British Speedway Forum
ProudtobeaBrummie

Birmingham Brummies 2017 Hat Trick

Now that Lakeside have dropped down into the NL, have they had to relinquish all their riding assets like Birmingham did? If so, is Zach Wajtknecht a free agent again? i.e. NOT under any priority obligation to ride for Lakeside? Would he still be an option for the Brummies on his newly reduced average, I wonder? There's certainly some "unfinished business" to be tidied up I think.

Assets don't really have an obligation to ride for their side and what reduced average are you referring to?

Assets don't really have an obligation to ride for their side and what reduced average are you referring to?

He started 2016 on 9.91 and ended it on 8.59

A team keeps the assets they had, they just cant sign any new assets

I'm sure I read something by Brian Buck that said that Birmingham were made to forfeit the assets that they had ...

Edit - found it

Theoretically, they will, but I would expect them to either come to some kind of arrangement with another club to "keep" their assets for them, or else they would "cash them in" as it were.

Birmingham were deprived of the admittedly few assets that they held, when the Brummies dropped down to the National League in 2015 and were also not allowed to retain the four riders who were signed on at the start of the 2015 season when the "no assets" rule was introduced.

Edited by uk martin

As I recall the Lakeside licence is only on hold for a year which implies they keep their assets until next years AGM when they may return to the Senior Leagues. If they don't return then they would lose them and come under NL rules of no assets, which is what happened with Eastbourne. I do not recall all the details but I believe Birmingham did not consider a return and simply folded, subsequently deciding to enter the NL.

The Brum supporters should have a better memory of this than me.

The whole concept of no assets for NL is so wrong to me. There are already 17 of last years NL riders In this years Championship and 6 in the Premiership of which just 3 are double up's between the two. Therefore 20 in all (so far) allowing those leagues to replace expensive foreign imports and reducing their cost base.

The NL clubs get no compensation for the efforts and cash they have put in to bring most of these lads on, even though they often struggle to keep their own heads above water.

Time I think for the NL to get their own Mike Parker and do their own thing, I helped him at Hackney and he would not have put up with it..

• Like 1

Pretty sure when Brum folded all thier assets went to the bspa.

When James Shanes signed for Kent both the bspa and Poole referred to kent as his parent club, so not sure what the assets situation is.

I know there is no legal way that assets can be stripped without compensation being paid, so we have to assume the rule applied to new assets. Clubs dropping down have chosen to do so, so may have to sign over thier assets as a condition of joining the league. Although it's anyone's guess, as I have spoken to a promoters and managers and no one is 100 percent certain.

It's certainly going to be interesting seeing what new talent is unearthed in 2017.

Personally hoping Hume and Smith are back tho. Plus Bacon if he can be fitted in.

Solid enough, would have rather had Perry back over Bacon but far from a disaster, gives us a bit more to play with at #2. First reserve signing will be vital though.

Your stacking your team up balanced as well like Eastbourne, aslong as you can get a good middle order and reserves in then you should be competing again

Plus remember all three of those which you have signed are on false averages as all scored well throughout year so would gave scored bonus points so technically should be all 8point riders in most teams last year

Edited by Nathan Mole
  • Like 1

Looks like the Brummies are going for a more strength in depth approach but that's a decent top three. If Smith returns that's a very good top four but could lead to problems at the bottom end if the Brummies can't secure at least one of the better three pointers that are coming through. They'll be there or thereabouts again I'm sure.

Looks like the Brummies are going for a more strength in depth approach but that's a decent top three. If Smith returns that's a very good top four but could lead to problems at the bottom end if the Brummies can't secure at least one of the better three pointers that are coming through. They'll be there or thereabouts again I'm sure.

It'll be a strong top 4 but I'm struggling to see where the potential from reserve is going to come from.

• Like 1

Looking good so far.

Where are the best new things going next year?

Looking good so far.

Where are the best new things going next year?

Brennan to Eastie, Jenkins to Mildenhall, Bickley to BV and, to a lesser extent, Lawlor to Cradley. It doesn't look like Brum will be able to match those despite having Zach last year and the Jacks this year. Edited by Islander15
  • Like 2