British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
daveallan81

1962 Queries

Sidney, I made some comments in post #30 under your original topic on

'Fundin Olsen Nielsen Would They Have All Won More World Title's If There Had Been A Gp Series Around?'[/

Thanks BL great stuff.😆 Edited by Sidney the robin

These are the outstanding queries for 1962, boosted by the lack of a Southampton file to work from:

3rd April Southampton v Swindon Rained Off
Confirm date & rain-off
8th April Rye House Promoter's Trophy Rained Off
Confirm date & rain-off
1st May Southampton Pride Of The South Trophy Winner Dick Bradley
Confirm date & winner
22nd May Southampton South Of England Championship Winner Bjorn Knuttson
Confirm date & winner
8th June Wolverhampton W.C.Q.R. Tie W. Templeton/G. Warren/N. Hunter/T. Redmond
Speedway Researcher file reports this as a 4-way tie (on 13 points) but Wolverhampton programme reports a three-way tie. Which is correct?
3rd July Southampton W.C.Q.R. Winner Alby Golden
Confirm date & winner
22nd July Eastbourne v Poole (Challenge)
Result or fate of meeting - possibly not staged?
31st July Southampton v Continentals 52-44
Confirm date & result
8th August Norwich Pride Of The East Rained Off
Confirm date & rain-off
9th August Middlesbrough v Newcastle (Challenge)
Was this the Tyne-Tees Trophy 2nd Leg?
11th September St. Austell v Exeter v Plymouth
Result or fate of meeting - possibly not staged?
25th September Southampton v National League Select 50-27
Confirm date & result

3rd April Southampton - Persistent rain resulted in the meeting being postponed just before start time.

8th April Rye House - Following overnight rain, another heavy downpour as the meeting was about to start resulted in cancellation.

1st May Southampton - Dick Bradley and Cyril Roger both scored 13 points, with Bradley winning a run-off.

22nd May Southampton - Knutson won with a 15 point maximum, with Ron How second on 13. Ove Fundin, Barry Briggs and Tony Lewis scored 11 to tie for third place.

8th June Wolverhampton - There was a 4-rider tie for first place, with Willie Templeton, Graham Warren, Norman Hunter and Trevor Redmond all scoring 13 points. This is confirmed by both Speedway Star and my programme.

3rd July Southampton - Alby Golden and Neil Street both scored 12, with Golden winning a run-off for first place. Ronnie Genz was third with 11 points.

22nd July Eastbourne - I have a record of the result being Eastbourne 41 Poole 35, although the heat details are not completed in my programme.

31st July Southampton - The home team beat Continentals 52-44 (Southampton: Briggs 13, Vandeberg 11, Knustson 9, Golden 8, Roger 5, Bradley 5, Luckhurst 1, Continentals: Fundin 14, Craven 13, Nygren 5, Sjosten 5, Maidment 4, Larsson 2, Svensson 1).

8th August Norwich - According to my records this meeting was re-scheduled rather than rained off. It took place three weeks later. Norwich also staged home meetings on 4th and 11th August.

9th August Middlesbrough - This was an additional challenge match. Middlesbrough 37 Newcastle 41 on 31st May doubled as the Provincial League match and the second leg of the Tyne-Tees Trophy according to the Speedway Star.

11th September St. Austell - According to my records no meeting took place, the originally advertised open meeting having been removed from the fixture list.

25th September Southampton - Southampton 50 (Golden 10, Bradley 9, Knutson 9, Roger 8, Briggs 7, Vandenberg 7, Monk 0) Pick of the National League 27 (Sjosten 7, Nygren 5, Fundin 4, Lightfoot 4, Maidment 3, Mountford 3, Craven 1)

Edited by BL65
  • Like 1

Guest compost

1st May Southampton - Dick Bradley and Cyril Roger both scored 13 points, with Bradley winning a run-off.
22nd May Southampton - Knutson won with a 15 point maximum, with Ron How second on 13. Ove Fundin, Barry Briggs and Tony Lewis scored 11 to tie for third place.

3rd July Southampton - Alby Golden and Neil Street both scored 12, with Golden winning a run-off for first place. Ronnie Genz was third with 11 points.

31st July Southampton - The home team beat Continentals 52-44 (Southampton: Briggs 13, Vandeberg 11, Knustson 9, Golden 8, Roger 5, Bradley 5, Luckhurst 1, Continentals: Fundin 14, Craven 13, Nygren 5, Sjosten 5, Maidment 4, Larsson 2, Svensson 1).

25th September Southampton - Southampton 50 (Golden 10, Bradley 9, Knutson 9, Roger 8, Briggs 7, Vandenberg 7, Monk 0) Pick of the National League 27 (Sjosten 7, Nygren 5, Fundin 4, Lightfoot 4, Maidment 3, Mountford 3, Craven 1)

BL65 do you have heat details for the above meetings please ?

BL65 do you have heat details for the above meetings please ?

Yes, I do have the heat details in a pdf document. If you send me a PM with your email address I will forward it to you.