British Speedway Forum

The Polish ruling was initially rumoured/reported/translated to be Extraleague plus one other league!!

This was later changed to Extraleague plus 2 other leagues (one of which must be the rider's 'domestic' league - UK in the case of Aussie riders)!

This was always going to have a greater effect on those Danes that had secured a Polish Extraleague place.

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

Come on all you Rebels supporters - now we are in the top division we need plenty of activity on this forum.

My biggest disappointment is the selection Graveson for 2017 I can't see Garys thinking behind that one - time will tell!!

Morning All

Can anyone advise when the 2017 fixtures are published please?

Thanks

Paul

Towards the end of January according to a BSPA statement in connection with the Coventry situation!!

Come on all you Rebels supporters - now we are in the top division we need plenty of activity on this forum.

My biggest disappointment is the selection Graveson for 2017 I can't see Garys thinking behind that one - time will tell!!

Not much to discuss at the moment I think Chris tbh. The team is pretty much what I think most of us expected. Shame no BWD at reserve tho, I think he will find it hard in Swindons top five. I'm following Rohan in Aus to keep me interested as I'm bored silly with Belle Vue and Coventry, and the handbags on the Poole thread. Poole remind me of West Ham FC supporters, fighting each other lol.
  • Like 4

Not much to discuss at the moment I think Chris tbh. The team is pretty much what I think most of us expected. Shame no BWD at reserve tho, I think he will find it hard in Swindons top five. I'm following Rohan in Aus to keep me interested as I'm bored silly with Belle Vue and Coventry, and the handbags on the Poole thread. Poole remind me of West Ham FC supporters, fighting each other lol.

Or just fighting Starman - Although I think that goes for nearly every team in the Country!

• Like 2

Better get used to it. :lol: Worst thing Somerset did was to join the Elite League or whatever it's called now. They must be mad.

• Like 1

quiet without me , innit !

• Like 2

Better get used to it. :lol: Worst thing Somerset did was to join the Elite League or whatever it's called now. They must be mad.

No Gemini, with Rye House moving up, and Plymouth moving down, they would have been mad to stay in a league where there nearest opponent would have been Peterborough, and every away fixture would have required a huge amount of travelling and the related cost, where virtually every opponent, bar Peterborough & Ipswich are based in the northern half of the country. A league where the prospect of any amount decent away support, in terms of numbers, would have been virtually zero.

Moving to the Premiership has not only seen the massive travelling cost reduced, but has brought the prospect of relatively local derbies with Swindon & Poole, with at least 4 or more meetings per season, where the away support should be much more than they have seen at anytime in their years, since 2000, in the Premier & Conference leagues. granted there will be some increased cost from riders wages, but the club has always managed this well in the past, so I would expect that to continue.

So no, I can't agree that they are mad to be taking the step up, as the way I see it, there was little left, by the way of financial viability for the club, to stay in the Championship, quite the opposite I'd say.

Ask Glasgow why they haven't taken the step up, I think you'll find that had they moved up, they would have been in a similar situation to Somerset, had the Rebels stayed put in the Championship

Edited by womble53
  • Like 4

No Gemini, with Rye House moving up, and Plymouth moving down, they would have been mad to stay in a league where there nearest opponent would have been Peterborough, and every away fixture would have required a huge amount of travelling and the related cost, where virtually every opponent, bar Peterborough & Ipswich are based in the northern half of the country. A league where the prospect of any amount decent away support, in terms of numbers, would have been virtually zero.

Moving to the Premiership has not only seen the massive travelling cost reduced, but has brought the prospect of relatively local derbies with Swindon & Poole, with at least 4 or more meetings per season, where the away support should be much more than they have seen at anytime in their years, since 2000, in the Premier & Conference leagues. granted there will be some increased cost from riders wages, but the club has always managed this well in the past, so I would expect that to continue.

So no, I can't agree that they are mad to be taking the step up, as the way I see it, there was little left, by the way of financial viability for the club, to stay in the Championship, quite the opposite I'd say.

Ask Glasgow why they haven't taken the step up, I think you'll find that had they moved up, they would have been in a similar situation to Somerset, had the Rebels stated put in the Championship

However if at the end of 2017 Glasgow get promoted & Somerset get relegated, in 2018 both clubs will have the issues of no local derbies!

Okay fair enough as I didn't think of the other teams involved, just what a mess the E.L. is in at the moment. Anyway. I hope it all works out well for Somerset. Have loved visiting there in the past ~ great track.

However if at the end of 2017 Glasgow get promoted & Somerset get relegated, in 2018 both clubs will have the issues of no local derbies!

Assuming Glasgow win the league and Somerset were to finish bottom of the Prem, the Rebels current line up would make a mess of Glasgows current team in any sort of play off situation.

Okay fair enough as I didn't think of the other teams involved, just what a mess the E.L. is in at the moment. Anyway. I hope it all works out well for Somerset. Have loved visiting there in the past ~ great track.

British speedway is in a mess, not one league.

Do you not follow what the issues other leagues have?

Berwick have been struggling for a few seasons, Workington owners have said crowds are an issue, Plymouth have struggled and withdrawn from 2nd tier, national league struggles to complete all fixtures on a virtual annual basis.

Yea, it's all the fault of the top flight. :nono:

• Like 1

........stevebrum........Do you not follow what the issues other leagues have?

No not really, apart from the occasional look at Peterborough threads as they are the nearest lower division team to me and where I'm more likely to go. I still think the E.L. has been in a bigger mess this close season than any of the others, with doubt about running of almost half of last year's teams. Thankfully Leicester seem to be sorted, although no idea who will be in the team and Belle Vue will hopefully have good news this week, which leaves Coventry ~ heaven knows what's happening with them. At least Swindon have the old stadium to use this year should the new one not materialize. I can't remember saying it was all the fault of the top flight though.

No not really, apart from the occasional look at Peterborough threads as they are the nearest lower division team to me and where I'm more likely to go. I still think the E.L. has been in a bigger mess this close season than any of the others, with doubt about running of almost half of last year's teams. Thankfully Leicester seem to be sorted, although no idea who will be in the team and Belle Vue will hopefully have good news this week, which leaves Coventry ~ heaven knows what's happening with them. At least Swindon have the old stadium to use this year should the new one not materialize. I can't remember saying it was all the fault of the top flight though.

Peterborough another team that has had lots of issues!

You only mentioned the EL (top flight) so I assumed you only meant that that was a issue.

Plymouth even started and nearly closed early part of 2016 so there are lots of problems at all levels.

It doesn't matter which league has the most problems. What we know is that several clubs throughout the sport have struggled for a few seasons and throughout this close season.

For every success story like Rye House or Glasgow there is one in trouble like Leicester or Plymouth.

• Like 1