British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
spencebel

Panthers V Rye House Followed By Panthers V Workington 4/9/2016 @2.30pm

Wow that's a surprise Peterborough called today's meeting off last night that must have been one lonely big rain cloud hanging over the track last night as the only dry place last night on our way to Ryehouse was when we went past Peterborough hit the M11 and it started raining again and didn't stop until we hit Ryehouse. Got there to find out Ryehouse was cancelled so we turned straight back made our way home wipers going like crazy stopped at Peterborough services no rain passed the junction for Peterborough about 10.30 pm oh what a surprise no rain no wet road lovely clear night but obviously that one lonely rain cloud was still there hanging over the track.

I think that's the real point.You'd probably be better positioned to judge than me but it was supposed to stop raining at 11pm last night. With the amount of time for drainage and apparent available preparation time its hard to stomach that the track couldn't have been made ready for racing.Experience tells me, however, that the promotion have to be very careful about what they make public about EOES. Not right and it will inevitably lead to speculation, but there's little Peterborough can do about it.

Although it's bright this morning it's not drying weather and there are still wet patches on the ground. Moving tons of wet shale from the big EOES circuit would be a major job this morning. If fans want to waste their time watching 20 people standing on the first bend for 15 mins before the meeting is called off at 2.45 then good look them. Rathbone made a difficult but sensible decision and gets crucified for it. You can't win with speedway fans unless it's the latest hurricane that halts the meeting.

Edited by Crump99
  • Like 5

Last night rye and eastbourne attempted to run against an atrocious weather forecast. Both ended up with late call offs with people inside the stadium. Sometimes an early call off benefits everyone. I can't comment on todays track conditions at the showground, but with a dry day expected it's dissapointing that the meeting is off.

Edited by cityrebel
  • Like 2

It's done now and it's yesterday's news.. we still have 2 cracking meetings to look forward to...maybe this week.. hopefully as single meetings.

• Like 3

Is there any evidence to suggest Bjerre wouldn't have been back in time, or does it just fit the agenda for the couple of people who are suggesting that Ged has called this off for any reason apart from the weather ?

• Like 2

What's the weather like today?

It's overcast now (hour on from previous post) and not very nice tbh. Met Office says no rain but if you didn't know that you then you'd probably think rain was a distinct possibility.

Edited by Crump99

Is there any evidence to suggest Bjerre wouldn't have been back in time, or does it just fit the agenda for the couple of people who are suggesting that Ged has called this off for any reason apart from the weather ?

That would be people 2 and 2 together. Honestly, then fans that the club are picking up from other teams currently is immense, good to see fans taking a liking to our club.

none whatsoever - just a bit of mischievious speculation.... wink

It's done now and it's yesterday's news.. we still have 2 cracking meetings to look forward to...maybe this week.. hopefully as single meetings.

perhaps this is more on the mark.

If 2 new single dates have/can be agreed then this surely would be much better financially than a double header...

Apparently there are only two beach huts available for rent at the Showground today but with the forecast the management fully expect a sell out.

With all the technology available these days there could be an instant end to any speculation by just putting a couple of photos of the track on social media. Jayne did this recently to show the Buxton track under water as proof of why their recent meeting couldn't take place.

If 2 new single dates have/can be agreed then this surely would be much better financially than a double header...

Not necessarily because I know a lot of people who were heading over to Peterborough this afternoon that don't go very often, us included. I think it would have been a bumper attendance today that would have covered any loss in the usual admission fee.

Edited by Gemini
  • Like 1

So, Rye House now have six meeting to fit in before the deadline, two at home (one already arranged on an off-race night) and four away. Plus the PLKOC Semi Finals against Newcastle

This after a period when the Rockets didn't race for what seemed like a month (one home PL meeting between 26 June and 12 August, plus no completed away PL match until 24 June?!).

I had intended attending both the Saturday match at home to the Scorpions and the away fixture at the EoES. If these are now arranged mid-week, I can't see my self attending either. OK, only one person, but I am sure that I am not alone in holding the same viewpoint and agree with Gemini's comment that today could have been a bumper attendance at the Showground which will not now be replicated. I for one will think twice before committing to an 180 mile round trip along the A14 and up the A1.

• Like 1