British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
NickRushbrook

Lakeside 2017

So long as Lakeside continue to run, be it outside the top tier I don't see it as sad news at all, quite the opposite in fact.

Running at a lower level would make far more sense in tying up the training school and progression to league speedway.

I would love a return to local derbies with Rye and Ipswich, I would miss AJ but wouldn't miss some of the other "stars" who are only interesting in racing when it suits them.

I watch non league football, and there is nothing wrong with the grass roots stuff, it's the same with speedway.

spot on

love watching premier league racing at Ipswich and would hate for us to move up

Very sad, I'm hearing it with be NL only at Purfleet next year. Better than nothing tho I suppose.

Edited by RPNYC

Anyone who has a pop at our predicament as at least one individual already has is a complete lowlife toss stain.

Happy to have it out in person as well should they wish.

Bad news for the club and fans but this may not spell the end.

Perhaps a good time to press the 'reset' button anyway.

I wouldn't rise to it mate.

Don't belittle the NL as better than nothing, Give it time & over the coarse of a season watch young riders grow & develop. It can be just as good, just a little slower.

• Like 4

Personally I think top flight tracks should have some spectator facilities (like seats!).. In this respect they are no loss. This is 2016....surely its not an unrealistic expectation in this day and age is it?

Edited by Mike.Butler
  • Like 1

Presumably they will run PL or NL. I can understand it around the transport thing, that part of the M25 is a nightmare on a Friday, it's definitely easier on a Saturday or Sunday.

Can't see how that can happen, as the EL & PL AGM's are combined and take place over the next three days, so if they can't run EL because of the date of the AGM, they're not running PL either......So it looks as though NL is the only option.

Unless, of course, they're given an extension on the date to confirm their intention to run. This has happened before, with Plymouth I believe

Edited by womble53

Sorry to hear Lakeside are not going to be in the EL next year but if it is NL give it a go. Plenty of fans were surprised at how much they enjoyed NL at the NSS this year.

the promotion must have known this before the agm so unless

they are playing a game the rest of the clubs must have refused

an extension of the rule if so then why? as surely more the merrier

in the elite league . :nono:

BELIEVE that Lakeside have put their EL licence on ice for three years in the hope that a new facility at their site may become available.

Running Friday nights has proved a nightmare with the Dartford tunnel/bridge just a bottleneck. NL would be Saturday evenings/Sunday afternoons.

Also rider costs. Speedway Star will be doing a feature shortly about this shortly. In the EL it is not uncommon for a top rider to be on a £2000 guarantee, plus van, plus flights, plus mechanics and accommodation.

One track even had a call from a mechanic asking to talk about HIS deal for 2017.

• Like 2

BELIEVE that Lakeside have put their EL licence on ice for three years in the hope that a new facility at their site may become available.

Running Friday nights has proved a nightmare with the Dartford tunnel/bridge just a bottleneck. NL would be Saturday evenings/Sunday afternoons.

Also rider costs. Speedway Star will be doing a feature shortly about this shortly. In the EL it is not uncommon for a top rider to be on a £2000 guarantee, plus van, plus flights, plus mechanics and accommodation.

One track even had a call from a mechanic asking to talk about HIS deal for 2017.

I know of at least two mechanics who are paid on a retainer by clubs so this isn't unusual.