British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pob

Ipswich Vs Newcastle Thurs 15 Sep Pl

With the Witches doing what they need to at Redcar last Friday evening and gaining the big 4 points there season comes down to a home /away meetings against Newcastle . With the table so close right now there are any number of permutations of who will finish in the top 6 and make the play offs .

Witches need to make sure they take the win and 3 points Thursday night , it don't matter if Newcastle claim a losing point . Don't normally predict the score but i'm going to take a shot at it this time and 50-40 win for the Witches .

Below was taken off the Witches website

The 'Tru7.com' Witches face the Newcastle Diamonds on Thursday at Foxhall in their final home Premier League meeting (7.30pm).

There is huge importance on the meeting for the Witches, who must win to keep their play-off hopes alive when they visit the Diamonds on Sunday for the final meeting of the league season. A strong second half to the season has seen the Witches rise to sixth in the table (as things stand) with two to race and there are many permutations to how the season could end depending on the results of others but the Suffolk side can only look after themselves and get three points on Thursday. With play-off rivals in action before Thursday's meeting one win could well be enough to seal a play-off spot for the Suffolk side.

Ritchie Hawkins' side are at full strength as Nico Covatti comes back into the team after missing the away win at Redcar last time out.

The visitors sit in third position in the table with a play-off place confirmed but they will be keen to finish as high as possible and build momentum ahead of the end of season drama. The away side will be without Robert Lambert due to an international commitment and a familiar face will step in for the young Brit as Lewis Kerr guests for the Diamonds. Britain's number four Steve Worrall rides at five.

The last time the two sides met at Foxhall the Diamonds took a 49-43 win in last season's Premier League.

Team Manager Ritchie Hawkins believes a win on Thursday could be enough to seal a play-off spot.

"The plan is to get the win on Thursday and carry on our good home form and then I would hope that will be enough to get us into the play-offs now," said Hawkins. "I think if we win on Thursday we will finish fifth and face Edinburgh in the play-offs, that would be my prediction but you never know what is going to happen."

Hawkins says the win at Redcar was the best of the season but knows it will be in vein if they fail to beat the Diamonds.

"We're in brilliant form and we've hit a good run where it could turn out that we've found our form at the perfect time with another win on Thursday. The performance at Redcar was our best of the season in every aspect and it's looking very good for us at the moment but we need to make sure we get the win on Thursday."

The boss says Newcastle will be the toughest test the Witches have faced at Foxhall for some time but is not worried about the opposition.

"It will be our biggest test in a long while but we can't spend too much time thinking about having a good run in the play-offs, we've got to get there first by winning on Thursday. It's another pressure meeting but with the form we are in, we are not worried about Newcastle coming in good form either. It's in our own hands now."

The former skipper is hoping the Foxhall faithful continue to give the riders all their support during the meeting.

"We've been winning and the atmosphere has been a lot better at Ipswich, the crowd should increase hopefully and everyone wants to come and see a winning team. Our last meeting at home is now a massive meeting and hopefully the crowd will keep on coming and supporting us."

Our KIDS GO FREE promotion continues for this meeting as we battle for a place in the play-offs. Prior to the meeting fans will have the chance to meet Joe Jacobs and Danyon Hume who will be up by the turnstiles inside the stadium with their bikes for fans to have photos with. Joe and Danyon will be signing autographs from 6.45pm until around 7.10pm

Ipswich 'Tru7.com' Witches:

1. Danny King © 9.38

2. James Sarjeant 5.45

3. Nico Covatti 7.32

4. Morten Risager 6.88

5. Ben Barker 7.56

6. Joe Jacobs 4.78

7. Danyon Hume 3.00

Team Manager: Ritchie Hawkins

Newcastle ‘Sapphire Engineering’ Diamonds:

1. Steve Worrall 8.98

2. Victor Palovaara 5.49

3. Matej Kus 6.22

4. Ludvig Lindgren © 7.37

5. Lewis Kerr (g) 5.67

6. Ashley Morris 4.37

7. Danny Phillips 3.00

Team Manager: George English

We should have enough to pick up the win we need but could be a tight one.

Its a shame Lambert isnt there but at least it gives us a chance to give Lewi Kerr a massif warm welcome back.

Yes no Lambert shame but will be good to see Kerr back .

I'll just be happy with any kind of win and 3 points !!

I think the loss of Lambert is huge. Lindgren and Worrall will prove tough opponents though

Morris should go well but our reserves are flying. I can see us winning by at least 10

Edited by Gavan

I think the loss of Lambert is huge. Lindgren and Worrall will prove tough opponents though

Morris should go well but our reserves are flying. I can see us winning by at least 10

Agree but you have to remember that Newcastle have also only failed to hit 40 points once this season at our perennial bogey track. Must win for Ipswich as you will get nothing at Brough in the return fixture.

So, are we going to see you on the Heath this Thursday Gavan? I am sure that you could bring your own cocktail sausage and a novelty balloon or two to join in with the Massif and obviously your fancy dress goes without asking...

• Like 1

I think ipswich will win this by 16 to 20

Sorry just can't see that margin at all even without Lambert but everyone entitled to their opinion

Well I can see it even if you can't

Go for it :party: - my prediction is a 6 - 10 points victory for the Wtiches and a 10 - 16 points victory for the Diamonds on Sunday.

Potential banana skin this and I will take any sort of win. Shame about Lambert as He has yet to grace us with his presence on the track at Foxhall.

• Like 1

Newcastle will looking for 4pts from this one to overhaul Glasgow for the silver medal, hopefully 'the kermitmaker' will be on a mission with something to prove ;)

if we dont take the 4pts, it'll just mean more speedway for us to enjoy :)

Newcastle will looking for 4pts from this one to overhaul Glasgow for the silver medal, hopefully 'the kermitmaker' will be on a mission with something to prove ;)

if we dont take the 4pts, it'll just mean more speedway for us to enjoy :)

As with Rene last night he has close ties to Newcastle and will be giving 100%. He is also in decent form currently at the moment and will no doubt be wanting to prove a point after getting released earlier in the season. Not a chance in hell we will get beat by 16 - 20 points mind and although it will be a tough match, I never discount anything from this team especially if they are all on form which has been pretty regular so far this season.

• Like 1