British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Poole Sign Lindback

I'm pretty sure this is entirely to do with the change in heat formats.

If you take the top 8 riders from 2013:

Tai Woffinden - 9.20
Niels Kristian Iversen - 9.12
Darcy Ward - 9.07
Fredrik Lindgren- 8.94
Matej Zagar - 8.64
Kenneth Bjerre - 8.45
Hans Andersen - 8.34
Bjarne Pedersen - 8.12

You get an average of 8.74.

If you take the top 8 riders from 2016:

Jason Doyle - 9.81
Niels Kristian Iversen - 8.99
Andreas Jonsson - 8.78
Chris Holder - 8.00
Krzystof Kasprzak - 7.91
Matej Zagar - 7.55
Fredrik Lindgren - 7.54
Sam Masters - 7.46

You get an average of 8.26.

So if in 2013 the average of the top 8 riders was 8.74 and a GP rider was assessed at 8.00, that suggested that a GP rider was assessed to be approximately 0.74pts off of the top 8 average. If you apply that same formula to 2016 averages it suggests that a GP rider should be assessed at approximately 7.52pts.

So it's clear that based on a like for like approach, a GP rider should be assessed nearer to 7.5pts than the old 8pts, which makes a 7pt assessed average just as reasonable as a 8pt assessed average, as in reality it should be in the middle of 7 and 8.

Basically, a 7pt assessed average is just as fair as an 8pt assessed average. Neither of them are correct.

Edited by BurntFaceMan

It's false because he is one of the best riders in the world, a x2 World Champion and is currently over achieving his average by 1.50 points per meeting. Did you honestly expect Tai to average 7.03??? Personally I think Woffy is the best rider in the world (perhaps not on form right now, but bigger picture and all that...) and he should be able to post a 9.00+ average if actually trying in the weakened UK Elite League.

It's people allowing this kind of BS, including all the times Poole have done it, that make this sport a joke. Which is a real shame, because it's actually quite good.

What a load of nonsense.

May as well say, Hans Andersen's average is false, he's far too close to Chris Holder, nowhere near as good, let's move him to 6.50. Oh dear, Lindback doesn't fit.

Woffinden's average was 7.03, because that was the average he obtained over a full season. End of story.

Whilst I think it's wrong that Lindback has been given a 7.00, what's done is done, personally I'm just looking forward to the play-offs and some exciting speedway now.

I'm pretty sure this is entirely to do with the change in heat formats.

If you take the top 8 riders from 2013:

Tai Woffinden - 9.20

Niels Kristian Iversen - 9.12

Darcy Ward - 9.07

Fredrik Lindgren- 8.94

Matej Zagar - 8.64

Kenneth Bjerre - 8.45

Hans Andersen - 8.34

Bjarne Pedersen - 8.12

You get an average of 8.74.

If you take the top 8 riders from 2016:

Jason Doyle - 9.81

Niels Kristian Iversen - 8.99

Andreas Jonsson - 8.78

Chris Holder - 8.00

Krzystof Kasprzak - 7.91

Matej Zagar - 7.55

Fredrik Lindgren - 7.54

Sam Masters - 7.46

You get an average of 8.26.

So if in 2013 the average of the top 8 riders was 8.74 and a GP rider was assessed at 8.00, that suggested that a GP rider was assessed to be approximately 0.74pts off of the top 8 average. If you apply that same formula to 2016 averages it suggests that a GP rider should be assessed at approximately 7.52pts.

So it's clear that based on a like for like approach, a GP rider should be assessed nearer to 7.5pts than the old 8pts, which makes a 7pt assessed average just as reasonable as a 8pt assessed average, as in reality it should be in the middle of 7 and 8.

Basically, a 7pt assessed average is just as fair as an 8pt assessed average. Neither of them are correct.

No, what you have shown is he should have been assessed at 7.5, based upon your own logic.

No, what you have shown is he should have been assessed at 7.5, based upon your own logic.

Exactly, so just like I said, it's incorrect for him to be assessed as either 7pts or 8pts.

Also, if you go further and take the top 8 2012 averages into account:

Darcy Ward - 9.76

Chris Holder - 9.67

Niels Kristian Iversen - 8.84

Tai Woffinden - 8.80

Fredrik Lindgren - 8.68

Peter Karlsson - 8.61

Kryzystof Kasprzak - 8.39

Hans Andersen - 8.18

You get an average of 8.86, which suggests a GP rider should be assessed at 0.86 pts less than a top 8 Elite League rider. If you were to apply that rule to the 2016 Elite League top 8 it would suggest a GP rider should now be assessed at 7.4 pts.

Basically, it is clear that with our current league format 8 pts is too high to assess a GP rider as, however 7 is too low. But based on the averages from 2012 and 2013 (just before we introduced the FTR system) a GP rider coming into the league (in it's current state) should receive assessed average closer to 7 pts than 8 pts.

So if you want to go with a nice round number, 7 pts is statistically a more appropriate assessed average than 8pts in the current format.

Edited by BurntFaceMan

@BWitcher So you think allowing the world's best speedway rider into a weakened league on a ludicrously low average, which he is blowing out of the water, is fine? I am not saying it is outside of the rules, I'm just calling it BS. Simply re-assess Woffy to a more realistic 8.50 (I could just about live with an 8.00). I wouldn't be against seeing Lindback get assessed as an 8.00 either.

@BWitcher So you think allowing the world's best speedway rider into a weakened league on a ludicrously low average, which he is blowing out of the water, is fine? I am not saying it is outside of the rules, I'm just calling it BS. Simply re-assess Woffy to a more realistic 8.50 (I could just about live with an 8.00). I wouldn't be against seeing Lindback get assessed as an 8.00 either.

That was his average, as earned on track. It's very simple and neither is it BS.

It's when you get into the world of assessing and re-assessing that things become BS.

• Like 2

Any time Poole have signed a rider on a false average we get murdered for it - "he wasn't trying for half a season" and "deliberate average manipulation by XXX".

As per speedway-stats.co.uk Tai's UK averages have been as follows:

2011 Tai Woffinden - 8.38

2012 Tai Woffinden - 8.76

2013 Tai Woffinden - 9.25

2014 Tai Woffiden - 7.06

2016 Tai Woffinden - 8.50 (five matches only)

Spot the odd one out!?? Regardless of being legal, it stinks. Use common-sense and re-assess.

That was his average, as earned on track. It's very simple and neither is it BS.

It's when you get into the world of assessing and re-assessing that things become BS.

Okay - I get where you are coming from - the use of assessment. We shall have to agree to disagree on this point. Yes it can be abused, but there are cases when common sense needs to prevail.

Nice of Hans to give Antonio his equipment, Van, tools etc helping as much as he can and wishing the pirates well, might even see him cheering us on.

• Like 2

Could I ask someone in the know this, there is a possibility that Hans Anderson will ride in the European meeting tomorrow evening if he does ride how will this effect the signing of Linback?

Could I ask someone in the know this, there is a possibility that Hans Anderson will ride in the European meeting tomorrow evening if he does ride how will this effect the signing of Linback?

He has withdrawn as still unfit to ride.

Thing with Woffinden was, he sulked through the 2014 season making no effort whatsoever. It was nothing to do with lack of ability but the fact he didn't want to ride here after signing a contract. It was his way of making a point to the Wolves management.

His excuse was that he was tired.

• Like 1

Lindback's last average was 4.15 at Belle Vue!

Lindback's last average was 4.15 at Belle Vue!

It would have been had he rode one more meeting..

Interesting you chose to reply to my post rather than the one where SS clearly broke forum rules :rolleyes:

Oh well - birds of a feather and all that.

Now you do sound very sad...

As per speedway-stats.co.uk Tai's UK averages have been as follows:

2011 Tai Woffinden - 8.38

2012 Tai Woffinden - 8.76

2013 Tai Woffinden - 9.25

2014 Tai Woffiden - 7.06

2016 Tai Woffinden - 8.50 (five matches only)

Spot the odd one out!?? Regardless of being legal, it stinks. Use common-sense and re-assess.

With Tai being the World Champion in 2013 & racing GP's Sat, Poland Sun, EL Mon, Sweden Tue + all his Monster & foreign clubs commitments, he, also, had the extra media commitments through being World Champion & he had admitted that it eventually took too much out of him & he needed a break. He was riding at possibly 85-90%, hence his low average.

Steve Shovlar, on 16 Sept 2016 - 3:12 PM, said:

Thing with Woffinden was, he sulked through the 2014 season making no effort whatsoever. It was nothing to do with lack of ability but the fact he didn't want to ride here after signing a contract. It was his way of making a point to the Wolves management.

His excuse was that he was tired.

If NONE of the other clubs in the Play Offs promotions have any problem with the signing of Woffinden & Lindback lets just get on with it ! ..I am sure if anything wrong had been done the other clubs would be all over it like a rash .. In my opinion Woffy makes Wolfs a lot stronger ..but I think there is not a lot in it regarding Lindback ..... Just one question WHO will start the " Cheats Never Prosper thread " ? ( there is not a prize )

Leave him alone mate, you will never please him.