British Speedway Forum
Flappy

Peterborough Panthers 2017

PANTHERS CHIEF EXCITED

Tuesday January 24, 2017
rathbone_ged.jpg

PETERBOROUGH boss Ged Rathbone believes his side’s early schedule will provide a pointer to their SGB Championship prospects.

The Panthers’ first competitive meeting of 2017 will be a home date against Scunthorpe at the Showground on Friday, March 24. Their first away test will also be against the Scorpions, on Sunday, April 2, and they also face league clashes against highly-touted Ipswich and Sheffield in April, along with a KO Cup tie against a revamped Redcar outfit.

Rathbone said: “The opening few weeks will give us a good idea of where we’re at. I’ve said all along that there is no such thing as an easy fixture – home or away.

“Any one of the 10 teams at this level will be capable of getting a result against any other on any given day.

“I think every single meeting will be unpredictable and exciting. It’s going to the best season for a long time for supporters.”

www.speedwaygb.com

Leicester challenge matches?

I'd be surprised if we didn't face Kings Lynn now Dale is in charge

Leicester challenge matches?

I'd be surprised if we didn't face Kings Lynn now Dale is in charge

Lynn don't ride Saturdays? Anyway Ipswich tried to arrange challenges with Lynn but their riders won't all be back.

Or maybe Rye House

Could be being a Saturday night track but again why would it still be tbc? I think Leicester makes the most sense. Edited by Noodles

Lynn don't ride Saturdays? Anyway Ipswich tried to arrange challenges with Lynn but their riders won't all be back.

Could be being a Saturday night track but again why would it still be tbc? I think Leicester makes the most sense.

Yes it looks favourite to me also.

Just looking at the fixtures and Saturday 13th May against Newcastle will be on at the same time as the Warsaw SGP on telly.

And why plan a meeting on Sunday 23rd July when a lot of people will still be in Cardiff, on their way back or stopping off to watch the World U21 Final at Swindon.

Edited by Noodles
  • Like 1

Just looking at the fixtures and Saturday 13th May against Newcastle will be on at the same time as the Warsaw SGP on telly.

And why plan a meeting on Sunday 23rd July when a lot of people will still be in Cardiff, on their way back or stopping off to watch the World U21 Final at Swindon.

i'll be in Warsaw, Cardiff, and intended going to Swindon .. maybe there's a coachload from Redcar that have a deal to stop at the Showground on the way back from Cardiff?

think Peterborough v Redcar has been arranged for the Sunday after Cardiff the last couple of seasons

Edited by stevehone

Problem is that I doubt that our planning has much to do with it. We go with what the EoES gives us and they'll not worry about events elsewhere of no interest to themselves. I don't think that there is a genuine gripe on the first one. Most people can record it and watch later. Also an early GP in the series isn't that significant in the final shake up. July is more unfortunate, but is some way off and might always be changed if possible and sensible. How many fans does it really affect though? If dates are scarce, then although he doesn't want to, I guess Rathbone just has to take any potential financial hit on that one. A fixture after a TV Brit GP on a nice Sunday might entice a few newbies.

Edited by Crump99

Problem is that I doubt that our planning has much to do with it. We go with what the EoES gives us and they'll not worry about events elsewhere of no interest to themselves. I don't think that there is a genuine gripe on the first one. Most people can record it and watch later. Also an early GP in the series isn't that significant in the final shake up. July is more unfortunate, but is some way off and might always be changed if possible and sensible. How many fans does it really affect though? If dates are scarce, then although he doesn't want to, I guess Rathbone just has to take any potential financial hit on that one. A fixture after a TV Brit GP on a nice Sunday might entice a few newbies.

Well we are in Cardiff for the whole weekend so that's 3 missing. For some it'll also influence their decision to buy a season ticket or not, such are the margins.

How many track staff will also be in Cardiff still?

Edited by Noodles

Well we are in Cardiff for the whole weekend so that's 3 missing. For some it'll also influence their decision to buy a season ticket or not, such are the margins.

I think the days of speedway season tickets and calculators are well gone. When I bought one it was just for the convenience of being sorted before a wheel is turned, knowing that I'd probably miss some but would, in part, enable the club to trumpet the annual record season ticket sales; albeit that was 4 years ago in my case!

I'm sure that the management collective are aware of the issues you describe but what is your solution. Dates are no doubt at a premium at this time of year and the EoES said jump so we did, against our better wishes I guess. If we don't leave the EoES (no chance) or they don't really seem to want us as much as they are alleged to proclaim then this is just a fact of life running there.

• Like 1

PANTHERS SET FOR CHALLENGE

Saturday February 04, 2017
zz_action16_pet_red2.jpg

PETERBOROUGH have arranged a season-opening challenge match against SGB Premiership club Coventry.

The Bees, who have several Panthers connections in their riding and management staff, will visit the Showground on Sunday March 19 as both clubs warm up for the new league campaign.

Peterborough chief Ged Rathbone said: “I don't think we could have come up with a more exciting Challenge fixture to start the season.

“We were approached by Mick Horton a few days ago, and we jumped at the chance to entertain an SGB Premiership team - and Coventry look to be a very good one too.

“They have put together a cracking line-up in my opinion and it will be a brilliant test for our lads. It will be our supporters' first chance to catch our new-look team in action and I'm hopeful that plenty of Bees fans will make the short trip over to the Showground as well.”

http://www.speedwaygb.co/news.php?extend.31792

Well before a wheel is turned, here's potentially another bit of the margin gone :neutral:

PETERBOROUGH have pushed back an East Anglian derby clash by almost 24 hours.

The 'T Balfe Construction' Panthers' home showdown with Ipswich will now take place on Easter Monday (April 17) after initially being scheduled for the previous day.

The SGB Championship meeting will now have a 3pm start time and is followed by two classes of the first round of the British Youth Championships.

Promoter Ged Rathbone said: "We would have been without a couple of riders on the Sunday, so approached Ipswich to reschedule the meeting.

"They were happy to agree to the new date and we look forward to what will almost certainly be an exciting Easter Monday."

peterboroughpanthers.co/news

A Bank Holiday tractor convoy on the A14 :shock:

Edited by Crump99

🚜🚜🚜🚜🚜🚜🚜🚜🚜🚜🚜🚜🚜🚜🚜🚜

Up the Witches!!

Some good practice for Danny since no challenge matches for ipswich. Might just pop along to this.

Edited by baldyman

Never fails: mention Witches and Tractors and up pop Abbott and Costello!

Who's at no1, What's at no2, I Don't Know's at no3 :D

• Like 1