British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mdmc82

Play Off Race - Top 4

Indeed - I'm hoping that Wolves can gatecrash the party but Belle Vue & Poole really do look a class above. No doubt Woffinden has helped to close that gap though...........

agreed. Both teams look stronger however feel we can match them as outsiders.

Winning is the priority. Play offs will be a big crowd anyway, nothing to do with woffiden riding.

Exactly. Play offs are a huge hit.

Shame that Belle Vue won't be at full strength against Poole. No Fricke again so it's Paddy guesting and RR for Nicholls.

Great chance for Poole to get something away now

Oh I don't know, r/r for Nicholls probably makes them stronger, hasn't exactly been great around there. This excluded last nights meeting as I haven't seen the scorers!

Oh I don't know, r/r for Nicholls probably makes them stronger, hasn't exactly been great around there. This excluded last nights meeting as I haven't seen the scorers!

Think Nicholls RR rides mustered 6 pts last night, not too far off his 4 ride par score round BV this season.

They can't survive on crowds like tonight that's for sure. Less than 680 advanced tickets when I looked this afternoon is the lowest of the season.

Money in the bank has to be the priority so hopefully Poole don't pick the world champion despite their easy aggregate wins over his team this year.

ELA Wolves 94 Poole 86.

• Like 2

I'd be inclined to think assume the issue is with penalty payments forthcoming for the track debacle. EL teams only have 14 home meetings and Belle Vue have had huge crowds at least 4 times. The last Poole meeting being an example.

One thing I do wonder about is sponsorship - the stadium always looks very bare and there don't seem to be many advertising banners about the place(?). Also they are terrible at answering emails which is poor.

Edited by damosuzuki

They can't survive on crowds like tonight that's for sure. Less than 680 advanced tickets when I looked this afternoon is the lowest of the season.

Money in the bank has to be the priority so hopefully Poole don't pick the world champion despite their easy aggregate wins over his team this year.

Can't be surprising you get a low crowd when the worst team in the league is in town. Monday should be a bumper payday as will the playoffs whether your against Wolves and Tai or not.

I hope so. Mort told me they were disappointed with last years turn out.

I think the play offs need a rethink as what we end up paying Paul no way matches what we robbed off Peter earlier in the season.

Shame that Belle Vue won't be at full strength against Poole. No Fricke again so it's Paddy guesting and RR for Nicholls.

Great chance for Poole to get something away now

Hence another poor turn out

Only now are BV launching a poster campaign, in which fans can get free ? posters from the club, and put them up around their locality, with a prize for the best effort.

I cannot see BV beating Poole on aggregate scores over two legs, perhaps next weeks home meetings with Poole & Swindon could give an indication of which would be our best bet in the semi finals. We might not of course finish top which would mean we have no say in the matter.

Wolves would be our best financial meeting in the semis.

I still cannot believe that Kings Lynn beat us at home after seeing their performance at Poole last night. We can ill afford another performance like that.

• Like 1

I'd prefer that anyway as Poole will probably pick Swindon or Lakeside which leaves us with the plum tie of the knockout bit against the world champion and anything after that is just a bonus with the rent paid for yet another in one night.

If you are so worried about paying the rent now then you do have a problem. Wait untill the honeymoon period is over end of this season !!

I've no idea how long you've been watching speedway or if you know what happens to attendances in a traditional league championship race?

As you get nearer to the end of the season crowds used to get bigger and bigger as each meeting seemed to be more important as far as the title was concerned, and it didn't matter who the opposition was, even if it was the 'worst team in the league' visiting.

I do like referring back to 1993 for obvious reasons but this is also a perfect example. One of our last home meetings that season (it could have been 3rd last like Leicester last night?) we raced Cradley who were I think bottom of the league (or very near) yet it was one of, if not the, biggest home crowds of the season and I'm pretty sure we didn't even have a full team as we were hit hard with injuries that season as well!

This season our 3rd to last home meeting was probably our LOWEST of the season?

Almost identical circumstances yet we've got one of the biggest crowds v one of the lowest crowds of the season?

When I say 'almost identical' there is a crucial difference isn't there?

That is a very good point, we have to grab every penny while we can.

That is because they didn't have the play offs to look forward to and some people save their money for the big meetings these days.

You know, I thought that things were better then, but actually, they really weren't, were they....?

An all to familiar situation..

Speedway is a very poor student..

Never learns from its mistakes.

Speedway needs to die, it needs the life support machine switching off, and then, well, start again.

Edited by Shale Searcher