British Speedway Forum
ProudtobeaBrummie

Birmingham Brummies 2017 Hat Trick

Support class equates to MDL; however, they were only a second or so slower than the Open class, which contained some good NL riders. The point is, that Kean could only be replaced by an unattached 3 point rider anyway, which would generally be an MDL rider. These will only improve if they are given a chance in the NL.

The support class does equate to the MDL(RIP) but the lower end of it, those looking to move into the NL need to be in the Open and mixing it with the faster riders like O'Keefe, Parker etc. In fairness to Luke as im only looking at the scores from one meeting but Alex Spooner scored double his points, is only Kents number 8 and also has some work to do to score NL points.

... hopefully he gets a decent run in the side.

Let's see what the weather allows to happen in the next 6ish weeks.

The support class does equate to the MDL(RIP)

I am told that the MDL (and SDL) will be going ahead with four 500cc riders this year.

• Like 2

I am told that the MDL (and SDL) will be going ahead with four 500cc riders this year.

If that is true it's the best news I have heard all winter

In each team ... actually, the teams will have a squad of more than four, because the riders are purely amateur and can't necessarily go to all matches. I am helping a rider (from Birmingham) who will ride for a south coast SDL team, but only for home matches at Plymouth, and at Somerset; Eastbourne etc. are too far so other squad members will do these.

In each team ... actually, the teams will have a squad of more than four, because the riders are purely amateur and can't necessarily go to all matches. I am helping a rider (from Birmingham) who will ride for a south coast SDL team, but only for home matches at Plymouth, and at Somerset; Eastbourne etc. are too far so other squad members will do these.

Whilst i fully accept that the SDL/MDL are purely amateur leagues and its not always possible to get the same riders every week it certainly doesn't sound that good when you state we can/will only do the home meetings and leave the other squad members to do the other further meetings.

Riders gaining experience and in the earlier stages i can understand but those with NL aspirations it irks me slightly as the distances don't get any less.

Squad systems do help spread the burden but if there are riders who are prepared to do all/most meetings they would be chosen first if i was a team manager (which thank heavens im not).

I'm assuming that this is for amateur riders of any age?

Has anyone thought of lightening the load on the (say) under 15's by having 250cc racing? I was well impressed by the 250cc racing that I saw as part of a German meeting at Gustrow last year. If it's an another rung on the ladder it may help some make it onto that step rather than just balking at the prospect of going all out at 500cc before they are ready for it. Surely it's not beyond the wit of man, to construct a race formula whereby 250cc races and 500cc riders are combined in a team and the races are worked out so that some heats are for 500cc and others are for 250cc? I wouldn't mind betting that some of the better 250cc riders may even be able to beat the less able 500cc riders if both types of bikes were allowed to race against each other.

Has anyone thought of lightening the load on the (say) under 15's by having 250cc racing? I was well impressed by the 250cc racing that I saw as part of a German meeting at Gustrow last year. If it's an another rung on the ladder it may help some make it onto that step rather than just balking at the prospect of going all out at 500cc before they are ready for it. Surely it's not beyond the wit of man, to construct a race formula whereby 250cc races and 500cc riders are combined in a team and the races are worked out so that some heats are for 500cc and others are for 250cc? I wouldn't mind betting that some of the better 250cc riders may even be able to beat the less able 500cc riders if both types of bikes were allowed to race against each other.

Im certainly of the opinion that the 2500cc bikes are a brilliant way of progressing a young riders career but at present there is a real lack of riders competing on them to make it viable to introduce them to any form of league. Whilst im sure a couple have stepped up (Thompson twins etc) last season the max number of 250 riders across the 8 youth rounds was 6 and most rounds had just 4.

Im certainly of the opinion that the 2500cc bikes are a brilliant way of progressing a young riders career but at present there is a real lack of riders competing on them to make it viable to introduce them to any form of league. Whilst im sure a couple have stepped up (Thompson twins etc) last season the max number of 250 riders across the 8 youth rounds was 6 and most rounds had just 4.

2500cc bikes - sounds like drag racing lol!

• Like 1

2500cc bikes - sounds like drag racing lol!

Whoops! An excellent training tool though......if you ca turn one of those you can turn anything :D

they do progress through the different power levels as all the riders coming into the NL now from the youth champs have progressed through from 125/150cc to 250cc then the 500cc bikes.

Whilst i fully accept that the SDL/MDL are purely amateur leagues and its not always possible to get the same riders every week it certainly doesn't sound that good when you state we can/will only do the home meetings and leave the other squad members to do the other further meetings.

Riders gaining experience and in the earlier stages i can understand but those with NL aspirations it irks me slightly as the distances don't get any less.

Squad systems do help spread the burden but if there are riders who are prepared to do all/most meetings they would be chosen first if i was a team manager (which thank heavens im not).

The matches I mentioned is what we were offered. In any case, travel to places like (saving your presence!) Kent is just not on for us: most of the diesel cost comes out of my pension. I don't mind this, within reason, but NL riders receive travel costs so it would not be a problem then.

Yes, although this year NL riders are no longer allowed, as some MDL clubs last year were taking the mickey by filling their teams with NL riders to make sure of winning the play offs!

Whilst NL riders receive a contribution it certainly does not cover all travel costs however as you are funding the majority of the fuel yourself i tip my hat to you and fully accept that as a non contracted rider you have the right to choose where you ride and when.

Back to the Brummies & i see that Tom Bacon has given up a very well paid job to go racing full time. Obviously determined to make a good go of things this year.

Whilst NL riders receive a contribution it certainly does not cover all travel costs however as you are funding the majority of the fuel yourself i tip my hat to you and fully accept that as a non contracted rider you have the right to choose where you ride and when.

Back to the Brummies & i see that Tom Bacon has given up a very well paid job to go racing full time. Obviously determined to make a good go of things this year.

Not me - I am about 50 years too old! :cry: As for Tom; he deserves to succeed IMO.