British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
damosuzuki

Glasgow 2017

As far as I see it riders on track then meet the riders in the bar a one off event cost as stipulated.Same as going to see a group do you ask for a discount as you don't want to see backing groups ?

Since when have clubs ever charged people to attend a meet the riders event or watch a Practice Session though? I think that's the point here.

He has a point though bruv , charging a fiver to watch them make practice starts is extracting the urine just a tad .

At Berwick, public were allowed to watch FIM practices, but held a raffle among spectators which was in aid of the BenFund, not the promotion and there is never a charge for watching regular p&p.

Surely the club are just trying to recoup cash for what is quite a costly event. We have the best facilities in British speedway and huge improvements in the close season.

No you havent. You have very much improved facilities, and we liked what we saw at Benfund meeting but to try and boast you have the best facilities in British speedway is a joke because Sheffield have a much better bar and restaurant and Ipswich have the best viewing and the tracks at Scunthorpe and Somerset are usually considered among the best. Maybe you meant to say you have the best facilities in Scottish speedway.

WE OWN OUR OWN TRACK.....so WE do.

At Berwick, public were allowed to watch FIM practices, but held a raffle among spectators which was in aid of the BenFund, not the promotion and there is never a charge for watching regular p&p.

No you havent. You have very much improved facilities, and we liked what we saw at Benfund meeting but to try and boast you have the best facilities in British speedway is a joke because Sheffield have a much better bar and restaurant and Ipswich have the best viewing and the tracks at Scunthorpe and Somerset are usually considered among the best. Maybe you meant to say you have the best facilities in Scottish speedway.

He says it as he sees it as others do it is called having an opinion others may differ others may have the same.

You have your own opinion which you are entitled the same as everyone has.

On the subject off facilities at Ashfield whilst there is always room for improvement in my opinion is one off the best in the league with Sheffield and will continue to improve.

The main difference is Glasgow now own there stadium which means furher improvements will only add value to our assett.

Edited by Gazc

Not saying no one else has these, nor that they're the best, but let's not forget the disabled access/facilities at Ashfield.

Bring back the good old days of Blantyre, nobody complained about the facilities there

There weren't any facilities, but that's beside the point

• Like 3

Sheffield have a much better bar and restaurant and Ipswich have the best viewing and the tracks at Scunthorpe and Somerset are usually considered among the best. Maybe you meant to say you have the best facilities in Scottish speedway.

Don't agree about Scunny and Somerset, any time I've been at the EWR the "racing" has been processional with no passing, and although I haven't been in person to Somerset's track I've seen it on Sky and the testimony of Joe Screen an experienced rider was damning regarding the track. In contrast I've seen far more passing in one or two matches at Ashfield than I've ever seen at the EWR over about 7 or 8 matches which is why I've no great wish to return there.

Agree about the "bar", who's the grumpy guy running it, and while some of the viewing at Ashfield is excellent there are a few blind spots, including the refs box sometimes. :P

What did Screen say about Somerset?

I think that we all cast an eye over at Glasgow with some form of envy, I think that we would all be lying if we did not admit to that.

To be honest £5 does appear to be a bit steep, but if generally most fans who have Owners investing so heavily in their club generally don't object to paying a bit extra, and it is the Glasgow fans that are been asked to put their hands in their pocket and as long as they don't mind its okay.

Bit compared toa lot of other clubs it is a tad bit over priced.

In All years I have known at Ashfield there was at least a £3 charge for meet the riders and has been said donations sought previously for P&P part of day - used to have meet riders away from stadium eg eagle lodge with bar charging £2 for can of coke - reality is if you don't want to pay it just don't go simple as that - personally makes sense having 2 events much closer together and avoid coming to ashfield at say 2pm for couple of hours then going home then returning to meet the riders at 7pm imo

• Like 3

What did Screen say about Somerset?

He was critical of the track, on precise words from memory lack of grip or no grip was mentioned and he couldn't give advice to younger members of the team as he didn't even know himself what was working on that track.

Take a look at @edinburghpaper's Tweet: https://twitter.com/edinburghpaper/status/844588506848612354?s=09

Treat time!

Edinburgh newspaper.

Should be on the Edinburgh thread, not Glasgow.

Ah, of course.

Unless you stereotype Buckfast with Glasgow.

Funnily enough it's sold in Edinburgh shops too.

In fact, my local Edinburgh chippie includes it on it's door-to-door home delivery flyer.

• Like 2

Think it's pointing out what's available elsewhere!

Prefer a drop of Edinburgh Gin myself.