British Speedway Forum
Alex2000

Eastbourne 2017

Kelsey probably isn't the best at applying himself but surely he needs encouragement from his dad and brother. Yet in the public eye they seem to make more negative comments than positive.

Haven't been even able to get on here today, but great to see IT First back sponsoring the mighty IT First eagles

I usually steer clear of reacting to comments like this and have done this one since I first viewed it but I keep coming back to this.

Firstly, I am NOT in the know and dont have any ties within speedway hence why I rarely make comments about riders or anyone else within speedway but just look at the comment.

You need ANYONE but those two in your ear.

I have had a little involvement with Eastbourne over the last few years, through sponsorship of an Elite League rider and the National League plus I helped a little at the track and attended training sessions with my son and I found Martin incredibly helpful. He is one of the FIRST people I would want in my sons ear about riding speedway.

I would imagine they are pretty hard on him as his father and brother but I also have the 'feeling' (I dont actually know) that Kelsey does not always like to listen. Something he has as good as admitted. So yeh, maybe there are some relationship issues but to make that statement seems a bit naff.

But. Maybe you speak from experience and if you do, I take it all back.

Pure hearsay. From more than one source, though.

Lets see what Connor Dugard has to say about his team members for 2017, shall we ?

''said it was signing “we could not miss out on

He said: "Colesy is a great guy on and off the track. He guested for us in 2015 and also in the KO Cup final this year.

“He's on a bargain average in my opinion. He could easily put a point and a half on that I reckon".

Mark guested for us a couple of times last year and just like Georgie and Colesy he gives 110% every time.

“He only rode Arlington twice last year and he showed how good he is round our circuit.

"I've built the team very much like last year with three potential number 1s in Mark, Georgie and Colesy.”

Baseby rode last year for the Isle of Wight where, Dugard said, he was “near on untouchable”.

“He is another rider like Georgie and Connor who put two points on their averages.”

Charley comes in on a 4.05 and we believe he can put at least a point on that average.

“A couple of clubs approached us wanting to use him including the likes of Cradley."

I know Adam had many offers from other clubs and we appreciate that he will be trekking down each week but he says he's up for it and we are willing to give him that chance.

“He's definitely got ability and hopefully with the help from Dad and everyone else we can get the most out of Adam.”

Georgie put nearly two points on his starting average again this year building the team around him was a no brainer"

Wood having a home track average of 9.89 (including bonus points) is 'a steal' explained Connor.

Whatever the point limit is Georgie is in all of our plans. If he makes the progress he has I wouldn't be surprised if he is riding in the Championship next year let alone guest bookings in the premiership.

.....................and then there's Kelsey:

I'll be one of the first to admit I didn't think he was up to it at times. I have told him where he's at as opposed to where he thinks he's at.

“In fairness I look at his average and it has gone down, however, the league was harder last year and he did ride at number 2 so that was fair enough and he didn't actually crash as much as he did in the previous year.

"We have a deal with Kelsey with regards to his fitness and bike maintenance which has been a major problem in the past. However, he has promised us that will change.

“He really has to crack on this year and establish himself at this level as riders that started at the same time as him really have progressed massively in the past two seasons."

I suppose 'didn't actually crash as much last year' is about as positive as it gets and the contrast between those comments and the remarks made about the rest of the team is a stark one.

​There were one or two remarks about Kelsey's attitude at Isle Of Wight last year (and while that's hearsay, too, what is undoubtedly true is that he was hugely popular there). But if the above comments are made in public, just imagine what is said in private.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

I am not sure that any of the above means that he would want 'anyone in his ear but them'

There is a doubt over his attitude and they have voiced it, the same as they would anyone else. I would rather that than just feel he is always going to be in the team because of who he is.

• Like 1

Kelsey is hugely popular at Arlington, with everyone wishing him to do well, even when he was sliding off way to offen in 2015 there was never any negativity from the crowd, and received the biggest cheer when he did hold it together against opposing heat leaders. I'm convinced the comments are only to gee him up and can imagine that type of banter whether in private or public has been going on all their lives in the Dugard household, so I can't imagine it holds any animosity. Who knows what was said to Connor when he dabbled with a riding career and couldn't quite make the grade.

I am not sure that any of the above means that he would want 'anyone in his ear but them'

There is a doubt over his attitude and they have voiced it, the same as they would anyone else. I would rather that than just feel he is always going to be in the team because of who he is.

They haven't voiced it. They have shouted it from the rooftops.

The difference between the remarks made about the rest of the team and Dugard is clear. The former are full of praise, encouragement and anticipation. The latter is full of criticism, negativity and a grudging acceptance that he is back at Eastbourne.

I could make a very good case that he is being singled out there, which suggests to me that the hearsay is likely to be true.

They could have said : 'We are delighted to have him back. He's my brother so he is going to have prove himself that bit more, but we think he had a good season last year with Isle of Wight. His average dropped, but he matured as a rider in a tougher league and in a tougher position. We're expecting big things from him'.

They didn't.

They haven't voiced it. They have shouted it from the rooftops.

The difference between the remarks made about the rest of the team and Dugard is clear. The former are full of praise, encouragement and anticipation. The latter is full of criticism, negativity and a grudging acceptance that he is back at Eastbourne.

I could make a very good case that he is being singled out there, which suggests to me that the hearsay is likely to be true.

They could have said : 'We are delighted to have him back. He's my brother so he is going to have prove himself that bit more, but we think he had a good season last year with Isle of Wight. His average dropped, but he matured as a rider in a tougher league and in a tougher position. We're expecting big things from him'.

They didn't.

If you see my last post I think that's more likely the situation. Even though in public it's just family banter, with him being the forth generation speedway rider, imagine this type of thing has been going on in the family for years.

If you see my last post I think that's more likely the situation. Even though in public it's just family banter, with him being the forth generation speedway rider, imagine this type of thing has been going on in the family for years.

I hope you're right. I have to say it doesn't look like that to me.

There is a chance, though, that it will work out to everyone's advantage in the end - rider, club and supporters.

Disappointed to see there is no round of the British Youth championship scheduled this year at Arlington. Always enjoy watching the lads give it a go. Only hope is that it will be the final round still TBC but that is not traditionally so.

Disappointed to see there is no round of the British Youth championship scheduled this year at Arlington. Always enjoy watching the lads give it a go. Only hope is that it will be the final round still TBC but that is not traditionally so.

With not starting until Easter, and doing the NL Trophy again this year, I bet getting all the fixtures in could be a problem this year, so may have a bearing on not doing it, also last couple of years, had Tom in it to help bring in a few more fans.

With not starting until Easter, and doing the NL Trophy again this year, I bet getting all the fixtures in could be a problem this year, so may have a bearing on not doing it, also last couple of years, had Tom in it to help bring in a few more fans.

But don't forget that tiny 6 or 7 year old who toddled round on a small bike during the parade in the Elite League days. He is 13 this year and won the 150cc class with 45 wins in 45 rides last year. Nathan Ablitt will be our no 7 in 2019 for sure.

If Lakeside are not in the NL next year then I would think the other second half rider from those days Jonathan Edwards will be No 7. He should be moving up to 500cc this year.

But don't forget that tiny 6 or 7 year old who toddled round on a small bike during the parade in the Elite League days. He is 13 this year and won the 150cc class with 45 wins in 45 rides last year. Nathan Ablitt will be our no 7 in 2019 for sure.

If Lakeside are not in the NL next year then I would think the other second half rider from those days Jonathan Edwards will be No 7. He should be moving up to 500cc this year.

I suppose there always seems to be someone coming through. Fixtures still could be the problem, but as you say the final one may be us, but may not want to commit to a date until the fixtures are known. On that note when are they likely ?

I suppose there always seems to be someone coming through. Fixtures still could be the problem, but as you say the final one may be us, but may not want to commit to a date until the fixtures are known. On that note when are they likely ?

NL fixtures cannot be compiled until the Premiership and Championship ones are finalised.

• Like 1

NL fixtures cannot be compiled until the Premiership and Championship ones are finalised.

Are they imminent? My middle name is impatient!

Edited by gazzac

Having read a tweet on Connors personal account today it would appear that he does make digs at his brother, however if the tweet is accurate it's a fair comment to make.