British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
daveallan81

1930 Northern League Newcastle Gosforth V Glasgow

While working on a Glasgow results history I discovered a result for this match, a 28-8 win for Glasgow. The information came from a results grid on Speedway Researcher. Unfortunately I have been unable to ascertain who produced the grid, or the associated league table which includes the result.

Grid http://www.speedwayresearcher.org.uk/docs/1930/nlresultsgrid.pdf

Table http://www.speedwayresearcher.org.uk/docs/1930/nltable.pdf

I have spoken to Jim Henry and Bob Ozanne who have both undertaken some serious research for this season and neither has any record of the meeting taking place. Jim's file states that it was scheduled for 6th September but never staged. I must also add that a 1930 results list compiled by Barry Stephenson carries no mention of the meeting but does include individual meetings at Gosforth on both Friday 5th and Monday 8th of September. Gosforth appear to have withdrawn from the league at the end of July.

Does anyone have any information at all regarding this meeting?

While working on a Glasgow results history I discovered a result for this match, a 28-8 win for Glasgow. The information came from a results grid on Speedway Researcher. Unfortunately I have been unable to ascertain who produced the grid, or the associated league table which includes the result.

Grid http://www.speedwayresearcher.org.uk/docs/1930/nlresultsgrid.pdf

Table http://www.speedwayresearcher.org.uk/docs/1930/nltable.pdf

I have spoken to Jim Henry and Bob Ozanne who have both undertaken some serious research for this season and neither has any record of the meeting taking place. Jim's file states that it was scheduled for 6th September but never staged. I must also add that a 1930 results list compiled by Barry Stephenson carries no mention of the meeting but does include individual meetings at Gosforth on both Friday 5th and Monday 8th of September. Gosforth appear to have withdrawn from the league at the end of July.

Does anyone have any information at all regarding this meeting?

Perhaps there was some confusion arising from the fact that on 19th April 1930 White City Manchester beat Gosforth 28-8. Possibly on the grid you refer to the author mistakenly then also entered the result as 8-28 for Gosforth v Glasgow White City. I have never seen mention of the Gosforth v Glasgow result referred to in speedway magazines or local newspapers for the area from 1930. Such a result would have been a surprise as the highest score in 7 other Glasgow away league meetings that season was just 13. I understand the last Gosforth Northern League match in 1930 was a 17-18 defeat at Leicester Super on 2nd August, following the 12-24 defeat at home to Belle Vue on 30th July.

Edited by BL65

Yes I had considered the White Cities angle. It's certainly a possibility and as you say the prospect of a Glasgow near-whitewash away victory seems remote. I must then assume that the associated league table is compiled directly from the results grid and not, for example, from a publication.

Incidentally the Leicester Super 25-11 win over Glasgow also seems to be an error, all indications are that it finished 24-11.

Thanks for your input, always appreciated.