British Speedway Forum
Pob

Ipswich Witches Vs Sheffield Tigers Pl Thurs Sep 8th

Can anyone explain why we started the season so well but are finishing it so badly? In the first third of the season it looked as though the Tigers were set for a top three finish, but now it looks as if we'll finish sixth (AGAIN!) and draw Peterborough in the play-offs (AGAIN!) and get wiped out in the first round (AGAIN!)

Quite a few reasons.

Stead coming in on incredibly high average after a serious injury, not quite the rider he was and dropped two points of his average.

Garrity missing so many matches due to injury, in total for Trophy, Cup and League matches Jason has only rode 80 races this season, compared to Steady who has raced 132.

The rolling averages, in truth Garrity is Sheffield's number one rider on the form this season its only because the rolling averages that kept Stead at number 1 this season. If the old system was used and Garrity was at number 1 we would have been able to use the Guest facility rather than Rider Replacement.

Inconsistent third heatleader and 2nd string, Kyle Howarth at home and Berge away have been inconsistent, that has caused problems with them not only not scoring for the team but providing cover for the injured Garrity.

Loss of form, Josh Bates has had a very poor season, and shown no form whatsoever, again cause many problems covering for Jason Garrity.

Low scoring reserves, all three reserves used did not or have not scored the points expected of them.

Unlucky, the Peterborough league match was a turning point for me, a meeting we was unlucky to lose.We were already using Rider Replacement for Garrity but appeared to be cruising to victory when we lost Stead after one ride.

Poor Team Management, swapping and changing rider line up's when its not needed, and failure to use thee tactical ride at the right times does not help.

For me the Play Offs are dead for us , and to be fair we don't deserve to be there, which after a good start to the season has left a lot of Sheffield fans deflated.

Some very serious thinking needs to be done for Promotion next season.

• Like 2

Well I enjoyed seeing some speedway last night and apart from a very good performance by Steady there was very little backup from anyone else in the Tigers side. A pity Garrity came off in his first ride which obviously aggravated his wrist injury, maybe he wasn't really fit enough to race in the first place?

Good performances all round from the Witches and we always knew Dannys impressive sequence of consecutive race wins would come to an end eventually.

As I've said before unless some kind of miracle occurs our season ends in the next week or so but at least we've ended it well looking totally unbeatable at home. Such a shame we didn't start as well or we'd be looking forward to the playoffs right now.

We can always hope I suppose.

We suffer every season because changes are not made quick enough. Plus Hume should have got his chance before greenwood. Lessons maybe learnt? Tune in next year folks to find out

Personally I think Dan came in at the right time and if he had directly replaced Darryl he wouldn't be doing what he is doing now.

He had a few extra weeks of building up his confidence riding in the NL with Birmingham. I even think that in retrospect it was the right decision not to use him at Owlerton and to trial Jake Knight, even though that may have cost Ipswich the win.

It shouldn't be forgotten that Dan was bought as a long term prospect and No. 8, but I don't think anyone could have foreseen the absolutely massif strides forward this very pleasant young man has made since the end of last season.

• Like 2

Personally I think Dan came in at the right time and if he had directly replaced Darryl he wouldn't be doing what he is doing now.

He had a few extra weeks of building up his confidence riding in the NL with Birmingham. I even think that in retrospect it was the right decision not to use him at Owlerton and to trial Jake Knight, even though that may have cost Ipswich the win.

It shouldn't be forgotten that Dan was bought as a long term prospect and No. 8, but I don't think anyone could have foreseen the absolutely massif strides forward this very pleasant young man has made since the end of last season.

That Damn repeat button again. Anyway more importantly Mr Hume is a witches asset so at least we won't have to barter for his services. Slightly off topic but I find it amusing that Peterborough change half the team and still they can't buy a win! Edited by T B