British Speedway Forum

I only went to watch Swindon when Bristol packed in.

Interest dwindled around early mid 90's. Probably not long after Andrew Silver leaving. Loved watching him around Blunsden.

Then Somerset came along and the interest reignited.

I'm hoping the new track when built at Blunsden will give similar type racing to Somerset.

Both are roughly equal distance from where I live. I'd be happy to watch both if it became so.

I'd be lost to Speedway if it weren't for Somerset.

I'm hoping if there is a new stadium it will be a better race track to keep the fans attending.

Too many heats that are decided after the second bend.

Also you are closer to the action, looking down onto the track at OTA from the big back straight grass bank rather than through fences across a dog track.

• Like 1

So have I missed something or is the Somerset preview wrong for Friday? It shows us on our original starting averages and not with our new 4H 4A averages. This means it shows Grajczonek top of the averages when it should actually be Hougaard if the new averages were in place?

I'm hoping if there is a new stadium it will be a better race track to keep the fans attending.

Too many heats that are decided after the second bend.

Also you are closer to the action, looking down onto the track at OTA from the big back straight grass bank rather than through fences across a dog track.

That's one of the only criticisms with the Oak Tree Arena - the home straight terracing would be better if it a lot closer to the track, but it's hardly make or break.

• Like 1

So have I missed something or is the Somerset preview wrong for Friday? It shows us on our original starting averages and not with our new 4H 4A averages. This means it shows Grajczonek top of the averages when it should actually be Hougaard if the new averages were in place?

That's one of the only criticisms with the Oak Tree Arena - the home straight terracing would be better if it a lot closer to the track, but it's hardly make or break.

Agree, if only the home straight and the 1st and 2nd bends were as close to the track as the back straight it would be fantastic.

Have read this several times and have decided it's a wind up.

Afraid it's not but at least he's giving Coventry a break at the moment.

Yes, the new averages do not start until all clubs have completed 4h and 4a, according to my discussions with Gary, which should be when Leicester finally get there, sometime in June. However I`m not sure how riders who have joined clubs recently, like Lawson Heaps etc, who may not have completed 4h and 4a will stand. Clearly the whole situation is a shambles and was not thought through.

• Like 3

I only went to watch Swindon when Bristol packed in.

Interest dwindled around early mid 90's. Probably not long after Andrew Silver leaving. Loved watching him around Blunsden.

Then Somerset came along and the interest reignited.

I'm hoping the new track when built at Blunsden will give similar type racing to Somerset.

Both are roughly equal distance from where I live. I'd be happy to watch both if it became so.

I'd be lost to Speedway if it weren't for Somerset.

When the new track is built being the opparative word...

• Like 1

Yes, the new averages do not start until all clubs have completed 4h and 4a, according to my discussions with Gary, which should be when Leicester finally get there, sometime in June. However I`m not sure how riders who have joined clubs recently, like Lawson Heaps etc, who may not have completed 4h and 4a will stand. Clearly the whole situation is a shambles and was not thought through.

What a shambles indeed. Why should clubs have to wait until all teams have completed their fixtures? I notice that Lewis Kerr is on his new average achieved from Scunthorpe presumably instead of the one he joined Poole on.

We can expect to see Tungate back in for Kerr or Heeps I expect then in June in a bid to try and make the play offs.

What a shambles indeed. Why should clubs have to wait until all teams have completed their fixtures? I notice that Lewis Kerr is on his new average achieved from Scunthorpe presumably instead of the one he joined Poole on.

We can expect to see Tungate back in for Kerr or Heeps I expect then in June in a bid to try and make the play offs.

Unless in the meantime another premiership club comes calling

So so sorry for the fans of Somerset speedway - they appear to have been let down by inept promotion / management who believed they could compete in a already watered down "top flight" league with dreadful resources. Their recent rider changes in the last few days prove that they are still clueless. In previous seasons have attended Somerset on many occasions, and making specific travelling plans on my way down to Devon and Cornwall from my Midlands base to experience one of the best UK speedway circuits. Alas, no intention of repeating this any time soon.

Expect Somerset speedway hierarchy will not be bothered about me no longer attending a few times during the season, but speedway fans are not daft and sure there will be numerous others who may agree with me too.

Always look across to the Oak Tree Arena from the M5 - but that's is it from me for the time being.

I haven't met any Somerset fans that have felt 'let down by inept promotion/management. Somerset fans are a knowledgeable and realistic bunch who realised that you cant just step up into the big league, splashing the cash here there and everywhere

Sure it was a risk going with what was essentially a 'second tier' outfit, but let's face it, even the so called 'top teams' have weaknesses throughout their teams and it's not what the old Elite league was in any case.

So the new changes are 'clueless ' are they? Well, why don't we just watch and wait on that before we pass judgement. It looks to me that the side has been strengthened. Astute management in the circumstances I call it.

I am curious as to why this has prompted you to give the OTA a miss from now on, especially as you describe the track as one of the best. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face!

• Like 5

So so sorry for the fans of Somerset speedway - they appear to have been let down by inept promotion / management who believed they could compete in a already watered down "top flight" league with dreadful resources. Their recent rider changes in the last few days prove that they are still clueless. In previous seasons have attended Somerset on many occasions, and making specific travelling plans on my way down to Devon and Cornwall from my Midlands base to experience one of the best UK speedway circuits. Alas, no intention of repeating this any time soon.

Expect Somerset speedway hierarchy will not be bothered about me no longer attending a few times during the season, but speedway fans are not daft and sure there will be numerous others who may agree with me too.

Always look across to the Oak Tree Arena from the M5 - but that's is it from me for the time being.

Seriously ?????? i'd love to watch every week what I watched at Somerset 2 weeks ago .

Have read this several times and have decided it's a wind up.

Either a wind up , or a very bitter man with an axe to grind . A very daft post

• Like 5

I haven't met any Somerset fans that have felt 'let down by inept promotion/management. Somerset fans are a knowledgeable and realistic bunch who realised that you cant just step up into the big league, splashing the cash here there and everywhere

Sure it was a risk going with what was essentially a 'second tier' outfit, but let's face it, even the so called 'top teams' have weaknesses throughout their teams and it's not what the old Elite league was in any case.

Inept/ management, count the trophies and quality of the racing in the last few years,, some are never satisfied...

Edited by Starman2006

Unless in the meantime another premiership club comes calling

Well if the averages aren't changing until all teams have done 4H 4A..... on a 9+ average??

Well if the averages aren't changing until all teams have done 4H 4A..... on a 9+ average??

If he's stuck on a 9 point average then you will be right. No1 would take him

Seriously ?????? i'd love to watch every week what I watched at Somerset 2 weeks ago .

Surely not me presenting the ROTN poison chalice again though?? :lol:

• Like 1

Surely not me presenting the ROTN poison chalice again though?? :lol:

No we'll gloss over that kiss of death lol , I meant the standard of entertainment on track . :D

• Like 1