British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
StevePark

Rye House V Newcastle Koc Semi 1st Leg

Lots of delays tonight for various reasons,,but in between some very good racing,,it was always going to be a close run thing here ,and it now looks like Newcastle will likely progress to the final .,,Some good performances from Robbo,,Heeps and Morley ,and Busk Jacobson and the rest had their moments..Stand out rider was Newcastle,s Steve Worrall,,with good back up from Morris and Palovaaraa,,, Barker was a big let down to himself and Newcastle ...Roll on next season,and hoping the improvements at the track start to take shape..What league we will be in is anyones guess at the moment,personally i hope Rye stays in the Premier,,i do not think there would be the level of support needed for the Elite League...

• Like 1

Enjoyed our trip to Rye, 280 mile round trip well worth it and look forward to a few visits next year👍🏼.

Credit to the promo and Rye staff for all their hard work on the stadium. Racing was good other than Barker being Desperate.

Nice to see a good crowd too🏁🏁

I think I was the first to suggest him on here when Rose got injured very unfortunate to be left out of Panthers team and I am pleased for him I knew he wouldn't let you down even though some of the Diamonds supporters had there doubts. and he would be one of the first riders I would sign for Panthers next season if it was up to me but I suspect Diamonds will want to hang on to him now.

To be fare there wasn't a lot of options out there . I had every faith in Ash he just needs to be at a team for a season . A must for Newcastle next season
  • Like 2

RYE HOUSE PRESS RELEASE

::::::::::::

ROCKETS’ CUP HALF FULL

The BMR Rockets will take a 4 point advantage to Newcastle for tonight’s second leg after edging the Diamonds 47-43 in the home round of their Premier League Knock-Out Cup Semi-Final tie at Rye House on Saturday night.

A tense, tight affair was typified by no less than nine 3-3 results, and although the Rockets provided the winner in the first four races, a 4-2 from Ben Morley and Leigh Lanham in Heat 2 was the only advantage they could gain in a slender 16-14 margin.

Another 4-2 – this time from guest No.1 Nikolaj Busk Jakobsen and Kasper Lykke over Steve Worrall – doubled their lead, but with the Byker side building momentum with four consecutine race wins, the teams were level after Heat 10. Worrall and Morris took a 5-1 over the hard-chasing Cameron Heeps in Heat 9, and the Diamonds could easily have moved four points ahead as Morris – in again, this time for early knee injury victim Ludvig Lindgren – and Matej Kus led NBJ and Lykke only for the Czech to blow his engine on the third lap.

The Rockets made the most of their get-out-of-jail opportunity, with former Newcastle star Stuart Robson and Lanham putting them back in front with a 4-2 over Victor Palovaara and Ben Barker in the very next race, and then Heeps and Morley slamming in a 5-1 over Morris and Kus in Heat 12 to take the score to 39-33.

It took four attempts to complete the appropriately titled Heat 13. A first re-run was ordered after Robson went down as the first bend meat in a Barker-Worrall sandwich, before an unsatisfactory start was ruled the next time out. When the race DID finally get going, Robson and Barker – clearly agitated at being unable to make mechanical amendments in-between times - provided a master class in passing, slipping past each other on numerous occasions before the Newcastle guest clipped his adversary when blasting through on the third bend of lap two. Both riders hit the deck, with Barker consequently excluded.

The final re-run was no less thrilling, with NBJ and Robson briefly staking a claim for a 5-1 before Worrall found a means to work his way past both in turn. The same rider took Heat 15, with Palovaara tucked in behind Robson for third as Newcastle closed out with a 4-2 to edge closer at 47-43.

The Rockets’ top scorer with 11+1, Robson felt afterwards that, “We really had to fight for every single one of our points tonight. The Diamonds are a good team; we knew that they would go well around here, and they didn’t prove us wrong.

“But we did well and we got the win. We had a good guest in Nikolaj (Busk Jakobsen), which helped us a lot – and everyone chipped in and really played their part. So, yes, it was a tough win – but a win’s a win.”

Of his battle with Ben Barker in Heat 15, the Mackem continued, “It was a bit of hard racing, with no malice in there. I’ve known Ben for a long time: I know he’s a hard rider, and he knows I’m one as well. We were both fair with each other, and when he came into that third bend and took me there was nothing really he could do.

“I took a little bit of a scrape on my elbow, and another one on the top of my leg, but otherwise I’m OK. It was a good victory, and that’s all that matters really.”

The Rockets know that they face a tough encounter in the return, but will have been preceded into town by Sheffield, who shocked the Diamonds with their aggregate success in the previous Sunday’s Premier League Championship Play-Off, and need to take the same optimistic attitude up to the North East. “We’ve got to go there to win. Newcastle are especially strong around their home track, but Sheffield proved it can be done. We’ll be going there with the belief that we can do the same.”

BMR Rockets:

Stuart Robson 11+1 (5 rides), Nikolaj Busk Jakobsen (guest) 9+1 (5), Cameron Heeps 8+1 (4), Ben Morley 6+2 (4), Kasper Lykke 5 (4), Leigh Lanham 4+2 (4), Robert Branford 4 (4)

Newcastle:

Steve Worrall 13 (5 rides), Ashley Morris 11+1 (6), Victor Palovaara 10+1 (5), Matej Kus 5 (4), Ben Barker (guest) 2 (4), Ludvig Lindgren 1+1 (2), Danny Phillips 1+1 (4)

GRAND FINAL HEARTBREAK FOR KENNETT

It proved the best – and worst of nights – for Edward Kennett in the Elite League Riders’ Championship at Coventry as the Rye House No.1 finished fourth after dominating the main programme.

Riding in his alter-ego as a Lakeside Hammer, Kennett powered through the regular 20 heat section, dropping his only point to Robert Lambert, to lead the qualifiers for the Grand Final, only to come unstuck when he was left at the rear of the field in that winner-takes-all decider.

Wolverhampton’s Freddie Lindgren took the crown – his second, after earlier success in 2010 – ahead of Chris Harris and Kim Nilsson, with Kennett left in fourth place after what was otherwise a fantastic performance.

ELITE LEAGUE RIDERS’ CHAMPIONSHIP, Coventry

QUALIFYING SCORES (After 20 Heats): Edward Kennett 14, Freddie Lindgren 12, Niels-Kristian Iversen 11, Kim Nilsson 10, Chris Harris 9, Danny King 8, Kyle Newman 8, Robert Lambert 8, Paul Starke 7, Nick Morris 6, Patrick Hougaard 6, Adam Ellis 5, Scott Nicholls 5, Sam Masters 5, Rohan Tungate 4, Tom Bacon 2, Conor Dwyer 0 (res)

SEMI-FINAL: Iversen, Harris, Nilsson, King

FINAL: Lindgren, Iversen Harris, Kennett

There is no way in this world that the Rockets will be in the final. I expect a Newcastle win by 24-26 points today

Edited by Shads
  • Like 2

Yours probably right but until I see the finish scoreline I am living in hope that I will be at Rye House watching them beat Glasgow in the final ! - I am forever an optimist

Lots of delays tonight for various reasons,,but in between some very good racing,,it was always going to be a close run thing here ,and it now looks like Newcastle will likely progress to the final .,,Some good performances from Robbo,,Heeps and Morley ,and Busk Jacobson and the rest had their moments..Stand out rider was Newcastle,s Steve Worrall,,with good back up from Morris and Palovaaraa,,, Barker was a big let down to himself and Newcastle ...Roll on next season,and hoping the improvements at the track start to take shape..What league we will be in is anyones guess at the moment,personally i hope Rye stays in the Premier,,i do not think there would be the level of support needed for the Elite League...

Barker had every right to be annoyed!!!! When heat 13 was stopped for an unsatisfactory start the 2nd time he returned to the pits gate as his throttle was sticking and he needed it to be attended to. YOUR pits marshall refused to open the pit gate as the ref had put two minutes on. Rules state a rider can't return into the pits (despite three of them doing that after the 1st stoppage) but a rider is allowed to receive mechanical assistance ON the track, and Ben was prevented from doing so by your pit marshall. Result his throttle stuck open in the rerun as he went inside Robbo and he brought him off !

• Like 1

Barker had every right to be annoyed!!!! When heat 13 was stopped for an unsatisfactory start the 2nd time he returned to the pits gate as his throttle was sticking and he needed it to be attended to. YOUR pits marshall refused to open the pit gate as the ref had put two minutes on. Rules state a rider can't return into the pits (despite three of them doing that after the 1st stoppage) but a rider is allowed to receive mechanical assistance ON the track, and Ben was prevented from doing so by your pit marshall. Result his throttle stuck open in the rerun as he went inside Robbo and he brought him off !

Throttle stuck open...........really ????

• Like 2

Throttle stuck open...........really ????

The blokes an idiot, going to hurt someone soon.

• Like 1

Look, we've all had a good giggle at Barker, but what if his throttle was really stuck open. Don't crucify the bloke unless you're 100% sure.

• Like 3

I still think he was more wound up than his throttle....

Looks like Morley is turning into a barrie evans type rider, top NL rider but never make it in the pl. its good to see Branford progressing though

Looks like Morley is turning into a barrie evans type rider, top NL rider but never make it in the pl. its good to see Branford progressing though

Nice bit of encouragement thanks??.

Never made it ! His scoring at home has been the reason Rye have got where they have this season.

Yes he does struggle away but the PL is far too strong and guys at his level need encouragement.

Ashley Morris is in the same position and struggles a lot but they are making a breakthrough but slower than some expect.

• Like 2