British Speedway Forum
Pieman72

Does British Speedway Have Future?

What an incredibly sweeping verging on offensive statement to make. :lol:

You do realise “youngsters” differ in mind set, mentality, outlook and attention span yes, there isn’t just a temple cookie cutter template for “young” people

The days of the stereotype of stroppy, uninterested gothic teenager died out about 15 years ago which shows why folks should attempt to asses, judge and speak on behalf of young people, given most who attempt to do so, and in particular on here, are not that young. :lol:

Offensive? Obviously, I'm talking youngsters and young adults in GENERAL. There are always exceptions to every rule.

Anyone who thinks there are thousands of under-35s out there just waiting to be told about the fine arts of British speedway is delusional.

Look around the stadium the next time you are at a track and count how many teenagers are there - and I mean those who have paid to get in and not youngsters who have been taken (dragged?) there by their parents. On a normal race night you will see hardly any.

It's very obvious from speedway's age demographic that the die-hard adults (the 40-plus bracket) have not been able to persuade their offspring to follow them to speedway on a regular basis, in any great numbers. So if the people who love the sport can't get their kids, or younger family members (grandkids, nephews, nieces, etc) interested in attending on a regular basis, then what chance promoters sourcing new, untapped support from the youth market?

To attract a SIGNIFICANT number of the youth market would take a radical and very expensive national marketing/advertising campaign that the sport in its current depleted state cannot afford.

Although I have no interest in stock cars, banger racing, hot rods or whatever it's called these days, but I understand from those who do that attendances for cars at Arena-Essex are far in excess of those turning up to watch Lakeside Hammers. Is this also the case at Ipswich? Are there any lessons to be learned there? Are the fans paying to watch the cars much younger than speedway and how does the cost of admission compare? Perhaps someone on here can confirm....

The key to short-term SURVIVAL - apart from the move to semi-pro, as covered in my first post - is to work much harder to keep the interest of those growing steadily disillusioned and win back the support of those who have been disaffected in the past 5 years. But, obviously, you need to give them a good reason to give the sport another chance.

Edited by tmc
  • Like 1

Perhaps they can take there laptops or i pads with them..

Not sure whether that was said in jest or not...but it is definitely an avenue worth looking at.

I've mentioned it in another thread. You've only got to look between heats, many people have their head in the phone.

A Club App maybe something worth looking at, which would keep people 'entertained' between heats.

It could be interactive...with the 'Circus Master with the Mic' ;-) Interacting with the crowd via the App.

Children could be involved...I gave an example of a 'treasure hunt', with clues being given out between heats.

Comps and updates from the pits via the app.

One of the great aspects of watching Speedway on TV, is seeing what's going on in the pits, and the rider interviews and whole feeling being generated in there.

That's lost now at a great many tracks.

Twitter feeds could be also better used at meetings.

There are so many features available through technology, that are free to use, that I feel could be tapped into better, that could enhance the matchday meeting, especially for the younger generations who use these features a lot.

• Like 1

If the stereotyping of the younger generation is correct then you are never going to persuade your offspring, " I'm not going to be seen where my dad goes"

The younger generation have to be reached out to so that they discover it for themselves. as for condition of facilities etc that doesn't affect the likes of Glastonbury, it seems the rougher the better.

• Like 1

It's not just the product that has caused a continuing fall in attendances.

We know from talking to our Retro Speedway customers that many speedway fans, either unemployed or part-time employed, have had their state benefits cut in the past couple of years. People are picking and choosing more, and in many cases have given up completely, because they have reduced disposable income and simply cannot justify the cost of attending tracks.

And then, because of the age demographic, some are simply dying.

Not sure whether that was said in jest or not...but it is definitely an avenue worth looking at.

I've mentioned it in another thread. You've only got to look between heats, many people have their head in the phone.

A Club App maybe something worth looking at, which would keep people 'entertained' between heats.

It could be interactive...with the 'Circus Master with the Mic' ;-) Interacting with the crowd via the App.

Children could be involved...I gave an example of a 'treasure hunt', with clues being given out between heats.

One of the great aspects of watching Speedway on TV, is seeing what's going on in the pits, and the rider interviews and whole feeling being generated in there.

There are so many features available through technology, that are free to use, that I feel could be tapped into better, that could enhance the matchday meeting, especially for the younger generations who use these features a lot.

Hear what you're saying about engaging with a younger audience through the use of technology but aren't Apps very expensive to develop? Certainly way beyond the financial limits of what the BSPA and certainly individual tracks could ever finance?

Besides, the truth is, many clubs don't even have a Facebook page or a decent Twitter feed, and their websites leave a lot to be desired too, so how do you visualise them coming up with an App that is sufficiently impressive to grab and sustain the attention of a younger crowd who already entertain themselves from the comfort of their bedrooms (not a dark and dingy, cold speedway stadium) via an untold multitude of different and much more sophisticated Apps for games, which are coming at them from every angle?

My last word on the 'kids' debate.

Forget them. They are not, and never will be, interested in speedway as it exists.

• Like 3

We know from talking to our Retro Speedway customers that many speedway fans, either unemployed or part-time employed, have had their state benefits cut in the past couple of years. People are picking and choosing more, and in many cases have given up completely, because they have reduced disposable income and simply cannot justify the cost of attending tracks.

Hear what you're saying about engaging with a younger audience through the use of technology but aren't Apps very expensive to develop? Certainly way beyond the financial limits of what the BSPA and certainly individual tracks could ever finance?

Besides, the truth is, many clubs don't even have a Facebook page or a decent Twitter feed, and their websites leave a lot to be desired too, so how do you visualise them coming up with an App that is sufficiently impressive to grab and sustain the attention of a younger crowd who already entertain themselves from the comfort of their bedrooms (not a dark and dingy, cold speedway stadium) via an untold multitude of different and much more sophisticated Apps for games, which are coming at them from every angle?

Forget them. They are not, and never will be, interested in speedway as it exists.

Another problem is access, many tracks can't be visited unless you have transport or someone willing to take you. When I started you could visit lots of tracks by public transport that are either closed or replaced by something miles from anywhere and people nearby accepted the noise.

Whatever happened to talking / chatting with your mates / family about how good the heat was that you have just seen and whats coming up next. That's what we used to do ! What with fetching a drink or food, a visit to the track shop or using the facilities there always seemed to be something to do between heats , it used to be a rush back before the next heat started.Unfortunately the racing isn't much to talk about these days and most of the friends have stopped going for this reason, League champions or not !

As for youngsters I was hooked at an early age by the speed, the smell and the noise. Unfortunately only the speed remains as it was, so If I had my time again I probably wouldn't be hooked for the last 30 years, Although in my 30th season of watching speedway I have watched less this year domestically then any of the last 29.

Edited by New Science

The App idea is a solid one for all ages perhaps something along the lines of predict the race result and the individual closest to the correct results throughout the match gets xxxx. It would need to be developed by an outsider though and then sold to individual clubs / the bspa?

Transport has been mentioned? How about a trial coach from the local town centre to the stadium? If you could pick up 40 extra attendees it would definitely be worth it.

Merchandise is definitely something that needs addressing. It needs to be updated across the board, be far more relevant, fashionable and far better quality. Other sports have identities through merchandising and the added advertising that comes with it. Speedway has bespoke clipboards and a few old caps that seem to be worn for the lifetime of the owner.

How about replica shirts that reflect the teams kevlars / race bibs for that season? Names & numbers could be printed on the back if requested? Shirts updated each season as the designs/riders change. This helps generate the identity that would be taken away from the stadiums.

Finally its all down to advertising. Pure and simple advertising. The location, the time/date & a brief explanation of what to expect (ideally via video format as this better shows the aspects of the sport). How many stadiums are dual use and yet how many of the other customers even know what speedway is? How hard would it be to have a video playing at entrances on the nights when greyhounds or stox are running? Discount entry to those who attend the other events might tempt some first timers in.

Whatever happened to talking / chatting with your mates / family about how good the heat was that you have just seen and whats coming up next. That's what we used to do ! What with fetching a drink or food, a visit to the track shop or using the facilities there always seemed to be something to do between heats , it used to be a rush back before the next heat started.Unfortunately the racing isn't much to talk about these days and most of the friends have stopped going for this reason, League champions or not !

As for youngsters I was hooked at an early age by the speed, the smell and the noise. Unfortunately only the speed remains as it was, so If I had my time again I probably wouldn't be hooked for the last 30 years, Although in my 30th season of watching speedway I have watched less this year domestically then any of the last 29.

And the fact that you can talk to the away supporters next to you. I mentioned in another post that the younger generation wouldn't go where their dads go, 30 years ago did you go because of your dad/family or did you discover speedway for yourself?

Nice idea's... crucially meetings should cost £10 no more. At the moment £41 including a programme for me and my wife is ridiculous we don't spend that much on food then there is petrol the odd pint and a burger, someone in charge of speedway needs a reality check. Most individuals do not posess that amount on money for a leisure activity.

• Like 3

Course it has a future.

However... doesn't help that the likes of Retro Speedway and certain pages of the Speedway Star revert back to the olden days.... making us realise just how bad today's product really holds up.

Just imagine though, modern day fans, in 20 years from now you will no doubt be reading about the tricks and scrapes today's riders got up to.

I can't wait either......

Offensive? Obviously, I'm talking youngsters and young adults in GENERAL. There are always exceptions to every rule.

Anyone who thinks there are thousands of under-35s out there just waiting to be told about the fine arts of British speedway is delusional.

Look around the stadium the next time you are at a track and count how many teenagers are there - and I mean those who have paid to get in and not youngsters who have been taken (dragged?) there by their parents. On a normal race night you will see hardly any.

It's very obvious from speedway's age demographic that the die-hard adults (the 40-plus bracket) have not been able to persuade their offspring to follow them to speedway on a regular basis, in any great numbers. So if the people who love the sport can't get their kids, or younger family members (grandkids, nephews, nieces, etc) interested in attending on a regular basis, then what chance promoters sourcing new, untapped support from the youth market?

To attract a SIGNIFICANT number of the youth market would take a radical and very expensive national marketing/advertising campaign that the sport in its current depleted state cannot afford.

Although I have no interest in stock cars, banger racing, hot rods or whatever it's called these days, but I understand from those who do that attendances for cars at Arena-Essex are far in excess of those turning up to watch Lakeside Hammers. Is this also the case at Ipswich? Are there any lessons to be learned there? Are the fans paying to watch the cars much younger than speedway and how does the cost of admission compare? Perhaps someone on here can confirm....

The key to short-term SURVIVAL - apart from the move to semi-pro, as covered in my first post - is to work much harder to keep the interest of those growing steadily disillusioned and win back the support of those who have been disaffected in the past 5 years. But, obviously, you need to give them a good reason to give the sport another chance.

If there are exceptions why generalise?

I doubt anyone does think there is thousands of people willing and wanting to start attending irrespective of their age, probably validated given no one has said they expect them to start attending in their thousands, nor does it look like there needs to be given the sport probably doesn’t need that market in order to subsidize it as it is pitching at what it does attract (smart) and has done for a number of years now (again though thousands more would be nice and no one would turn them away).

I tend not to count people in attendance or dwell on such things as it is not why I would attend a meeting, or even would I begin to attempt to place the reason people are there, there is literally little way of knowing people have been dragged to speedway unless they are asked, I don’t understand why that narrative has to be written or placed?

There are several narratives written in your post that I am not even sure ring true, re survival etc and the crowds the sport should attract and needs to attract, these are positions placed on the sport by individuals that they then use as an opposition, it is an opposition that doesn’t even exist.

Course it has a future.

However... doesn't help that the likes of Retro Speedway and certain pages of the Speedway Star revert back to the olden days.... making us realise just how bad today's product really holds up.

Just imagine though, modern day fans, in 20 years from now you will no doubt be reading about the tricks and scrapes today's riders got up to.

I can't wait either......

You mean the halcyon days of 2016 when thousands packed the National Stadium to watch the controversial multiple time British World Champion booed and goaded all meeting before turning in a victorious ride much to the disgruntlement of the home crowd which then spilled over and led to home hero Craig Cook fighting with Swedish GP Star Freddie Lindgren.

Or the 2016 World Champion who walked out a meeting falling an allegation of race fixing.

The narrative likely to be written in 20 years, when they cut out all the scrap and fat like they do in those events that took place 20 years previously, those kind of days you are talking about, trick and scrapes like that?

Sure in 20 years’ time they might be a decent read.

Edited by Minor Interest
  • Like 2

I googled it...as I don't know...the price varies. Seems there are various options depending on how intricate it is. Maybe it could be freelanced out, or if someone in the industry volunteered their time for the love of the sport, as many other individuals do.

I agree, Websites and facebook/twitter could be improved immensely. In fact only this year I put a link up on mine of a Clubs website, because a friend said he remembered Speedway from his childhood. He didn't even realise a Club was still running from 20 miles away. Plus he mentioned how poor the website was and they could do better by showing more action on the website.

Tbh...it's a futile discussion, as there are so many problems with Speedway, this is the least of their worries. I'm really not sure how it can survive tbh. Clubs should have invested better for the long term sustainability of the sport many moons ago, instead of being so short sighted, and fixing everything short term.

When the sport was at it's height, Clubs should have been doing their best to find suitable land to build their own 'stadiums' and tracks on...not leasing. It would have been a lot easier to do back then.

• Like 1

People don't like change and that's understandable and it's no point reminiscing we have to look forwards; good or bad. From the contributions made following my original post I think there is a passion that won't let the sport die. Me and others will contribute financially but definitely not under the present system.

I'm so impressed with the replies thanks to everyone I think this is starting to take off keep the posts coming. Change will happen !!

• Like 1

If there are exceptions why generalise?

I doubt anyone does think there is thousands of people willing and wanting to start attending irrespective of their age, probably validated given no one has said they expect them to start attending in their thousands, nor does it look like there needs to be given the sport probably doesn’t need that market in order to subsidize it as it is pitching at what it does attract (smart) and has done for a number of years now (again though thousands more would be nice and no one would turn them away).

I tend not to count people in attendance or dwell on such things as it is not why I would attend a meeting, or even would I begin to attempt to place the reason people are there, there is literally little way of knowing people have been dragged to speedway unless they are asked, I don’t understand why that narrative has to be written or placed?

There are several narratives written in your post that I am not even sure ring true, re survival etc and the crowds the sport should attract and needs to attract, these are positions placed on the sport by individuals that they then use as an opposition, it is an opposition that doesn’t even exist.

You mean the halcyon days of 2016 when thousands packed the National Stadium to watch the controversial multiple time British World Champion booed and goaded all meeting before turning in a victorious ride much to the disgruntlement of the home crowd which then spilled over and led to home hero Craig Cook fighting with Swedish GP Star Freddie Lindgren.

Or the 2016 World Champion who walked out a meeting falling an allegation of race fixing.

The narrative likely to be written in 20 years, when they cut out all the scrap and fat like they do in those events that took place 20 years previously, those kind of days you are talking about, trick and scrapes like that?

Sure in 20 years’ time they might be a decent read.

Suppose I'm a funny so-and-so.... but I didn't find it interesting when it happened. Perhaps in 20 years' time...