British Speedway Forum
ProudtobeaBrummie

Birmingham Brummies 2017 Hat Trick

Very true however i said the same thing about Layne last season and that resulted in him jumping from Kings Lynn before he was pushed, bombing at Cradley and only finally getting going on the Island. I don't doubt his ability in fact i think he has more talent than most reserves signed this season its just the confidence side that seems to let him down. IF Brum can unlock the best of him they have a very good signing.

I was surprised that Layne didn't make it with Cradley last year. He looked spectacular and perfectly quick enough on his first couple of meetings but he overdid it and fell quite a lot. Somebody had to make way when Bradley Andrews finally started to score some points and he was the unfortunate one.

Seems to have the talent and I hope he has a decent season with the Brummies (as long as he doesn't score too many against us!).

Indeed.

I'd find it hard to believe that the Warriors wouldn't have wanted him back on 2017 and they did give him an opportunity when no-one else would. Furthermore, he improved significantly at Smallbrook.

Not the easiest place to get to but I'd say he owed them enough to go back this year.

There's no doubt that doubt that Layne owes the Warriors a debt of gratitude however im sure ive seen somewhere that it meant he & his father were taking two days off work for home meetings? I guess there becomes a limit between where a rider would like to be & where they can afford to be?

• Like 1

So no Jack Smith, very disappointing, I've no doubt we tried though.

Ritchings started the season like a house on fire but he was the "weak link" by the end, if there was one. We've gone top heavy so he's going to have to find that early season form again.

Edited by CUFC_Brummie

Christ, that's a shocker. Heats with Ritchings in were the heats to attack last year. The only chink in Brummies armor I would say.

• Like 3

To be honest I don't think Ritchings would have been in their plans. When it was certain that they would have to drop 3 or 4 from last years seven then Ritchings looked the obvious first out.

However there is such a shortage of 4 and 5 point riders that to get a balanced team is difficult and once they could not apparently get Smith then better to bring in Ritchings and have three in the tail rather than four.

A lot of teams are coming up against the same problem I think.

Very surprised that Ritchings is included as he was definitely the weakest link last year but his shortcomings were hidden as the rest of the team performed so well but will be exposed this season.

Its certainly apparent that some sides are finding it difficult to build a balanced team and in reality Brum have 4 x 7 pointers (JPB marginally under, Bacon nearer 8). Still a frustratingly decent side being put together though.

Edited by Sings4Kings

Ritciings is a surprising returnee as he was the only one who didn't improve last season. A strong top 4 but means the Brummies likely need to find another 2 3.00 men from somewhere. I guess Smith not returning has changed team building somewhat and make sure them look a fair bit weaker imo as Smith would be good for an average over 8, plus they could've signed a rider on an average around 4.00 for the number 2 spot.

• Like 1

I know I will upset Brummie fans but I feel their run is over. Are their top 4 so strong? I have my doubts, JPB spent the year in the reserve slot to get his average, often with extra rides in hand picked heats. This year he will I'm sure take the No 3 jacket from Ritchings which will make maintaining his average more difficult.

Bacon and Hulme surprised us all with their improvement last year but you cannot normally do that every year and so they will probably need a year to catch their breath so to speak. Ritchings, well enough said.

Success in the league is all about increasing averages. All teams if performing equally should go up by 3 points because they are riding for 42 against 39. I can't see the Brum heat leaders putting on more than that so they will have to find something special in the bottom 3 to stay in the hunt.

I know we all like to think our riders are going to be the ones to develop until reality kicks in .

I know I will upset Brummie fans but I feel their run is over. Are their top 4 so strong? I have my doubts, JPB spent the year in the reserve slot to get his average, often with extra rides in hand picked heats. This year he will I'm sure take the No 3 jacket from Ritchings which will make maintaining his average more difficult.

Bacon and Hulme surprised us all with their improvement last year but you cannot normally do that every year and so they will probably need a year to catch their breath so to speak. Ritchings, well enough said.

Success in the league is all about increasing averages. All teams if performing equally should go up by 3 points because they are riding for 42 against 39. I can't see the Brum heat leaders putting on more than that so they will have to find something special in the bottom 3 to stay in the hunt.

I know we all like to think our riders are going to be the ones to develop until reality kicks in .

They do have a strong top 4 but then they aren't going to have the bottom end strength that the likes of Eastbourne or Mildenhall do.

We finished with a total team average 4.5 points higher than anyone else last year, so these guys aren't also-rans, they're still really good NL riders, I think it just means we're more likely to be in a tight battle for the top 4 rather than romping to the league title like we did last year without let's face it, unprecedented improvement from 3 riders (rather than just one) who started on a sub-4 point average. I expect JPB to put a couple of points on his average and if the other 3 can largely maintain theirs between them then we're not asking a ridiculous amount from the other 3 guys, if one of them ends up hitting the ground running then we'll be laughing.

The league looks really competitive this year, but I still more than expect us to challenge for the playoffs regardless of who fills the last two spots.

Edited by CUFC_Brummie

JPB will be at No1 this season, he was improving all season and some of the riders he was beating at end of season was amazing.

And he will improve so much more as result of having team place at Sheffield in the Championship

Edited by Nathan Mole

JPB will be at No1 this season, he was improving all season and some of the riders he was beating at end of season was amazing.

And he will improve so much more as result of having team place at Sheffield in the Championship

I predict Hume will end the season at number 1.

The Brummies top four is the best declared so far by a long way. Bacon, Hume and JPB will all stake a claim for the number one race jacket, while if Ritchings can manage to do the same then the bottom end deficiencies shouldn't hurt their cause too much.

Smith would have been a better signing than Ritchings of course, with a lower starting figure and more room for improvement, but Ritchings realistically will probably be a second string for most of the year.

Key man will be Cupitt, if he kicks on then Birmingham will take some stopping again.

If he rides like he did in the second leg of the ko cup final at Eastie he most definitely will be No1 !!