobody did make me chuckle quite a lot but I suppose you got to celebrate little victories. Strange Bjerre not coming out in 15, but as he has reported he does not want to race for the Bears not really a surprise, shame really as he is entertaining to watch around the STMP.

That's a bit hard on Danny. true he missed the gate in heat 4. but would have possibly got past Payne if he'd made the slightest mistake. He was put into heat 6 against Bellego and Busch who are top the two bears by average, despite Busch riding at two. And in heat 9 it was against Skidmore and Andersen, who both beat at least one of our heat leaders during the meeting. So like for like Etheridge didn't beat him at all, and against Payne it was 1-1. In effect he sacrificed his programmed easier rides for the sake of the team.

I would say delaying the start should mean the white light comes on first or yellow n black for an exclusion then the tapes go up& a re run with 3 riders only or is that to much common sense.The rider was excluded for delaying the start not a tapes offence or are the rules the same for an infringement.

I would say delaying the start should mean the white light comes on first or yellow n black for an exclusion then the tapes go up& a re run with 3 riders only or is that to much common sense.The rider was excluded for delaying the start not a tapes offence or are the rules the same for an infringement.

By jumping the start, especially after a warning, the rider is deemed to be "delaying the start" by preventing the race being run in a timely fashion. "delaying the start", "touching the tapes", and a "two minute time exclusion" are all deemed as Starting offences and have the same punishment. i.e. reserve replacement from the gate or 15 metre handicap. It should be pointed out that should the offence occur in heat 15 the nominated rider can now only be replaced by a reserve or starts off 15 metres ​from the same gate position as the offence occurred (not always from gate 4.)

By jumping the start, especially after a warning, the rider is deemed to be "delaying the start" by preventing the race being run in a timely fashion. "delaying the start", "touching the tapes", and a "two minute time exclusion" are all deemed as Starting offences and have the same punishment. i.e. reserve replacement from the gate or 15 metre handicap. It should be pointed out that should the offence occur in heat 15 the nominated rider can now only be replaced by a reserve or starts off 15 metres ​from the same gate position as the offence occurred (not always from gate 4.)

Thank you for that ,so when. Was the rule implemented as when Newcastle road at Glsgow the rules where not adhered to? Also the rules are making a mockery of the sport as you can only be penalised once for the offence not X 3 or make them up or a good barrister will tell you.

At Glasgow the rules were adhered to. It was changed by a supplementary Regulation on Wednesday 1st June. Supplementary regulation 2016/2.

Ironically this was the Wednesday after the Glasgow fixture, and may well have had something to do with the change

Edited by leander

Thank you for clearing that up Leander.I make that was a good change as the rule never penalised the team that made the infringement.

Thank you for clearing that up Leander.I make that was a good change as the rule never penalised the team that made the infringement.

I agree.

At Glasgow the rules were adhered to. It was changed by a supplementary Regulation on Wednesday 1st June. Supplementary regulation 2016/2.

Ironically this was the Wednesday after the Glasgow fixture, and may well have had something to do with the change

Not to sure about that. The situation happened first at Berwick when the referee Ronnie Allan had to be reminded that the replacement rider in heat 15 had to carry the punishment of the excluded rider. The Berwick promotion protested but were overruled. The wording of the rule was deemed to be a bit ambiguous, but the intention of its operation was known to George English who is on the MC. Shortly afterwards in another meeting, the ref wrongly allowed a reserve to be used instead of the excluded rider. In the Glasgow meeting. the substitute heat leader was allowed to replace the disqualified rider which meant Glasgow had not been penalised, and had gained advantage instead of punishment. The Supplementary was issued to stop it being ambiguous and outlined in more detail how the rule should be applied.

Dave,,, 'ambiguous' a love that word,,,, its a proper promoters word ;)

Like 'audacious' as well. :D