British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
kraftwerk

Krsko 2017 - Round 1

they have only had 2 - 1st one abandoned because of the starting gate trouble( I will never accept that it was the track that caused the calling off !!!) and last year which was superb.

Which is why I mentioned "I seemed to recall" I know the first gp at warsaw was bad, yes it was the starting gate fiasco, but still bad.

Would love to see that line up at Belle Vue. Surely somebody is pushing for them to get a GP next year, in addition to Cardiff ?

It was not what a flag ship event should be like and as many have said this needs to start with a bit more oomph rather than the damp squib it turned out to be. Taking GP,s to third rate tracks in places like this is probably not the image that prime sponsors would want to be associated with and they are who you need for this to be taken seriously.

Track preparation aside, Krsko isn't the worst venue although it's not really a prime tourist destination. The apparent lack of oversight that causes these sorts of recurring issues at what's supposed to be the sport's premier event, is arguably more of a concern than where this GP was held.

As for sponsors, they seem to be relegated to a footnote on the SGP website this season...

Actually Krsko looks a nice setting, a good grandstand area, and plenty of banking, as in Sweden, for spectators to stand.

The Slovenian GP should have been a showpiece for speedway on at least 2 counts

1) the first GP of the 2017 season, what a showpiece that should be. The riders were up for it and it could.should have been a cracking meeting. Lost opportunity no 1

2) a showpiece for Slovenian speedway as well. I am supposing that it was shown on Slovenian TV, what should have been great TV viewing to encourage the people and the country to support speedway, turned into a damp squid. Lost opportunity no 2.

Ah well, lessons will have been learned for next year.....or will they.

Ah well, lessons will have been learned for next year.....or will they.

You can bank on it.So many lessons have been learnt over the years to get the opening GP to this level.As the saying goes,.....ain't no stopping us now :neutral:

• Like 2

change your name to Mystic Meg. :neutral:

Was it dull last year, I cannot remember.

Last year wasn't too bad but it was the exception rather than the rule.

It was not what a flag ship event should be like and as many have said this needs to start with a bit more oomph rather than the damp squib it turned out to be. Taking GP,s to third rate tracks in places like this is probably not the image that prime sponsors would want to be associated with and they are who you need for this to be taken seriously. Based on this meeting you might just as well hold the opener on the Isle of Wight, at least a decent track, guaranteed good support and imagine what it would do for the local tourist economy early doors. That aside, the mix of riders will I am sure throw up some interesting results as the season progresses. I do think that GP's need to go to another level but the current backers do no seem to be able to provide consistently good entertainment which can hold the interest of the regular supporter as well as the one off attendee. Perhaps the GP circus has had its day in the current form and maybe less meetings but those that are held are at quality venues and fans can get discounted tickets if they subscribe to all the meetings. Still let's see what sort of show the next GP offers.

Problem is there is nowhere else to take the GP

Perhaps the GP circus has had its day in the current form and maybe less meetings but those that are held are at quality venues and fans can get discounted tickets if they subscribe to all the meetings.

They can't fill the quality venues as it is, so what would change by reducing the number of meetings?

They can't fill the quality venues as it is, so what would change by reducing the number of meetings?

More people would go to each venue as there are less gps? Knock it down to 6 gooduns .....

More people would go to each venue as there are less gps? Knock it down to 6 gooduns .....

When there were only 6 GPs they still didn't fill the venues.

When there were only 6 GPs they still didn't fill the venues.

I don't care if they fill them or not but there is more chance of doing so with less GPS for people to attend surely....

I don't care if they fill them or not but there is more chance of doing so with less GPS for people to attend surely....

Not sure those conclusions can be drawn. Would the local fans who go to the German, Czech and Slovenian GPs for example, travel somewhere else if there was no GP in their country?

In British speedway when tracks close, some might start following a neighbouring track but I think most are just lost to the sport.

• Like 1