British Speedway Forum
Alex2000

Eastbourne 2017

Practising for KL ? Fun?

Edited by gazzac

A big IT First welcome to former Eagle Mattie Bates

He makes his return to the shale on a 4.86 average and is a rider that team boss Connor Dugard says "still has so much to offer".

Eastbourne had to reshuffle the team when news of Adam Extance's retirement due to injury came in.

Dugard said: "I could have made team changes and line ups but I did that last year and I didn't want to do it again. None of the team have done any wrong and we have a great vibe and I want to keep it that way.

"Mattie is committed. He has experience , as many Eagles fans may recall from his time with us in our first year of National League racing in 2015.

"He has the potential to win big heats. Remember in 2015 he beat Rob Branford and Bradley Wilson-Dean in heat 1.

Bates said: "It's great to be back. I finished last time with a broken leg, unfortunately.

"I like the Eastbourne track and all the management. I'm so geared up for this more than I ever have before.

"Better get measured up for my new suit ready for Lakeside home and away on Good Friday."

Although I'd love to have seen Jake back this year, I do admire Connor sticking to his guns of wanting a strength in depth team. Baring injuries should always have a strong 1 to 7 with 2 strong reserves whoever ends up there. Remains to be seen if we get out gunned by the likes of Cradley, but as usual will be hard to beat at home, with every team member capable of improving their average.

• Like 1

Bates over Extance probably strengthens them at home but weakens them away. However I doubt there'll be much difference between the two. It's nice to see a like for like change though.

Bates is he the Kid that had a bike that smoked like an old steam train at the start line. i remember they put him on Kelseys bike for a race and he went out and won the race ofter a very poor start.

Think its a good signing, i can see that clubs like lakeside still dont have a team yet struggling to find a 3 pointer. Good luck Mattie good to have you back.

Edited by firstbendbunch

i know Matt has an old bike from Seemond Stephens and they were always quick and motors are all very strong..

Matt Bates is a rider that has never rode to his potential yet! Great signing by Eastbourne and you have to think Plymouth have missed a trick here. Bates has a great riding style and is very fast. If he can improve his gating skills then Eastbourne will have a gem in the team.

Always considered Matty a good man in the engine room. Never gonna pull up many trees, but never let's his side down.

Maybe with a bit of help from the management with a bike or engine for mattie he could well be a great signing, He had been round long enough and it could be his year.

Matty has always seemed to be one of those riders, who never seemed to ride two races the same, in one he can come out and look a world beater, in the next he can look pretty much like a novice..