British Speedway Forum
Dandelion

Newcastle 2017

They're volunteers, should be thankful they turn up, their priorities can be what ever the hell they want imo

Fair point, but if they just turned up when they felt like it, (like some) things might not get done.

• Like 1

They're volunteers, should be thankful they turn up, their priorities can be what ever the hell they want imo

I'm sorry, I didn't realize they were ALL volunteers, I thought just some were... But as Ruff Diamond said, if everyone did that, there'd be some weeks where there were no one turned up... I think if someone were to offer they services for the season, even as a volunteer, they should at least turn up and help every meeting for the season they promised... Unless there was something extremely wrong, it should just be like any other job once you offer to help

Edited by Dandelion
  • Like 1

I see it a lot differently, people won't commit to volunteering every single weekend during the season but if they can be there like 3 out of 4 weeks to help that is brilliant

I see it a lot differently, people won't commit to volunteering every single weekend during the season but if they can be there like 3 out of 4 weeks to help that is brilliant

Yes, it is brilliant... Just think if people can't commit, there should be some kind of rota? Is there? Or are people just expected to turn up every week, that's a big commitment to make... But if some people do it, fair enough

Yes, it is brilliant... Just think if people can't commit, there should be some kind of rota? Is there? Or are people just expected to turn up every week, that's a big commitment to make... But if some people do it, fair enough

when there is Newcastle United home match on, its not only the volunteers/track staff that might not be able to make it,,, there could be promotion/management, sponsors and fans that couldn't be there also.

as for a 'rota',,, good luck with that one ;)

I'm sorry, I didn't realize they were ALL volunteers, I thought just some were... But as Ruff Diamond said, if everyone did that, there'd be some weeks where there were no one turned up... I think if someone were to offer they services for the season, even as a volunteer, they should at least turn up and help every meeting for the season they promised... Unless there was something extremely wrong, it should just be like any other job once you offer to help

Yes, they are all volunteers. The only person paid is the track curator for his expertise and the importance of his work. Other than that, all officials, red flaggers, pits gate personnel, dog track sheeters, marshals,etc, are volunteers. Each job needs to have a minimum number of people, but you try and get more to cover absences for sickness, holidays, occasions.etc. We are required to have 4 red flaggers, but I started this year with six as if they all turn up it is easier for everyone. We have had some who have left but we continue to look for and find new recruits to train and replace them. Don't forget it is more than just turning up for the meeting. Airfence personnel and sheeters are there during the day, return for the meeting and then have to remove the sheets and drop the airfence for the track to be ready for the dog racing for the stadium management. We are still there till after 10.00pm most meetings.

We can't get access during the week to work on the track, as the stadium hosts BAGS meeting during the day, and as the pictures are transmitted in particular to the Far East for betting, we can't be seen working there as it does not look professional when selling the rights to film. So early morning Sunday is our first chance to get the track ready for the evening meeting.

NB British Afternoon Greyhound Service

Further Edit. Forgot to mention the renumeration package. Free programme and free admission for them and a friend. Anybody interested in it come and see me at the meetings.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 4

Only a none volunteer can suggest all volunteers should commit for a full season........... or what ?

a think its a very grey area,,, some volunteer for a free ticket and, some want to help.

a think its a very grey area,,, some volunteer for a free ticket and, some want to help.

Volunteers are the salt of the earth as far as i'm concerned without them there would be no speedway free entry or not.

• Like 3

I know this might not be the right thread for this question, but does anyone have any information on how Kenni Larsen is doing these days? And whether his racing career is over because he wants it to be, or his injuries forced him to retire, thanks

I know this might not be the right thread for this question, but does anyone have any information on how Kenni Larsen is doing these days? And whether his racing career is over because he wants it to be, or his injuries forced him to retire, thanks

There was a facebook post a while back which, if I remember rightly, said that he was advised not to ride as any knock to his head could potentially have serious consequences. Otherwise he seemed to be recovering ok.

Apologies if I've got that wrong.

There was a facebook post a while back which, if I remember rightly, said that he was advised not to ride as any knock to his head could potentially have serious consequences. Otherwise he seemed to be recovering ok.

Apologies if I've got that wrong.

Thanks for the information, I was just curious to see what life was doing for him, hope he still gets involved with the speedway somewhere even if it's off track :t: Such a shame, I didn't see him ride many times, but he looked like a class act on a bike and he looked like he would be going far :(

Yes, they are all volunteers. The only person paid is the track curator for his expertise and the importance of his work. Other than that, all officials, red flaggers, pits gate personnel, dog track sheeters, marshals,etc, are volunteers. Each job needs to have a minimum number of people, but you try and get more to cover absences for sickness, holidays, occasions.etc. We are required to have 4 red flaggers, but I started this year with six as if they all turn up it is easier for everyone. We have had some who have left but we continue to look for and find new recruits to train and replace them. Don't forget it is more than just turning up for the meeting. Airfence personnel and sheeters are there during the day, return for the meeting and then have to remove the sheets and drop the airfence for the track to be ready for the dog racing for the stadium management. We are still there till after 10.00pm most meetings.

We can't get access during the week to work on the track, as the stadium hosts BAGS meeting during the day, and as the pictures are transmitted in particular to the Far East for betting, we can't be seen working there as it does not look professional when selling the rights to film. So early morning Sunday is our first chance to get the track ready for the evening meeting.

NB British Afternoon Greyhound Service

Further Edit. Forgot to mention the renumeration package. Free programme and free admission for them and a friend. Anybody interested in it come and see me at the meetings.

So the unpaid volunteers 'earn' £35 a week ( admission x2 and a programme) Perhaps that is what caused the misunderstanding.

This must be a huge cost to the promotion in addition to stadium hire, riders points and travel etc when there are so many 'friends' of volunteers getting in for free

Edited by toontrader

Would it just be cheaper to hire someone to do the sheets/red flags and make the current volunteers and their 'mates' pay to get in? Just a suggestion, I mean, the people who do the sheets could do the red flags..... And they wouldn't want to bring other people in for free... It'd be an extra few hundred quid through the turnstiles... Of course if the current volunteers don't throw a mood and stop coming..... Because they have to pay like the rest of us who don't have time to help...

Edited by Dandelion
  • Like 1

Would it just be cheaper to hire someone to do the sheets/red flags and make the current volunteers and their 'mates' pay to get in?

:shock: :shock: :shock: Crumbs!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I hope you have got a tin hat. ;):)