British Speedway Forum
TB1

Speedway Agm

The intentions seem to want to bring the two leagues closer together in racing standard and in expenses.

If it works, then I'm all for that.

I hope all promotors will not try to find loop holes to jump through, when team building throughout the season, and try to do things in the spirit that the new rules have been set out. Thinking of the sport in general, rather than winning at all costs. Long term sustainability is needed, not short term success.

Glad to see them also looking at reducing engine costs and maybe doing a 'deal' with an engine manufacturer...either Gerhard...or maybe JAWA, as has been 'suggested?'

The block on Belle Vue can only be a good thing...as it will stop any further money problems. It seems like they have a Promotion in the wings looking to take over?

Trying to work out how the average x1.4 is going to work, once riders averages find their own level. This could be the biggest problem and open to taking advantage.

• Like 4

No they're not. They have stated they will run, its just financial issues at the moment.

How can they declare they will run without anyone to promote it?

the averagres may take a season or two to even out but I can see this working well.

• Like 2

But two more Prem teams so thats 14 extra places to fill. We'll lose some GP riders because of the averages x 1.4 and because others can only do 3 leagues.

I feel sorry for Danish riders like Anderson and Iversen who have always supported GB racing and always turn up to do there best. They may not be able to ride here because of a stupid Polish rule which must be some kind of restraint of trade. They will have to decide between Sweden and GB.

It has to be tested as to whether or not the new Polish Regulation complies with the free movement of employees across the EU.

Would it not have made more sense to have one division with all teams meeting each other once with a points limit of 45?

“Now we have rebranded the sport, it’s time to deliver.” :rofl: What a 'kin' JOKE...

So this means say riders like Holder, Doyle etc will have their average massively inflated?

Doyle's average will be over 13, which of course he can't achieve. But he'll be one of the best riders in the league.

It seems the Fast Track system is finished then.....what will the reserve system be now? Anyone know?

Why would it have to be over two legs? The lower tier side hosting is something of a leveller in terms of playing field. Let's remember that there's only 10 points difference in team building too, and averages for both leagues are taken from PL averages. The only stumbling block I can see is the doubling up issue, hopefully in the coming years that will be eradicated and we can have a cup competition where teams from different leagues can face each other. If done properly it isn't a shambles, far from it, it's a money maker. Look at the FA cup in football. 2003 isn't a short time ago either and back then the difference in standard between the EL and PL was actually noticeable.

If you do not have it over two legs the 1st division sides will not take part as they need the home leg to cover the costs of their riders.

Anything that is not solely 1st division league speedway does not attract most fans as they think league racing is all that matters. The 1st division stopped second half racing because many fans did not bother to hang around for it.

Actually the biggest laugh today was when somebody moaned about Wolves racing alternate weeks when there are only enough meetings to race every other week already; that may change next year or some stupid formula where team play one team four time but other teams twice during the season. I cannot believe that that was ever tried in the first place.

So, after a few teams struggled (and in a few cases failed) to get in 24 League matches in to what was the Premier League, before the cut-of date for the Play-offs, they are hoping to fit in 36 matches in 2017.

They've changed the name of the top two divisions (we await what the NL will be called).

Everyone will have one average (but haven't explained, once the season starts how the averages will be worked out, presumably this will follow).

They've brought back promotion/relegation (that didn't work the last they tried it).

And that's 'a major revamp.'

I'm sure (as always) more will follow, but I don't see how that is all going to get the fans flooding (back) through the turnstiles.

Probably League One.

I would imagine the League Cup will be/ought to be scrapped as the Second division will be having 2 home and away league matches. An unnecessary competition now.

They could simply have less clubs in each League Cup Group to maintain the same number of meetings. I have not read anything about the 2nd Division racing home and away twice.

As regards two home and two away.....From the scb website.......

SGB PREMIERSHIP 2017: Belle Vue, Coventry, Kings Lynn, Leicester, Poole, Rye House, Somerset, Swindon, Wolverhampton.

SGB CHAMPIONSHIP: Berwick, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Ipswich, Newcastle, Peterborough, Redcar, Scunthorpe, Sheffield, Workington* (*subject to confirmation).

Two home, two away, top four into play-offs.

Edited by Sniffy
  • Like 1

If you do not have it over two legs the 1st division sides will not take part as they need the home leg to cover the costs of their riders.

Anything that is not solely 1st division league speedway does not attract most fans as they think league racing is all that matters. The 1st division stopped second half racing because many fans did not bother to hang around for it.

Actually the biggest laugh today was when somebody moaned about Wolves racing alternate weeks when there are only enough meetings to race every other week already; that may change next year or some stupid formula where team play one team four time but other teams twice during the season. I cannot believe that that was ever tried in the first place.

Probably League One.

They could simply have less clubs in each League Cup Group to maintain the same number of meetings. I have not read anything about the 2nd Division racing home and away twice.

They are.

I'm quite happy with it, averages for Premiership may be iffy but come next year all shall look a lot better, needed to start somewhere, it's the most positive agm for a while, that's for sure

• Like 3

so no question that the NL will have the most clubs....seems like a race to the bottom...at this rate the 3rd tier will soon end up being bigger than the other two put together

• Like 1

Nice to see that the press release has been amended to clarify the 1.4 issue, it now reads "by a factor of 1.4"

Most people reading the original statement would assume an increase of 1.4 would mean an addition, I did, when all it needed to say was "multiplied by 1.4"

However I do think this just goes to show how the rule book gets into such a mess, if a simple point such as this is so misinterpreted.

The same can be said for "riders who only raced in the Elite League", do they mean that, does the National League come into the equation ? (I'm thinking Adam Ellis here)

A more forward thinking organisation would have gone through the rider list and published new averages right now, to accompany the press release.

Do the Promoters write the rule book ?

• Like 1