British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
StevePark

Newcastle Vs Ipswich Pl Sun 18 Sept 6.30pm

In the case of poster Hawk127, you sound as if you have issues to suit your cause. All teams get problems getting guests, and when your bottom end riders, who are in form, dip out from illness or injury, you aren't going to find the greatest replacements at the drop of a hat. I know that posters on here are always better than their management, but even YOU couldn't have put a better team out in such short notice. with who was available.

Not a bad meeting with good racing on our usual fit for racing track, followed by another good meeting between the local Gems against the Halifax Dukes at NJL level. A good night all round.

I have no cause to suit so you are way off the point and I was merely making observations. You are right about team selection but that is not the point I was making. If I ran my business the way some people run clubs and treat the income stream which includes the majority of people who voice an opinion on this forum, I would soon go bust. When I mentioned pride that was reference to JL and turning up for meetings, tackling tracks and wanting to be at the top of you game all the time and recognising the role of the paying punter in the overall scheme of things Instead in today's version, no one seems bothered and when you see that the GP riders pick when and where they want to ride and will appear at stadia mainly to suit their own agenda is any wonder that this attitude prevails at grass roots level, which is league speedway as it stands. Plenty of riders could not give two figs about the supporter and while a few do, it is not enough to endear people to the sport any longer. I guess that if people are happy with the way things are that is OK, but it is just a sad indictment of how low speedway has fallen and why so many former appreciative supporters of this excellent form of racing have walked away and are unlikely to return.

• Like 1

Those mainly young riders you mentioned in the development leagues, I would like to see them thrown in at the deep end. It's the only sensible way of developing a young rider and moving their progress along.

I do except that if British speedway took that course of action then for a couple of years the racing may be pants, but at least the young lads will gain experience. Of course some will fall by the wayside but some will improve, but more importantly they will all get the experience in the top leagues,primarily the premier league, but given the right support and guidance they can improve.

I also believe in giving younger riders opportunities to test their skills against 'better' riders. I don't believe in the dramatic sink or swim, as that will do more harm than good. An occasional trip in races at a higher level, gives them feedback as to how they coped and how they have developed.

I have no cause to suit so you are way off the point and I was merely making observations. You are right about team selection but that is not the point I was making. If I ran my business the way some people run clubs and treat the income stream which includes the majority of people who voice an opinion on this forum, I would soon go bust. When I mentioned pride that was reference to JL and turning up for meetings, tackling tracks and wanting to be at the top of you game all the time and recognising the role of the paying punter in the overall scheme of things Instead in today's version, no one seems bothered and when you see that the GP riders pick when and where they want to ride and will appear at stadia mainly to suit their own agenda is any wonder that this attitude prevails at grass roots level, which is league speedway as it stands. Plenty of riders could not give two figs about the supporter and while a few do, it is not enough to endear people to the sport any longer. I guess that if people are happy with the way things are that is OK, but it is just a sad indictment of how low speedway has fallen and why so many former appreciative supporters of this excellent form of racing have walked away and are unlikely to return.

I would refer you to posts #29 #30 and #57 for a touch of reality.

• Like 1

The 'big thing' to get right re Brit youngsters next year is to ensure the likes of Clegg Jacobs Morris Branford Morley are not jettisoned due to their averages being seen as 'too high' whilst foreign riders fill reserve berths....

Edited by dontforgetthefueltapsbruv
  • Like 4

The 'big thing' to get right re Brit youngsters next year is to ensure the likes of Clegg Jacobs Morris Branford Morley are not jettisoned due to their averages being seen as 'too high' whilst foreign riders fill reserve berths....

Same with Carr and Perry at Berwick as well, these riders have had good years and don't deserve to be punished because of it, you should get somewhere between 30-35 points for your top 5 and then around 8.5 points for your reserves which have to both be British, meaning that all of these riders can stay at reserve plus more
  • Like 2

This year Ashley Morris was unable to find as spot due to his ave being too high... like Bruv says could happen to a few more. 3pointer at 7...4 pointer at 6?

• Like 3

I would refer you to posts #29 #30 and #57 for a touch of reality.

No touch of reality needed. It is what is, screwing the paying punter and dress it up with whatever excuses, availability of riders or otherwise the reality is that you pay your money and take a chance and no recourse to those who serve up a sub standard product.. My argument is not with the riders but those who run the sport eho cut corners to the cost of the supporter and no one else. I guess we have opposing views so best leave it at that and wish both teams all the best in the play offs

No touch of reality needed. It is what is, screwing the paying punter and dress it up with whatever excuses, availability of riders or otherwise the reality is that you pay your money and take a chance and no recourse to those who serve up a sub standard product.. My argument is not with the riders but those who run the sport eho cut corners to the cost of the supporter and no one else. I guess we have opposing views so best leave it at that and wish both teams all the best in the play offs

I bet you're the life and soul at a party..... wink
  • Like 1

So what was/is the alternative?

So what was/is the alternative?

Appreciate the question but probably some wise contributors in the thread in the Elite section under the heading 'Anyone else considering walking away from Speedway' can answer this for you as this is now more of general debatable point rather than a specific team one.

Appreciate the question but probably some wise contributors in the thread in the Elite section under the heading 'Anyone else considering walking away from Speedway' can answer this for you as this is now more of general debatable point rather than a specific team one.

Steve asked for your alternative, but after slagging the real problems promotions have for trying to get guests at short notice, even YOU failed to try and suggest doing it better.

• Like 1

But you don't have an answer.... Let's move swiftly on then, in that case....

• Like 2