British Speedway Forum
Dandelion

Newcastle 2017

If you read the Thread from the start there are quite few opinions, on that very subject, on here already PolybiusAL.

Not being funny - hope this helps. :t::)

Interesting name Polybius. A Greek Historian - I think. B)

And a fictional 1980's computer arcade game, used by the US government allegedly!!!!

Anyway. The team led by two up and coming young Brits 😉 looked like it could deliver silverware but so far has failed too. All Diamonds fans when the team was announced saw that we had a very long tail end and the hope was Phillips would kick on this year. Before his injury he was showing glimpses but never really looked like he was gonna be the rider we needed (in my opinion). Our achilles has once again been our shocking away form and inconsistency by some riders away from home. We still have the chance of silverware in the Cup!!! and the pairs and PLRC so not all is lost yet, except that elusive league title, 2018 maybe😉

Edited by diamond@heart

Ben Hopwood, to me, has been the surprise of the season, he might not be the best or fastest rider, but the effort he shows and some of the passes he does make and how he defends his line, it's great to watch

Ben Hopwood, to me, has been the surprise of the season, he might not be the best or fastest rider, but the effort he shows and some of the passes he does make and how he defends his line, it's great to watch

Agree and I've been really impressed by Alfie, he's very raw but never gives up and I think he should be considered for next year. I find Ashley really frustrating, you can see the talent and determination but the scores just don't seem to come. He always has a bad first ride and it takes him a while to recover, excellent gater and so I think he should be scoring more, great to watch though.

Agree and I've been really impressed by Alfie, he's very raw but never gives up and I think he should be considered for next year. I find Ashley really frustrating, you can see the talent and determination but the scores just don't seem to come. He always has a bad first ride and it takes him a while to recover, excellent gater and so I think he should be scoring more, great to watch though.

I would definitely give Alfie a team spot next year, as long as he's partnered with a rider like Ashley, Danny Phillips and Alfie Bowtell, for example, would give us the same problems as this year!!

I love Ashley, but as a reserve... I also love when he does win, he doesn't wheelie and show off, he gets the crowd pumped up and that's great for the atmosphere, I'd definitely keep him for next year

6. Ashley Morris

7. Alfie Bowtell, (a fit) Danny Phillips???

I feel bad for Hopwood, but I feel that he will be a victim of his own success, the fact he's not a 2.00 rider may freeze him out of a team spot for next year... I hope not...

Edited by Dandelion

Unless the points limit goes up for next season I think we'd have to chose between Robert and Stevie for number one build a more strength in depth side with a good reserve imo.

Unless the points limit goes up for next season I think we'd have to chose between Robert and Stevie for number one build a more strength in depth side with a good reserve imo.

I would think there is every chance they both could be away next year.

• Like 1

Easy for me, Stevie, even if the point limit goes up, Stevie and Richie would be my top 2

Unfortunately, you could well be right

• Like 1

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised at all especially after Stevie's World Cup and pairs performances he won't have done his chances of getting rides in Poland any harm

• Like 1

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised at all especially after Stevie's World Cup and pairs performances he won't have done his chances of getting rides in Poland any harm

Hopefully it'll be like Robert this year, with Poland, and Steve can stay at Newcastle too!!

I can't see either Robert or Stevie staying, personally. I think Robert's was a two year thing from what George said at the meeting when the team was announced. I think a lot will depend on the structure of the league or leagues next year. I think we are heading for a north and south league either next year or in the not too distance future with cup competitions being between northern and southern teams so we see some form of variety.

I would love to see both Robert and Stevie back but I can't see it and if we have Stevie and Richie, won't we be in the same boat as this year, having a long tail. We must not forget the Magic Man either, I can't believe that after Newcastle shelled out money for him they are just going to let him sit on the shelf. ;)

Is it too early to start a Newcastle 2018 thread!!! :o:o :o :o:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I think we are heading for a north and south league either next year or in the not too distance future with cup competitions being between northern and southern teams so we see some form of variety.

We've almost got that this year (with the exception of Ipswich in our League and Belle Vue in the Premiership). We are more likely heading towards one league (not next year necessarily, but certainly in a few years time) , but a 'watered down' version to the one we had in 1995 & 1996. If it means bringing on the youngsters to help Team GB and British speedway in general, then it's the only option in my opinion.

Edited by Steve Park

I can't see either Robert or Stevie staying, personally. I think Robert's was a two year thing from what George said at the meeting when the team was announced. I think a lot will depend on the structure of the league or leagues next year. I think we are heading for a north and south league either next year or in the not too distance future with cup competitions being between northern and southern teams so we see some form of variety.

I would love to see both Robert and Stevie back but I can't see it and if we have Stevie and Richie, won't we be in the same boat as this year, having a long tail. We must not forget the Magic Man either, I can't believe that after Newcastle shelled out money for him they are just going to let him sit on the shelf. ;)

Is it too early to start a Newcastle 2018 thread!!! :o:o :o :o:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Neither can I, but who knows, no one expected Robert to stay last year... Every year, people say a north south league, I think we just need to wait and see

I want to see Steve and Richie, only if the team building limits increase, say to 42.5 or maybe even 45... If it stays at 40, Steve should be a big priority, with the likes of Ludvig, Rose and maybe even Kus backing him up...

Well, PL teams have already started :P

We've almost got that this year (with the exception of Ipswich in our League and Belle Vue in the Premiership). We are more likely heading towards one league (not next year necessarily, but certainly in a few years time) , but a 'watered down' version to the one we had in 1995 & 1996. If it means bringing on the youngsters to help Team GB and British speedway in general, then it's the only option in my opinion.

I think we focus too much on bringing on youth riders to help team GB and don't focus enough on making entertaining league racing so that clubs can survive and make profits... Just my opinion of course... The PL and CL should be about pure racing with the best riders in the world, and the NL, MDL, NJL and SDL should be about developing young riders...

• Like 1

Neither can I, but who knows, no one expected Robert to stay last year... Every year, people say a north south league, I think we just need to wait and see

I want to see Steve and Richie, only if the team building limits increase, say to 42.5 or maybe even 45... If it stays at 40, Steve should be a big priority, with the likes of Ludvig, Rose and maybe even Kus backing him up...

Well, PL teams have already started :P

I think we focus too much on bringing on youth riders to help team GB and don't focus enough on making entertaining league racing so that clubs can survive and make profits... Just my opinion of course... The PL and CL should be about pure racing with the best riders in the world, and the NL, MDL, NJL and SDL should be about developing young riders...

In a Utopian World you would be right - but - sadly this is not Utopia.................... :sad: :sad: :sad:

Don't want to burst your bubble Dandelion but Richie will be a shoe in on a return north of the border next season as long as he wants it.

Plenty of choice to partner Steve, or maybe Steve might fancy riding with his twin brother further north now there's a thought ;) .

Edited by Gazc

Dandelion wrote:

"i think we focus too much on bringing on youth riders to help team GB and don't focus enough on making entertaining league racing so that clubs can survive and make profits... Just my opinion of course"

Mine as well, Danders me old pal. But I think you'll find that bringing on British talent is a cloak for cutting costs...

• Like 2