British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Cliffeboy

Somerset V Ipswich 7.10.16

So we move on to the rip offs and table toppers Somerset take on Ipswich to see who can progress to the final and be crowned "League Champs". The Rebels finished 20 points clear of the Witches over the season, but like the Aces last night must face a team that has hit top form over the last five or six weeks, and face them with a weakened team.

Interesting comments by Pearson about the team that finishes top should be awarded the title of top team, and have the silly k o tournament afterwards for the teams that basically achieved zip.

Sorry definitely have no time for the rip offs and also don't believe that Speedway will die a horrible death if we do away with them. If Ippo get past us and win the thing they will be Champs, ridiculous . By the way this is not a dig at Ipswich or their supporters just a personal view.

• Like 2

On the flip side, ipswich were basically out of everything after only a handful of meetings. If we hadn't had the smallest of chances for the next 4 months or so, I'm sure the crowd level could have seriously put our future in the balance. Some fans need something to turn up for, not just because it's speedway.

• Like 2

On the flip side, ipswich were basically out of everything after only a handful of meetings. If we hadn't had the smallest of chances for the next 4 months or so, I'm sure the crowd level could have seriously put our future in the balance. Some fans need something to turn up for, not just because it's speedway.

I think this reason is used often to protect the rip offs by frightening people into thinking attendances will drop into the toilet if the rip offs are stopped. I honestly do not believe any team which has finished top welcomes the idea of a knock out tournament to decide who are the Champs. Can you honestly say you would be feeling good about this if our respective situations were reversed, doubtful. It is what it is this season bit I would love it if it was changed next season. Edited by Cliffeboy
  • Like 1

Changed back to the old way? Winner is winner?. It's not as if it's worth anything either way. Until the league is sponsored and you actually get something for winning I'm not bothered if there are play offs or not. Our crowd did look a bit better in our first play off meeting though.

So we move on to the rip offs and table toppers Somerset take on Ipswich to see who can progress to the final and be crowned "League Champs". The Rebels finished 20 points clear of the Witches over the season, but like the Aces last night must face a team that has hit top form over the last five or six weeks, and face them with a weakened team.

Interesting comments by Pearson about the team that finishes top should be awarded the title of top team, and have the silly k o tournament afterwards for the teams that basically achieved zip.

Sorry definitely have no time for the rip offs and also don't believe that Speedway will die a horrible death if we do away with them. If Ippo get past us and win the thing they will be Champs, ridiculous . By the way this is not a dig at Ipswich or their supporters just a personal view.

You weren't expressing this view in 2014 or 2015 when Somerset did not top the table, but were involved in the Play Offs :oops:

• Like 5

You weren't expressing this view in 2014 or 2015 when Somerset did not top the table, but were involved in the Play Offs :oops:

Maybe, but these are my thoughts now. I will always support my team wherever we finish. I am just offering an opinion that it might change next year . If any team finished top next year they should be Champs , the points difference between the Rebels and Witches I believe really shows what a bad idea it is. I hope we can pull it off because we have been the top team right from the start , the same 7 and not fancied by anyone.

No need to be so worried Cliffeboy - your team still starts heavy favourites for this tie even given your recent injury woes and the Witches resurgence.

Could/should be quite a tight contest overall.

If the Witches get within 12 I will be chuffed.Anything under 20 gives us a chance albeit a slim one.

• Like 1

No need to be so worried Cliffeboy - your team still starts heavy favourites for this tie even given your recent injury woes and the Witches resurgence.

Could/should be quite a tight contest overall.

If the Witches get within 12 I will be chuffed.Anything under 20 gives us a chance albeit a slim one.

How do you work out that Somerset are 'heavy favourites'? This is going to be very tight. Probably tighter at the OTA than it will be at Foxhall.

As I posted on another thread, Ipswich have hit form just at the right time. And the Rebels have been hit by an injury to a vital member of the team and another has lost a bit of form.

In my opinion this evens the whole contest out.

As ever, one thing is for certain, the racing tonight will be brilliant.

• Like 2

I did say heavy favourites for this tie (perhaps I shouldve put this leg) and should be tight overall....

I stick by that.

Much closer than you wouldve thought a month ago though.

Edited by dontforgetthefueltapsbruv
  • Like 1

In the past both home tracks have been heavily disliked by the other side, however that has changed in the last couple of seasons with the Rebels doing well at Foxhall in both 2015 and this year.

I do believe it will be close/closer over the 2 legs with the recent resurgence of the Witches but our dislike of the OTA still remains in evidence.

I'm hoping to keep it close enough from the first leg to be a real battle in Ipswich next Thursday and not like the Elite playoff final where one home advantage was massively bigger than the other.

And for those detractors of the playoffs, I'm sure I would feel the same if my team had finished top but we have all known for some time that they exist and how it works.

So with that in mind, had it not been for them the Witches season would have been finished months ago so I for one am glad that they do exist. (Well, this year anyway)

Edited by Super Blue

I think this reason is used often to protect the rip offs by frightening people into thinking attendances will drop into the toilet if the rip offs are stopped. I honestly do not believe any team which has finished top welcomes the idea of a knock out tournament to decide who are the Champs. Can you honestly say you would be feeling good about this if our respective situations were reversed, doubtful. It is what it is this season bit I would love it if it was changed next season.

You do not get it do you.This is nothing to do with winning the league which means nothing.It's to do with money.It gives the riders at least two more pay days For the clubs, the income coming in might help for survival and having a team next season.

May the best team, over two legs, win. May all the riders stay fit and well. May there be no controversial refereeing decisions. May the weather stay fair and May both legs have healthy attendances, swelling the coffers of two great examples of British speedway clubs.

• Like 1

You do not get it do you.This is nothing to do with winning the league which means nothing.It's to do with money.It gives the riders at least two more pay days For the clubs, the income coming in might help for survival and having a team next season.

That's the prob Mick I do get it. I just don't believe that it's the be all and end all for clubs if it don't happen. Why not declare the top team as Champs, and then run an Elite Trophy for the top 6 clubs. Try telling any sportsman worth his salt that finishing top of the pile at the end of the season is worth nothing. It is about the clubs but it is about the riders and supporters as well. Do you think that 2 pay days makes that much difference, I don't.

Really felt for the Aces after all the aggro at the start of the season to finish top was brilliant. They basically lost the lot over one bad performance to a side who added the World Champion to their side for the final few matches. Not a great lover of Cook, but definitely felt for him and the rest of the lads Wednesday.

• Like 1

It must be voted on each season if there is play offs or not. Be interesting to know how your promotion voted and why.