British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mdmc82

Belle Vue V Coventry Friday 2nd Sep

For those who criticize the EDR scheme, surely Jacobs is a prime example of it working? Progress in the 2nd half of this season has been incredible.

Can't say i have seen an 'incredible' improvement in Jacobs, having watched him most weeks at Ipswich. He has improved this season but his EL average is still under 4 and he's been at reserve all that time. Adam Ellis at 6.69 is streets ahead of Joe on the the improvement ladder, and has spent plenty of time in the main body of the team also..

For those who criticize the EDR scheme, surely Jacobs is a prime example of it working? Progress in the 2nd half of this season has been incredible.

I think he's really progressed in the 2nd half of the season, more so at home which is great to see.

I think the EDR system has worked better for some than others. I think last year's success story was Garrity who has since held his own in the top 5 all season and upped his average. I think riders should only be able to be in it a couple of years and then leave the list and step up to the top 5 as he has done.

I personally think this year's success story has been Steve Worrall. He has been brilliant to watch at reserve but also copes well in the top 5. Good progression from Bates & Ellis as well this season.

Howarth has been the one who has surprised me as I thought he would be cleaning up at reserve and that he would be too good for the draft but he's really struggled.

Edited by mdmc82

Can't say i have seen an 'incredible' improvement in Jacobs, having watched him most weeks at Ipswich. He has improved this season but his EL average is still under 4 and he's been at reserve all that time. Adam Ellis at 6.69 is streets ahead of Joe on the the improvement ladder, and has spent plenty of time in the main body of the team also..

Fair comment, although I think what people are trying to point out is the transformation from Jacobs between his comeback at the start of the season through to now. First watching Joe at Belle Vue when the stadium opened in May, he looked a million miles from being an EL no.7, I really feared for him. I think regular Aces watchers will back me on that.

He now looks sharp from the tapes, smooth, rides smart lines & is clocking good times round Belle Vue. Of course there's room for improvement on his travels but from looking a kid with an uncertain future, he looks like someone who could have a decent speedway career, whether at PL level or higher, who knows? Think comparison with Adam Ellis is a tough one as I would put him at a different level to Joe anyway, but I take your point, liked the look of him at BV last week. But Joe is doing just fine, long may it continue.

Edited by mikec
  • Like 2

Jacobs has progressed hugely - from someone who took time out of the sport, to come in and score as he has been, even if it is only at home, has been superb. Hes been a rider to catch my eye whilst looking through the scores.

But i would say in general, the edr has been a success for certain riders and not for a few.

It does prove how hard the el would be, for example would you see Ellis holding down a pl heatleader berth? I dont think he would just yet. Yet he is scoring freely in the el.

Then look at bates, hardly ripping it up for sheffield. But flying in the el.

Garritty and in particular S Worrall have been the biggest success stories. Worrall was on the verge of retirement 2 or 3 years ago, a sub 3 point pl average. Since the drafts came in, hes emerged as a solid el second string and a huge force in the pl, same as garrity.

Newman has stalled somewhat and in all honesty i think he could of peaked now

• Like 1

Any news on bomber ?

This was taken from Coventry's website last night but not heard or seen anything else since.

"Bomber's ribs on the hand side are still hurting from the crash at Coventry, and the one in the Grand Prix, and now hes done the ribs on his right side.

Hes gone to hospital for an x-ray because if youve broken ribs it can be really sharp and youve got all of the internal organs there, so its definitely best to go to hospital and get it checked out.

severe bruising and tissue damage, as posted on Bees website

speedy recovery Bomber

• Like 2

Dead right, Phil. Best I have seen him ride by a long chalk. I'd also say heat 15, WOW. Cracking race.

Zagar's pass of King was a bit special too. Just kept winding it on until he found the space to get past.

Although it was pretty one sided it was decent enough but I am very often left with the feeling it could be so much better. I am told on good authority that the track needs time to bed in, so there's every chance that things will improve.

A qualified replacement for Colin Meredith is an absolute must. For heavens sake, don't do track preparation on the cheap.

I share your concern surrounding recent track prep at BV. Grading breaks seem to have become elongated & somewhat stuttering recently. Maybe they do know what they are doing, but I don't always get that impression watching on.

Another observation on recent matches is a lack of drive on the inside line. Steve Worrall in particular in earlier matches would dive tight into the 3rd bend, picking up drive & pull alongside the rider on the wide line coming off turn 4. That tactic seems to have been completely negated by recent prep. Suppose it is testament to the track shape that despite the above, it is still producing some outstanding racing.

Saturday September 03, 2016

COVENTRY captain Chris Harris thankfully avoided any broken bones in his crash at Belle Vue on Friday.

Harris was forced to withdraw from the meeting after his Heat 11 clash with the Aces Steve Worrall, and he was taken to A&E for X-rays with concerns over rib damage.

Fortunately nothing is broken and he has escaped with severe bruising and tissue damage, along with cuts and grazes although he also saw another brand-new bike wrecked in the accident.

With the next Grand Prix in Germany next weekend and two more matches for the Buildbase Bees this season at Wolves on September 12 and at home to Kings Lynn on September 16 Harris is hopeful of making a speedy resumption to racing.

View Full Site

Spot on.

Jacobs and Ellis this season have come on in leaps and bounds. Ellis was already some way ahead of Jacobs at the start of the season for some trying to compare the 2.

Even riders like Clegg at Wolves have come on as well.

The system does work form time to time as proven by the success of Garrity and Worrall

But then you also get those who have just stalled like Howarth and Newman

Yep. But don't think you can blame those that have stalled on the system - they just haven't kicked on as you would have expected.

You could add Paul starke to the list of successes. And probably Sargent to the list of those who have stalled.

The issue now is do you try to being through a new wave, or allow the existing pool to continue filling EDR slots. Much I guess will depend on next year's league structure.

• Like 2

Jacobs did not need the EDR he is more than a little bit special and the sport certainly doesn't need the scheme he would have made the same progress without it !!!

• Like 1

Spot on.

Jacobs and Ellis this season have come on in leaps and bounds. Ellis was already some way ahead of Jacobs at the start of the season for some trying to compare the 2.

The system does work form time to time as proven by the success of Garrity and Worrall

Talent will always come through. The likes of Loram, Louis, Woffy, Bomber, Scotty, Cookie and Lambert etc did not become Elite Lge heatleaders because of the EDR system, it was because they were good enough. Having protected rides in a very weak league does not make you a better rider imo, and these guys will be getting better in the Premier Lge where they often face tougher rides.

The fact that they are getting more rides because of the EDR will help them, but their progress will be what it is, EDR or not..

• Like 1

Spot on.

Sorry can't agree the way it has changed( ruined IMO) the EL format is too high a price to pay, as only a few have really come to the fore and would have done so anyway and probable within the same timescale

Talent will always come through. The likes of Loram, Louis, Woffy, Bomber, Scotty, Cookie and Lambert etc did not become Elite Lge heatleaders because of the EDR system, it was because they were good enough. Having protected rides in a very weak league does not make you a better rider imo, and these guys will be getting better in the Premier Lge where they often face tougher rides.

The fact that they are getting more rides because of the EDR will help them, but their progress will be what it is, EDR or not..

Spot on :t: