British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dazzafl

Bomber 6 Year Silencer Trouble

And in any case, he can hardly use the 2010 silencer as an excuse now. They were discarded two years ago! The present silencer - at least the King version - is basically the same as the pre-2010 model, but with a washer to reduce the intenal passage a bit.

does that inpact on performance at all ? reducint the gasses leaving will surely make an impact on performance. ?

i think he needs to realise he isnt gp standard anymore.

But he keeps qualifying or getting selected. Sure it would be nice to see Emil (I agree with Shovlar, over-rated) but I will like to see that proven on the track but here's the thing, Emil didn't want to ride the GPs. So we can not knock those that choose to qualify.

But he keeps qualifying or getting selected. Sure it would be nice to see Emil (I agree with Shovlar, over-rated) but I will like to see that proven on the track but here's the thing, Emil didn't want to ride the GPs. So we can not knock those that choose to qualify.

I have no problem with him being picked as a wild card, id have serious doubts about the way the person who picks hims brain is functioning though. And if he qualifys, fair play. No complaints.

But he needs to realise he is past his prime and as good a rider he is, he isnt gp standard anymore.

I love Chris Harris, I have argued with many people that he should in the GP series the last few seasons, he's my favourite rider. But when he comes out with statements like this I just have to shake my head and tut. Really?

I read the article and I read it as he blames himself and let the change of silencers (and other things) rule his head. The chopping and changing certainly doesn't help either which he has also said in the past wasn't ideal. Interesting that he also talks about riding style and having to change that aspect. I don't see it an excuse article at all, he pretty much blames himself over anything else.

• Like 2

I think tracks changed a lot since he was at his prime and that hurt Harris a lot more than silencers, nowadays its very slick and most of the times its far too easy for riders who have rockets like Hancock, Woffinden. Back then you had to work a lot more to even stay on the bike, those tracks suited Harris style.

• Like 1

I think the article just proves a very naive approach. The change of almost anything on a speedway bike requires an amendment to setup. Different engines have different characteristics, carburetors the same and exhausts would be no different. Its been apparent to many for years that the issues Bomber has been facing are setup related but it has taken 6+ years for the man himself to realise.

He doesn't need to change his riding style but he does need to experiment and find a solution to his current situation, sadly though that may take a large amount of expense which may not be available to him?

it hasnt taken him 6 yrs to realise, he says he's been struggling for the last 6 yrs he knew from yr one it was silencers , and he has been trying many different things in the yrs since but nothing seems to work for him

it hasnt taken him 6 yrs to realise, he says he's been struggling for the last 6 yrs he knew from yr one it was silencers , and he has been trying many different things in the yrs since but nothing seems to work for him

He has certainly said similar in the past. He's known it for ages yet he or the few mechanics he's had haven't solved it. Its quite bizarre really.

To be honest it just proves whats been obvious all along in that he has by far the least mechanical mind in the GP's. Its why the whole Gerhard thing was odd.

• Like 2

does that inpact on performance at all ? reducing the gasses leaving will surely make an impact on performance. ?

The one which I bought was for a MDL rider; at that level they don't notice some difference in performance! The point is, that the latest silencers replaced the disliked 2010 type, which were very restrictive and led to overheating for those riders who really thrash the engine. (Which is why Harris and others couldn't get on with them). We had a Prodrive silencer before, which didn't do this, but was much better-made than the King type and so was much more expensive and therefore not bought.

I think many things have changed in the past 6 years since the introduction of the silencers including super short stroke engines and slicker tracks to suit them none of which is going to suit a rider who likes to blast around the outside in the deep dirt to make up for his poor gating.

But I read that statement as a rider being critical of himself for not adapting to suit the changes over time. He also recognises that some others have adapted very well while others have struggled for consistency. Can't see how he is blaming anything but himself and saying when he thought his problems began and why.

• Like 2

And in any case, he can hardly use the 2010 silencer as an excuse now. They were discarded two years ago! The present silencer - at least the King version - is basically the same as the pre-2010 model, but with a washer to reduce the intenal passage a bit.

that washer even in the modified version of the King silencer makes a total difference in the bikes power/ performance

What all this does show is the wider issue that speedway is hurtling down an exclusive tuning based only sport road like F1 where the riders don't matter and it's all about the engine , speedway has never been that type of sport and it will kill it off completely if it continues on this path

• Like 2

that washer even in the modified version of the King silencer makes a total difference in the bikes power/ performance

What all this does show is the wider issue that speedway is hurtling down an exclusive tuning based only sport road like F1 where the riders don't matter and it's all about the engine , speedway has never been that type of sport and it will kill it off completely if it continues on this path

It pretty much has already and the doctored tracks of today are contributing to it.

I'm a huge fan of Bomber. Obviously a very nice lad, good rider, genuine World Class a few years back and can never be faulted for effort and entertainment. However what I find incomprehensible, is that he puts all this effort in to staying in the GPs and then does little to no testing or preparation in the winter pre season. All the other riders announce what they are doing and Bomber goes into GP 1 every season saying he's struggling with his set up. Mind blowing to me.

Edited by RPNYC