British Speedway Forum
Bash

Ipswich 2017

Apologies Hawk read it as thinking they could/would line up for the Witches.

Given both have not been in the UK for many years would expect reassessment would take place.

Both somewhere about 10.50 to 11 would be my guess. ☺

Thanks, as I said just curious given some of the rumours re Jarek. As to Mr Gollob, heard he was top of Mildehalls hit list

It would however be good to see a few more international team meetings and joking aside, yes it would be good for the British riiders to get some international meetings under their belts and this could work and avoid the same repetitive meetings of home and away twice at league level. Yes I do remember the meetings sponsored by the Daily Mirror in the 70's and seeing the Russian Team at Hackney. Great crowds. Still dream on I guess.

The Russians at the dear old much missed County Ground Exeter was the most atmospheric speedway meeting I ever went to. A wonderful night, never forgotten by anybody who was there.

In the spirit that nostalgia ain't what it used to be, I fondly remember the 1973 Daily Mirror International Tournament, with 7 teams contesting 24 matches over a period of 19 days at 18 tracks, it was ( and still is) the largest international tournament ever staged.

I have two abiding memories of the tournament. Firstly going to the old Shay Stadium, Halifax to see Poland take on the Soviet Union. Riders of both sides reveled in the conditions, and I watched some of the most spectacular speedway I had ever seen. The likes of Zenon Plech, Edward Jancarz and Vladimir Gordeev were nothing short of sensational.

Then there was the final, at Wembley Stadium no less. After 24 matches the final (over the old BL 13 Heat formula) finished dead level England and Sweden finishing 39 - 39, JL scoring 2 points from 3 rides.

The tournament was to be decided by a run-off between Peter Collins (England,) and Anders Michanek (Sweden). To this day it remains one of the sport's greatest controversies. So did Peter Collins fall? Or was he pushed? All that mattered was the referee thought the later, Michanek was excluded and England won the tournament.

And if that wasn't enough we had a rather tasty "2nd Half", when England took on the Rest of the World, again over 13 heats.

50,000 or so were there to witness the "going-ons"......and if my memory serves correctly I think admission was less than a fiver.

Will we see the like again? .......what do you think?

• Like 2

Not quite sure how this fits into Ipswich 2017 but no I don't think it will ever happen again.

Oh, and it's been quite some time since we've seen a post on here by yourself Mr S. Where have you been?

Not quite sure how this fits into Ipswich 2017 but no I don't think it will ever happen again.

Oh, and it's been quite some time since we've seen a post on here by yourself Mr S. Where have you been?

Still enjoying the Spanish sunshine. I keep an eye on what's happening without posting....but mention in an earlier post of the 1970s Daily Mirror International Tournament just got the nostalgia juices flowing.

Just to digress very slightly, Scott Nicholls has been announced as the first signing for Rye House.

Im not so sure Glasgow are paying deals significantly above a number of other clubs.

To me it looks like most of any money spent has been on the infrastructure of the stadium and facilities.

You would assume they are one of the better payers but I doubt they are offering 'silly money'

Also the riders are being paid on time and after hearing some of the horror stories from the season just past I guess that is a big bonus.

• Like 1

How many rides does Schlein normally get in Poland? If he's a regular, then that could be problematic with him missing the Sunday tracks over here along with any fixture clashes with his yet to be named Premiership club.

Not so bad if you have strong reserves, but if you build a strong top end and go with two 2 pointers at reserve (Hume and Mountain?), then R/R obviously isn't ideal no matter how much promise they have.

Would you risk it?

No Gino I think is good news think he would take months to come up to speed if at all.

Chris Harris has just joined Rye House with his "mate" Scott lol

lots of rumours danny ayres won't be back at glasgow.... anyone fancy him at foxhall? was an inspired guest for us this season and on 3.7 could either serve as a good reserve partner for hume or perhaps at no.2 freeing up some points for a stronger top 3/4

for example

king 9.57

covatti 7.49

ayres 3.70

hume 2.00

leaves 17.24 for remaining three riders.

hope to see gino back over here as i do think theres potential but also think theres a lot of riders around on similar averages that offer a better option at this time

Edited by 89buttons

Yes Danny Ayres at foxhall on 3.7 sounds good to me, he is an inspirational kind of guy and the fans love him. Reserve sounds best might be too difficult at 2.

• Like 1