British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Cliffeboy

Somerset V Ipswich 7.10.16

I'd suggest five minutes in a dark room with a few deep breaths to chill out a bit my old fruit.

• Like 3

So what you're really trying to say is you like Ben? Personally I think he is great. Our sport needs more like him

• Like 2

That's one of the issues speedway has. Boring people. It's viewed by outsiders as being as boring as and nerdish as stamp collecting.. Train and plane spotting

I was a train spotter when I was young.

Now I'm a miserable old sod.

So train spotting obviously makes you happy and/or keeps you young.

Read the write up on the match on Speedway GB and you will see that Barker once again is the consistent PRAT !!!

Hard Riding !!! That was suicidal and homicidal !!! Sticking your boot in another riders spokes to prevent him passing !!! I stand by my view on Barker !!! PRAT !!!

Your avatar is very apt !!! He is another who gets straight qualification to be in the "PRAT" Club

nothing in the report on BSPA website????

If it was sucicidal/homicidal why was he not excluded?

Agre with Baldy and Gordon Bennett - the sport needs more characters that liven matters up.

Cheer them as heroes 👼👼 in your team and boo them as villians 👿👿 when in opposition - great stuff!

• Like 1

This was a terrific contest. The meeting had everything. Very hard racing, good crowd (although surprisingly only a handful of Ipswich fans), a well prepared racing circuit with several lines, and a some pit gate handbags at dawn!

The Witches were good value with King, Risager, Barker and to a lesser extent Covatti always have n the mix.

Some tremendous races notably a hair raising scraping the boards clash between Covatti and Wright with the Argentinian the eventual winner. He showed incredible courage to come back hard at Wright and simply never gave an inch.

The races between Tungate and King were superb. In heat 15, Tungate whilst leading, clipped the back straight fence which reared him in a straight line at speed heading for the 3rd bend fence and probably certain injury. He somehow managed to control his machine narrowly missing the 4th bend fence, and all this whilst still under pressure from the British Champion, he corrected himself and held on for the win.

Jake Allen was most impressive and arguably should have been out in heat 15. He showed real speed all evening and was gating as fast as I've seen him. What an inspired signing he has been.

The altercation at the pit gate was because the Somerset skipper complained bitterly to Barker about 'turning left' on him during heat 15. It resulted in a brief scuffle, and unlike the UKIP equivalent, no punches were thrown!

Barker is always the pantomime villain at the OTA. He even gave an interview in the bar afterwards in front of a packed clubhouse and before a partisan Somerset gathering. When asked about the reception he gets, he stated, "I couldn't care less".

Thick skinned is Mr Barker....

This tie is not over, and the Rebels will need to be at the top of their game for the second leg at Foxhall.

• Like 5

Good for Ben doing that interview.

Again shows that there is as more positive about him than there is negative.

This was a terrific contest. The meeting had everything. Very hard racing, good crowd (although surprisingly only a handful of Ipswich fans), a well prepared racing circuit with several lines, and a some pit gate handbags at dawn!

The Witches were good value with King, Risager, Barker and to a lesser extent Covatti always have n the mix.

Some tremendous races notably a hair raising scraping the boards clash between Covatti and Wright with the Argentinian the eventual winner. He showed incredible courage to come back hard at Wright and simply never gave an inch.

The races between Tungate and King were superb. In heat 15, Tungate whilst leading, clipped the back straight fence which reared him in a straight line at speed heading for the 3rd bend fence and probably certain injury. He somehow managed to control his machine narrowly missing the 4th bend fence, and all this whilst still under pressure from the British Champion, he corrected himself and held on for the win.

Jake Allen was most impressive and arguably should have been out in heat 15. He showed real speed all evening and was gating as fast as I've seen him. What an inspired signing he has been.

The altercation at the pit gate was because the Somerset skipper complained bitterly to Barker about 'turning left' on him during heat 15. It resulted in a brief scuffle, and unlike the UKIP equivalent, no punches were thrown!

Barker is always the pantomime villain at the OTA. He even gave an interview in the bar afterwards in front of a packed clubhouse and before a partisan Somerset gathering. When asked about the reception he gets, he stated, "I couldn't care less".

Thick skinned is Mr Barker....

This tie is not over, and the Rebels will need to be at the top of their game for the second leg at Foxhall.

I disagree that there were only a handful of Witches fans as they lined a section of the fence along the top of the back straight, but, yes, the Witches support away from home is generally poor, particularly as this was a PLPO Semi Final.

I can't agree that Covatti was in the mix - he was awful on his first bike and slightly better on his second.Being beaten by the riders he was tonight is unacceptable and I hope he is not a Witch next season.

I disagree about Tungate still being under pressure from King in Heat 15, as Danny shut off to avoid a collision with an out of control Tungate.

Jake Allen's form is, shall we say, mysterious. How is he quite that fast at the OTA? Maybe there is something in the air...?

Ben Barker's boot was ripped to shreds and he was lucky not to lose toes. The reaction from some Rebels fans in the bar afterwards was unacceptable, but Ben rose above it and was brilliant and, basically, shut those fans up. and there was a round of applause when he left the stage.

I do agree that the tie is not over, but Covatti & Sarj must get their act together and Connor should not be considered again. He obviously flattered to deceive during the Edinburgh match but, basically he is not up to this standard. No time for sentiment now CL and RH. If Danyon, who would have scored a hat full last night, is not fit, get somebody else in - maybe JPB.

I was disappointed with the OTA which is supposedly a great race track. The floodlights are so bright and the off track lighting so poor, it is almost dangerous (without rabbit holes) at this time of year.

The bar staff and the prices are superb tough.

[quote name="macca56" post="2862687" timestamp="1475975628

Jake Allen's form is, shall we say, mysterious. How is he quite that fast at the OTA? Maybe there is something in the air...?

Jake has been sensational at home for a while and top scored for the Aussies in the U21 SWC ahead of the likes of Brady Kurtz , Jack Holder, the lad is class and destined for greater things.

I was disappointed with the OTA which is supposedly a great race track. The floodlights are so bright and the off track lighting so poor, it is almost dangerous (without rabbit holes) at this time of year.

It is a great track and I thought there were some decent races without it being a classic - maybe it helps when your team are winning! You make a valid point on the off track lighting though, its really poor in places and bordering dangerous - I nearly walked over a dog (of the K9 type !) outside the bar it was that dark.

Agree a great friendly service

Apoligises that's not all my post I've tried to quote parts of Macca56 quote and failed miserably

Edited by Always a RACER

I disagree that there were only a handful of Witches fans as they lined a section of the fence along the top of the back straight, but, yes, the Witches support away from home is generally poor, particularly as this was a PLPO Semi Final.

I can't agree that Covatti was in the mix - he was awful on his first bike and slightly better on his second.Being beaten by the riders he was tonight is unacceptable and I hope he is not a Witch next season.

I disagree about Tungate still being under pressure from King in Heat 15, as Danny shut off to avoid a collision with an out of control Tungate.

Ben Barker's boot was ripped to shreds and he was lucky not to lose toes. The reaction from some Rebels fans in the bar afterwards was unacceptable, but Ben rose above it and was brilliant and, basically, shut those fans up. and there was a round of applause when he left the stage.

I do agree that the tie is not over, but Covatti & Sarj must get their act together and Connor should not be considered again. He obviously flattered to deceive during the Edinburgh match but, basically he is not up to this standard. No time for sentiment now CL and RH. If Danyon, who would have scored a hat full last night, is not fit, get somebody else in - maybe JPB.

Your opinion but have to disagree with most of what you said.

• Like 1