British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
LagutaRacingFan

Why Have The Pl Promoters Agreed To Lose The 'premier League' Name?

The top league should be the premier like it is

Rebranding the names of leagues will not make any difference in respect of attendancies and nor wlil it improve the racing. IMO it's not going to do any favours for speedway and will look to many fans BSPA are just copying what the English football league has done.

• Like 3

Rebranding the names of leagues will not make any difference in respect of attendancies and nor wlil it improve the racing. IMO it's not going to do any favours for speedway and will look to many fans BSPA are just copying what the English football league has done.

Well I disagree. It may well help non-speedway fans understand the league structure better because it is just like football (which is no bad thing). I do agree that it will not improve attendanaces or racing but that was not the reason for the name changes. Most fans on this Forum have been screaming out for years that we should change the names of the leagues, especially the so-called "Elite" league.

• Like 2

Well I disagree. It may well help non-speedway fans understand the league structure better because it is just like football (which is no bad thing). I do agree that it will not improve attendanaces or racing but that was not the reason for the name changes. Most fans on this Forum have been screaming out for years that we should change the names of the leagues, especially the so-called "Elite" league.

It may well help non speedway fans understand the league structure better .) Well that's sounds like a good reason to change , to let people know who don't attend speedway and are not interested in the sport .

Edited by New era Panthers
  • Like 2

Dont really care what its called, as long as we get speedway. Speedway needs a shake up, and until we see the final changes, I dont think it is a big enough shake up, but its a start, and hope something more radical is yet to come.

And as Scottish football has done. :neutral:

• Like 1

It would have made more sense to put both leagues on an equal footing and rebranding them as the northern and southern leagues. Promotion and relegation just doesn't work in speedway for example would the likes of Glasgow Edinburgh Workington Newcastle Berwick and Redcar be interested in being elevated with all the extra wages and travelling expenses to fork out for a league that is mainly southern based

Edited by New era Panthers
  • Like 3

It would have made more sense to put both leagues on an equal footing and rebranding them as the northern and southern leagues. Promotion and relegation just doesn't work in speedway for example would the likes of Glasgow Edinburgh Workington Newcastle Berwick and Middlesbrough be interested in being elevated with all the extra wages and travelling expenses to fork out for a league that is mainly southern based

Probably a very strong case for merging two top leagues into one, would have made 20 clubs, 19 home and 19 away. Not much difference between the now old EL & PL, think a club like Somerset could have easily competed in the EL this year.

Would have got rid of the dreaded doubling up problem as well, and also allowed riders to have more rides for their club during the season

Edited by balderdash&piffle
  • Like 1

Think you will find that they started using the "Premier" wording in Scotland many years before the English League. ;)

• Like 1

herad a rumour they all got £50 cash back if they agreed to change name so no brainer

most involved in speedway would take the £50

herad a rumour they all got £50 cash back if they agreed to change name so no brainer

most involved in speedway would take the £50

Doe's that equate to 30 pieces of silver.

Following the masterstroke decisions of the BSPA at the recent AGM, all of those problems undermining the stability of speedway are truly behind us! Average crowds in the SGB Premiership will mirror those in football - around 26,000 and in the very similar ( we are assured ) SGB Championship will be close to 19,000. The new pay rates will be £1,000 a point for all riders ( with the very, very best on Rooneyesque levels of £3,000 a point ) New Armani blazers ( and matching trousers ) will be ordered for all of the fiendishly clever promoters ( skirts an optional choice for some ). Luxury new viewing areas will be urgently required for the Rider's Agents. Pit's paddocks will have to be greatly enlarged to take in the soon to be, all too common motorhomes. And one or two helicopter pads as well. The sport will be awash with money ( and perhaps all toilets with disinfectant ). Well done One and All for such a clever solution. As the mist clears and Autumn 2017 draws close we will see them for what they are - purely cosmetic and very much in the way of " the Emperors new clothes". Too little too late to stop the rot in the sport.

In my opinion, re-naming the premier league to the championship was a bad move. It's because every time i see the word, i think of the EPL championship in football. The league that no one really cares about, the league that's always second best. Even if it is the middle league, to me, it makes it now sound like the premier league teams are boring. Whereas with a name like "the premier league", it sounds like it's a big deal. The league above was the Elite League, the best of the best. Both leagues sounded equally great. But now that the Elite League has the Premiership brand, it makes it seem like promoters are trying to push the focus onto that league instead of an equal share between them.

That's my two cents, anyway. ☺️

Edited by DiamondGlory