British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mdmc82

Play Off Race - Top 4

Remember it well! Hard to believe it got worse, a lot worse in fact.

Talking of worse, I've just looked at the ticket website for Monday and it's only just over 500 taken! I've seen more advanced sales for Colts meetings!

I think squashing 6 Aces and 2 Colts meetings in 3 weeks when there is well over another month of the season to go is a mistake.

Its not, like most fans today you pick your meetings. Fans today cannot afford it all.

Talking of worse, I've just looked at the ticket website for Monday and it's only just over 500 taken! I've seen more advanced sales for Colts meetings!

I think squashing 6 Aces and 2 Colts meetings in 3 weeks when there is well over another month of the season to go is a mistake.

There's plenty of time for ticket sales between now and monday night.

Maybe getting the track sorted before the season started may have helped

Edited by foreverblue
  • Like 1

There's plenty of time for ticket sales between now and monday night.

Maybe getting the track sorted before the season started may have helped

It will be nothing to do with that mate. You can never change a leapards spots, look at there crowds in the old stadium...

It must be difficult for BV as they are so many different sports around the area.

I don't think that has got anything to do with it. 2.5 million people live in the area. 30,000 got to old trafford, 40,000 got to Etihad. (the other 40,000 that make up old trafford are out of towners)

So lets say 110,000 out of 2.5 million. Not many is it. You have the rugby and small football clubs but not everyone likes football. There's a massive opportunity to get just 6000 inside Belle Vue. But when was the last time Belle Vue actually had a promoter who promoted?

If they thought the crowd was going to be small why didn't they run a discount promotion? 500 @ £17 is £8500. Not enough to cover anything. 1500 @ £10 is 15000. Plus the Sky money. Posters out stating a discount and to bring a friend etc. Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Like 1

I don't think that has got anything to do with it. 2.5 million people live in the area. 30,000 got to old trafford, 40,000 got to Etihad. (the other 40,000 that make up old trafford are out of towners)

So lets say 110,000 out of 2.5 million. Not many is it. You have the rugby and small football clubs but not everyone likes football. There's a massive opportunity to get just 6000 inside Belle Vue. But when was the last time Belle Vue actually had a promoter who promoted?

If they thought the crowd was going to be small why didn't they run a discount promotion? 500 @ £17 is £8500. Not enough to cover anything. 1500 @ £10 is 15000. Plus the Sky money. Posters out stating a discount and to bring a friend etc.

That seems to be the problem with quite a few promoters, they do not properly promote the sport when ever possible.

The above example is good plus clubs ought to give massive discounts or even free tickets to schools during the holiday period.

"Stuart Giles, Belle Vue's Commercial Manager" - now there was an oxymoron if ever there was. Sadly, BV has drifted along the path of commercial/marketing mediocrity over the past 22 years since this article was published.

Offering discounts to get people in only treats the symptoms of the problem rather than the cause.

The answer is staring everyone in the face and you only have to look at the cup final to realise fans will turn out if there is something worthwhile at stake.

Had last night mattered the crowd would have been double, if Monday was going to matter the crowd would have been bigger than the last Poole visit which was (despite the rubbish promotion) probably the biggest league gate of the season at any track in the country. It will be the same against Swindon on another night that would have been massive. Add in that apparently fans don't bother with qualifiers because they are saving money and it's even worse than I thought!

The playoffs have been the best thing to happen to speedway in many years.

Whilst Bv, Poole and Wolves might have kept their crowds up , Swindon and Lakeside would have been also rans and crowds would have dropped at these venues.

A team at the top always has big crowds, as Poole have. It runs completely against the trend for BV to get tiny crowds when top of the league. Something is going on here which is seriously wrong. A new stadium, a top of the table team and no crowd. Ridiculous. Put that stadium in Poole and that grandstand would be heaving every week. We would love Wimborne Road be developed into something like BV but the fans still turn up here in our dilapidated stadium.

I hope BV get a new promotion this winter. They can't do a worse job that the current people in charge.

Edited by Steve Shovlar

Offering discounts to get people in only treats the symptoms of the problem rather than the cause.

The answer is staring everyone in the face and you only have to look at the cup final to realise fans will turn out if there is something worthwhile at stake.

Had last night mattered the crowd would have been double, if Monday was going to matter the crowd would have been bigger than the last Poole visit which was (despite the rubbish promotion) probably the biggest league gate of the season at any track in the country. It will be the same against Swindon on another night that would have been massive. Add in that apparently fans don't bother with qualifiers because they are saving money and it's even worse than I thought!

Yet again you make the same mistake every time ..not every season is like this one ...many times a team runaway with the league so hardly any matches would be worthwhile under the old league season ..until you understand and factor that in you view is pointless .

• Like 2

The playoffs have been the best thing to happen to speedway in many years.

Whilst Bv, Poole and Wolves might have kept their crowds up , Swindon and Lakeside would have been also rans and crowds would have dropped at these venues.

A team at the top always has big crowds, as Poole have. It runs completely against the trend for BV to get tiny crowds when top of the league. Something is going on here which is seriously wrong. A new stadium, a top of the table team and no crowd. Ridiculous. Put that stadium in Poole and that grandstand would be heaving every week. We would love Wimborne Road be developed into something like BV but the fans still turn up here in our dilapidated stadium.

I hope BV get a new promotion this winter. They can't do a worse job that the current people in charge.

They'l need to get as much rent paid as soon as they can, because next season it will be back to the Status Quo...

"Stuart Giles, Belle Vue's Commercial Manager" - now there was an oxymoron if ever there was. Sadly, BV has drifted along the path of commercial/marketing mediocrity over the past 22 years since this article was published.

Problem is mate there is so much more for people to do nowadays compared to the 60-70's, and that applies everywhere..

It must be difficult for BV as they are so many different sports around the area.

Same in other cities. Greater Manchester has a huge population though compared to others. Edited by woz01

Belle Vue will need time, but my point in posting that article was to ask if that's where they were 22 years ago would ANYONE have believed it if you'd whisked them into the NSS at the bank holiday Poole meeting.

The advice I'd give them is do what Glasgow did - they went down and spent time with Matt Ford finding out how he'd gone about marketing and promotion at Poole.

• Like 1

Im going Monday i will get my ticket when i get there as will 75% of the crowd so why anyones bothered about advanced ticket numbers i will never know. The crowds this year have been good mostly, and i would say up there with most in the league apart from Poole.

But i agree with Steve 100% our promotion dont promote, they sit back and just expect everyone to turn up. They are legends for delivering us this amazing stadium but i feel we need new owners to take us to the next level. Maybe someone on the south coast will make a bid :)

Edited by SUPERACE
  • Like 1

There are more teams than can qualify for the play offs and have a chance of winning the league. How many team had a chance of winning the league by the end of august without the play offs?

The 6 play off meetings are usually the best attended of any meeting and the best racing. Teams usually charge more for the final so even more money is generated.

You can't keep comparing to what speedway was like in a previous era, what it was like in the good old days. Life has changed and so has sport. Play offs are a part of most sports in the current era and i think the majority of fans like them and embrace them

Edited by foreverblue
  • Like 2

Lol!

Every season teams all but qualify for the knockout cup bit by the end of august, leaving weeks and weeks of meaningless meetings till the cup final, every season.

Now and again a mega team emerges but it was very rare the season was over by the end of September in a proper league format, never mind august, happy to be shown the 'many times' though.

Even when there was a mega team they would attract attendances which would put some 'knockout cup bit' finals to shame, you must remember the crowds for the Belle Vue meetings at Swindon in the early 70s, it was the only thing that kept them going most seasons.

I hope you don't cry at this years end of an era meeting, ha ha!

Let again you are wrong ....as this year has shown it is important to finish top as it allows you pick who you ride in the semi another fact you fail to factor in ...so you point about meaningless is as normal is not true ...with that in mind and with you saying it happens every season ...what matches have been meaningless this season due to the play offs ?

Edited by orion
  • Like 1

There would be a far bigger crowd for Mondays match with Poole if it was not on tv i m o.If a couple go to Belle vue sit in the grandstand buy 2 progs,parking,drink/snack + petrol its over £60.A lot of fans will stay home and watch it and spend the money on the play off semi's they then get to see both meetings for half the cost a no brainer for a lot of people these days.

On a personal note i will be there i am a season ticket holder.I posted on another thread that a good few years ago i used to be able to afford to go to speedway,football,cinema and have a good few nights in the pub every week.But these days leasure and everything else seems to cost a hell of a lot more than it used to so like most people these days i have to pick what i want to do i cannot afford to do it all.In the summer i pick speedway above all others and do other things in the winter.From the crowds all over these days it would seem that a lot of people choose to mix it up and pick out a few speedway meetings they want to attend hence the big crowd difference from match to match.So there are a lot of choices for the leasure £ and people have to choose where they spend it and speedway seems to be a little to low on the list for my liking.

• Like 2