British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

So the 3 Grand Prix boys were on the rostrum. No shocks there then. Just a shame the other top riders in the league couldn't be arsed and the farcical situation that Poole had to use 2 reserves. Time this meeting was binned!

• Like 1

No Poole rider in that line-up.

Poole's Gordon Guasco and Garry Middleton of Hackney were non riding reserves for the meeting.

• Like 1

Not according to the averages on speedway stats.co.uk.

Tungate, Starke and Jacobs are all lower.

Ellis is also 0.01 behind Morris.

You need to look at the BSPA official averages.They are both behind Tungate and Ellis is nearly a point behind Morris.From the original line-up mdmc was correct in saying they were only above Starke in the averages.

Just to make mouths water for the old-timers, here’s the lineup we saw at Belle Vue in 1970.

Barry Briggs Swindon 13

Anders Michanek Newcastle 13

Eric Boocock Halifax 13

Ronnie Moore Wimbledon 12

Nigel Boocock Coventry 10

Ivan Mauger Belle Vue 10

Jim Airey Sheffield 9

Martin Ashby Exeter 7

Reidar Eide Wembley 7

Bernt Persson Cradley Heath 5

Ole Olsen Wolverhampton 5

Ray Wilson Leicester 5

Terry Betts Kings Lynn 4

Charlie Monk Glasgow 4

Olle Nygren West Ham 1

Hasse Holmqvist Oxford 1

Sandor Levai Newport 1

It was the highlight of the season in those days and you couldn’t wait to get your Belle Vue ticket.

Those were the days I remember them well.
  • Like 2

You need to look at the BSPA official averages.They are both behind Tungate and Ellis is nearly a point behind Morris.From the original line-up mdmc was correct in saying they were only above Starke in the averages.

And what about Bacon? Don't you like Bacon?

That's 2 riders actually as Joe Jacobs could not make it.

Regardless of that they still outscored Tungate which shows the speedway stats are more accurate even if not official. And we also all know how inaccurate 'official' is when the BSPA are involved in anything.

I don't see the point of doing a speedway stats website if it doesn't coincide with the 'official' BSPA averages.

Regardless, back to the meeting and a big well done to Eddie Kennett on his performance tonight and a shame he couldn't make it stick in the final but definitely rider of the night.

Perhaps looking for a WTC call if he continues this form next season.

And what about Bacon? Don't you like Bacon?

That's 2 riders actually as Joe Jacobs could not make it.

Regardless of that they still outscored Tungate which shows the speedway stats are more accurate even if not official. And we also all know how inaccurate 'official' is when the BSPA are involved in anything.

I don't see the point of doing a speedway stats website if it doesn't coincide with the 'official' BSPA averages.

Regardless, back to the meeting and a big well done to Eddie Kennett on his performance tonight and a shame he couldn't make it stick in the final but definitely rider of the night.

Perhaps looking for a WTC call if he continues this form next season.

http://www.speedwaygb.co/files/downloads/el16_issue_30.pdf

Bacon and Jacobs were not in the original line up. Tungate gained his average from mainly being in the main team. He had bike problems in his first 2 races tonight which affected his score

Large crowd

Terrible track

Can't remember a race that was not won by the rider leading after one bend

No passing

Waste of time

Left before the final

• Like 2

Large crowd

Terrible track

No passing

Waste of time

Left before the final

You missed the best race.

It was very similar to the PLRC at Sheffield. Very fast and almost entirely from the gate. Couple of good races towards the end.

Individual competitions have a tendency to be boring. Team speedway is always far more interesting.

• Like 2

Large crowd

Terrible track

No passing

Waste of time

Left before the final

Yep. Can't disagree with that. Bit disappointing really. Although I believe Kim Nilsson went past somebody at some point...
  • Like 2

Kind of wished I had gone since Freddie won and I did consider doing so but it sounds like my inclining that the racing would be pretty terrible, sounds about right.

Couldn't they have held this at the NSS? Isn't that what it's supposed to be for.........a NATIONAL SPEEDWAY Stadium.

Kind of wished I had gone since Freddie won and I did consider doing so but it sounds like my inclining that the racing would be pretty terrible, sounds about right.

Couldn't they have held this at the NSS? Isn't that what it's supposed to be for.........a NATIONAL SPEEDWAY Stadium.

It wasn't racing. The riders had an impossible task to overtake after the first bend.

• Like 2

It wasn't racing. The riders had an impossible task to overtake after the first bend.

Sounds about right for the state that Coventry's track has been in this season.

Rider of the night? Were you there? Got lucky with the reruns and I know you can only beat what's left in front of you, but he didn't stand out for me. Made a very good start off the unfavourable gate one in heat 10, to be fair, but that was about it.

Iversen and Lindgren the class of the field (with an honourable mention for Nilsson) -- and it tells you all you need to know about the track that Iversen, having fluffed the start in heat 19, couldn't land a blow on Tungate and Newman ahead of him. Couple of good passes by Harris, but it was a long, long night for spectating. I know it's October and cold and you have to prepare a surface that will stand up for 22 races, but that was a dreadful meeting. I was at Brandon earlier this season for a Coventry/Wolves match and seem to recall it producing excellent action.

Would be remiss of me not to mention the length of time Lindgren spent afterwards chatting to fans, signing autographs, posing for pix etc. I know it's easier when you're the winner, but he was there for such a long time and conducted himself with such grace and charm that I feel it really should be noted.

• Like 3

Agree it should be at the NSS if not how about Scunthorpe, as good as any track in the UK!

• Like 1