British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bri1966

Congratulations Somerset

You only got 40 points at the EWR with your top two. ;)

But yeah, it's something of a bogey track for the Diamonds.

Still don't fancy you across two legs against Somerset.

All the best

Rob

Gazc, although he was trying to hide them, I couldn't help but notice the Scotman's Peterborough Panthers socks when I saw him at Ipswich. ;)

All the best

Rob

Still enough to completely out point you though and that's the point - it's an aggregate win. We have also quite comfortably beaten Somerset over the 2 meetings on aggregate scores already least you forget. Still think you're biased based on Newcastle due to the meetings at Scunthorpe. The 2 teams I'm more nervous about are Glasgow and Edinburgh to be honest as they have riders who ride Newcastle very well consistently and I'd rather face Somerset over 2 legs than those 2. Time will tell though.

Edited by acclennell
  • Like 2

You only got 40 points at the EWR with your top two. ;)

But yeah, it's something of a bogey track for the Diamonds.

Still don't fancy you across two legs against Somerset.

s

All the best

Rob

Gazc, although he was trying to hide them, I couldn't help but notice the Scotman's Peterborough Panthers socks when I saw him at Ipswich. ;)

All the best

Rob

Of course it is a bogey track as you always flood the bloody track unto 11/2 hours before the meeting with us. The riders do notice and do talk about it.

Even with your crazy rubbishing/fixing of the track you still get turned over big style on our constant racing circuit which gets good praise normally, especially when we have the access probs that nobody else seems to have. Refs reports suggest we are decent.

• Like 2

Of course it is a bogey track as you always flood the bloody track unto 11/2 hours before the meeting with us. The riders do notice and do talk about it.

Even with your crazy rubbishing/fixing of the track you still get turned over big style on our constant racing circuit which gets good praise normally, especially when we have the access probs that nobody else seems to have. Refs reports suggest we are decent.

yeah, but Dave, we usually flood ours for 1 1/2 days (sometimes weeks) prior to a meeting !!!

and as his team is languishing in the southern hemisphere of the league, am sure the guy knows exactly what he's talking about ;)

Edited by ruffdiamond

Tsunami, yep Newcastle, in turn, is Scunny's bogey track, because we struggle around a wrongly shaped track, with turns which are too tight in comparison to the length of the straights.

As for watering the track during a daytime meeting, Scunny do this well. I've been to daytime meetings at e.g. Rye House, where I've struggled to see the other side of the stadium by the end of the meeting. On the other hand, Scunny only tends to have a bit of dust right towards the end of a double-header. An example is how good the track was for the recent MDLRC, which followed the Scunny v Newcastle meeting.

All the best

Rob

Still enough to completely out point you though and that's the point - it's an aggregate win. We have also quite comfortably beaten Somerset over the 2 meetings on aggregate scores already least you forget. Still think you're biased based on Newcastle due to the meetings at Scunthorpe. The 2 teams I'm more nervous about are Glasgow and Edinburgh to be honest as they have riders who ride Newcastle very well consistently and I'd rather face Somerset over 2 legs than those 2. Time will tell though.

Think both Edinburgh and Glasgow would have hoped Newcastle could dispose of Somerset in the semi final, now there's a fair chance only one of them will benefit if Newcastle get Somerset in the semi, and I can't see Gary May picking a tie with Newcastle given a choice.

Tsunami, yep Newcastle, in turn, is Scunny's bogey track, because we struggle around a wrongly shaped track, with turns which are too tight in comparison to the length of the straights.

As for watering the track during a daytime meeting, Scunny do this well. I've been to daytime meetings at e.g. Rye House, where I've struggled to see the other side of the stadium by the end of the meeting. On the other hand, Scunny only tends to have a bit of dust right towards the end of a double-header. An example is how good the track was for the recent MDLRC, which followed the Scunny v Newcastle meeting.

All the best

Rob

Been the same way for a quite a few year now :party: and I can't see it changing unless someone with money comes in buys the woofs out. To be honest the Newcastle fans have seen decades of exciting speedway to match anywhere in the country. If riders like Mauger, Olsen, Michanek, the Owens, Nikki/Bjarne, Kenneth give it the thumbs up then that's good enough for me.

Edited by acclennell
  • Like 1

If the proper Starke and Grajczonek turn up and with Jake having seen borough park i'm sure we can beat Newcastle over two legs. Tbf Garry may have been shrewd anyway let them finish second then we don't have to face the Diamonds in the semi.

Edited by Brummie Rebel

If the proper Starke and Grajczonek turn up and with Jake having seen borough park i'm sure we can beat Newcastle over two legs. Tbf Garry may have been shrewd anyway let them finish second then we don't have to face the Diamonds in the semi.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• Like 1

If wealthy Steve Lansdowne invited Rebels to join his Bristol Sport "umbrella" (Bristol City FC, Bristol Rugby, Ladies Netball etc), could/would the Rebels be able to move into the Elite League? Some of their current riders double up in PL & EL.

Been the same way for a quite a few year now :party: and I can't see it changing unless someone with money comes in buys the woofs out. To be honest the Newcastle fans have seen decades of exciting speedway to match anywhere in the country. If riders like Mauger, Olsen, Michanek, the Owens, Nikki/Bjarne, Kenneth give it the thumbs up then that's good enough for me.

As Ivan used to say, if you can ride Brough Park you can ride anywhere. He was instrumental in recommending young Kiwis to come to Newcastle to accelerate their learning in the sport. Even had him once as a guest tutor at one of my training school. Great experience.

Sounds like someones running scared.

• Like 2

As Ivan used to say, if you can ride Brough Park you can ride anywhere. He was instrumental in recommending young Kiwis to come to Newcastle to accelerate their learning in the sport. Even had him once as a guest tutor at one of my training school. Great experience.

That must have been rather awesome!

All the best

Rob

• Like 2

That must have been rather awesome!

All the best

Rob

it was Rob and a great occasion. I did invite him, but I knew he had 4 other events to go to that Sunday afternoon. I spoke with Gordon Stobbs his lifelong mechanic who I knew from the 60's with him being a Diamond fan then, and asked if he would have a word. On the day I said to the trainee riders that we may be having a guest today, and sure enough he got out of his other bookings, and just walked in and got the lads together and talked to them about learning speedway. He spend quite a bit of time with us, gave each one advice and was pleased to have his photo taken by everyone who wanted one. Incidently some of the photos are on our Facebook NEWCASTLE SPEEDWAY TRAINING GROUP. You can spot Liam Carr in his green Wolfsport kit and was having his first laps after coming over from MotoCross.

A memorable day, thanks to Gordon and Ivan.

• Like 2

If wealthy Steve Lansdowne invited Rebels to join his Bristol Sport "umbrella" (Bristol City FC, Bristol Rugby, Ladies Netball etc), could/would the Rebels be able to move into the Elite League? Some of their current riders double up in PL & EL.

Would love SL to get involved, but would not be interested in going into the EL. It's only 'Elite' by name, not by nature. Plus it's boring...only 8 teams...same old riders.

Hopefully if Speedway shakes itself up next season, we may get a better league system for all.

Sounds like someones running scared.

Erm no seeing as I said I think we could beat you over two legs. Just other than Somerset you are the best team and i'm sure any smart manager would try and help you get second so they don't have to face you and perhaps get knocked out.

Erm no seeing as I said I think we could beat you over two legs. Just other than Somerset you are the best team and i'm sure any smart manager would try and help you get second so they don't have to face you and perhaps get knocked out.

I think Newcastle are stronger than Somerset over 2 legs. We have often not had a full team on the road but that won't be the case in the playoffs.

• Like 2